THE BIG QUESTION - Black vs. Death

Which genre do you prefer?? :)

• Black Metal

Votes: 39 46.4%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 45 53.6%

• Total voters
Why even choose ?

I just listen to what I like, black, death, jazz, wathever, as long as it souns good ( to me ).

Sticking to one style is bad, as death and black genres can define so MANY different styles.

I say death, because of the melodic death movement. Pure death metal generally annoys me(except for the super-technical stuff like Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Origin, Nile, etc...).

Black metal has some good stuff, though, from Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, And Oceans, Immortal, Darkthrone, Ulver, Satyricon, Melechesh, old Arcturus, to like Mayhem and Burzum and like, Celtic Frost and Venom and Mercyful Fate. But I'm only really a fan of a few of the bands.

Wow, I'm thuroughly surprised by the results thus far. Most of the time Black metal fans are shunned and called names I'll not mention here (at least where I'm from).

I voted for black metal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a death metal FREAK, especially the old veteran acts like Deicide and Dio and DEATH etc... but Black metal was really the genre that got me into the whole metal scene to begin with.

Old Cradle of Filth (though I'm a fan of their new stuff), Marduk, Immortal, Destroyer666, Emperor (HUGE fan)... these bands fucking rock. And let's not forget the founding father of the Black metal mind-set, (even Dani from Cradle of Filth said so) Glenn Danzig. *wails: under her black... WHOOOOOAAAA under her black wiiiings*

Also, Behemoth. Yea, I know they went pretty much straight-forward death metal towards the end of the 90s, but the original line-up was true black metal.

When I met (and got shitfaced with) Behemoth about a month ago, Nergal, the founding member and lead singer, was wearing a Destroyer666 shirt on stage and afterwards. He said he was still really into Black though their sound has changed a lot over the years.

Black metal is the shit.

What do you mean "which is the best?"?
Do you mean
-Which is the most liked?
-Which features the better songwriting?
-Which features the better musicianship?
Or something else?

Death Metal i like more than Black Metal , although Black Metal is gettin more closer to Death Metal ( at least the bands that are currently active)

Death by a long shot. For the most part, most of the black metal that strikes a chord with me leans on the more progressive or devient side, bands such as Bethlehem, Enslaved, Samael, Ulver, Diabolical Masquerade, or Sigh. I can still rock out to the more straightforward BM like old Bathory, Burzum, Darkthrone, old Celtic Frost and Beherit, but so much of the newer ultra-raw style I can't get into.

Black metal. Black metal bands are IMO far more original than death metal. And most death metal bands are too boring for me. They try to be extreme, but it doesn't work for me.

Death metal. I like the guitar work better (more palm muting and technical riffing), and it seems to be more aggressive and crushing than black metal. I still like black metal though. Hell, I like every genre of metal except for power metal.