The best extreme melodic metal albums ever.

Haha OBSCURA?...MELODIC METAL?! Pure fucking hilarity. I haven't heard one section that could be called "melodic" by popular definition on that entire CD. WTF?!

It's DISSONANT; The opposite of traditional melody. I mean, sure there are some "hidden melodies," but I would hardly call it MELODIC (ranked with Sacramentum, et al, too!).

A few of mine:

Holymarsh - In The Holymarsh and Infliction Ov The Morbid Intention (excellent melo-death)
Anata - The Infernal Depths Of Hatred (tasteful use of unique melody)
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife (good use of quirky melody/solos and epic sections)
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun ("hidden" melodies abound...a style none have really matched, though Council Of The Fallen do a good impression at times!)
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (majestic and epic)
Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness (just fucking great)

Demigod 'slumber of sullen eyes' for example has traces of melody. I still would not label it melodic in a general sense. I don't listen to it thinking of it being melodic. I hear crushing oldschool doomy death metal with atmosphere.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness (just fucking great)

yes

i li kethat riff in that song where its like DUH DUH DA DA DA DA DA DA DA, DA DA DA, DA DA DA

I can't believe that I haven't mentioned my favorite album of all time, Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus. Sure, it's not melodeath or melodic black metal, but it's extreme doom metal with very melodic guitarwork, for the most part.

Opeth - Morningrise

In Flames - Colony, Whoracle

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II

Death - Symbolic

Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done, Character

Rapture - The Silent Stage

Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance

Hypocrisy - Obsculum Obscenum

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin

Amon Amarth - Versus the World

At the Gates - Red in the Sky is Ours

Mercyful Fate - Don't break the Oath

The Greys said:
October Tide is good just not as good as older katatonia.
Not as good as the first two, especially Dance of December Souls. But IMO definitely better than any of Katatonia's all clean vocal albums that aren't even metal. I don't, however, think that October Tide sounds much like early Katatonia. Early Katatonia is pure doom, and October Tide is as much melodic death as it is doom. In fact, October Tide is often too fast to be doom at all.

Albums I forgot to mention:
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Fragments of Unbecoming - Sterling Black Icon
Shadowsphere - Hellbound Heart
Desultory - Bitterness

By melodic, does that include non-death metal as well? :lol:

Bathory - Hammerheart (the peak of viking metal)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (a flawless prog-death album)
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side (power metal that doesn't come off as cheesy or pretentious)
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pts. 1 & 2 (the progenators of power metal)

Just off the top of my head. :kickass:

I don't know if this counts but....

The Angel and the Dark River - My Dying Bride

Brave Murder Day - Katatonia

Still Life - Opeth

Every album by In Flames except Lunar Strain/Subterranean and Reroute To Remain.

Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Amorphis - Tales From A Thousnand Lakes
Novembre - Classica
and Scat Symmetry - Pitch Black Process

That's all I can think of right now.

Thyrfing?

First four, Urkraft especially.

Amon Amarth-Versus the World