The Books/Reading Thread

I finished these two books on Kindle over the past week. I know there are people who will always like physical books (myself included), but I've found it easier to read more with a Kindle. What are y'all's thoughts on it?

250_449324158540900ca28f00.jpg

51bE6SBNroL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's easier to bring ebooks with you since you can have them on your phone. I would still rather own physical versions of my favorite books even though it's less convenient to take them places.

It's easier to bring ebooks with you since you can have them on your phone. I would still rather own physical versions of my favorite books even though it's less convenient to take them places.

I tend to agree with you. I like the Kindle because it's easier to read a book when I'm on the treadmill or whatever. I don't have to worry about losing my place because the book won't stay open, etc. However, I am tempted to buy physical copies of everything I've read on Kindle thus far just because I have a bookcase I need to fill.

I need to get round to reading all the Neil Peart books. ( saw one above ) , and that Bram Stokers Dracula is very heavy going, I read that.

Alright, you've convinced me.

OODgrJ1.jpg

Ordered a bunch of books that have been on my list for a long time. Pretty excited to read all of these. Also included in the order was the first Vinland Saga hardcover but it was shipped separately and hasn't arrived yet.

I have yet to read Dune (still gotta finish LOTR first), but Dracula is a fucking work of art. Im not sure how they are selling it these days, but there are a lot of abridged versions out there, so make sure yours is the full version.

I finished these two books on Kindle over the past week. I know there are people who will always like physical books (myself included), but I've found it easier to read more with a Kindle. What are y'all's thoughts on it?

I probably feel very similar to the way you do. Id rather read a nice quality hardcover or even paperback book, but otherwise the Kindle is great. Being able to swap between books with a button anywhere you go, buy books and immediately start reading them, not worry about keeping your place with a bookmark, resize text, put on some screen glow for darker environments, look up words by just highlighting them, saving memorable quotes by doing the same thing, etc all put the Kindle experience above that of a mass market paperback at least. The one downside is font choice and text styling, which will sometimes take away from the intimacy of a book that has a specific style to it that the Kindle just isnt set up to replicate. And of course the tactile experience of reading from a real book, but fortunately the e-inks look really good and arent fatiguing on the eyes like a backlit screen or monitor, so a lot of the times it is worth giving up the genuine 'textbook' experience for the sake of all of the conveniences.

One thing that I cant jump on board of however is the use of ebooks instead of texbooks in a school or work environment (one which requires lots of referencing and flipping back and forth between pages).

Reactions: CiG
When I bought Thus Spoke Zarathustra and took it to my parents for a visit (because they live near the bookstore) my mother asked whether this book isn't forbidden in my country. Ah, Poles.
Don't you guys still have extensive blasphemy laws over there?