The Books/Reading Thread

Present Fiction:
Stephen King: The Talisman (a bit slow, still slow from where I am now).
Present Non-Fiction:
The Ra Material: The Law of One Series. Most Awesome Christmas Present ever. (Recommended to those interested in the Occult, Metaphysics, Meditation, Healing, Spirituality, Channeling, Science, and More)

haulage:
rothfuss - name of the wind
abercrombie - the blade itself
byatt - the painted man
morgan - the steel remains
hemingway - the old man and the sea
banville - the sea
woolf - the waves
updike - rabbit, run
roth - american pastoral
beckett - complete dramatic works
beckett - novel trilogy
williams - streetcar named desire
morrison - beloved
miller - death of a salesman
pynchon - crying of lot 49
nabokov - lolita
salinger - catcher in the rye
mitchell - cloud atlas
vonnegut - slaughterhouse 5
wordsworth - complete works

I've heard that Joe Abercrombie trilogy is good. Please give us a post on what you think once you've read the first book.

EDIT:
for the holiday I received:
Paul Auster- Leviathan and In the Country of Last Things (sorry Mike, no Moon Palace :( )
Charles Stross- Singularity Sky
Neal Stephenson- Anathem
R. Scott Bakker- Neuropath

non-fiction:
Walter Benn Michaels- The Shape of the Signifier
Hubert Dreyfus- What Computers Still Can't Do

Bought and began reading House of Leaves today. You can't even imagine my horror when Tom Navidson was introduced as being from my hometown. I almost just had a heart attack. I imagined it like the book had inputted my hometown into a blank left by the author (or authors?!).

This is pretty fucked up stuff. I like.

:kickass:

on a related note, my lit theory professor loved my House of Leaves paper. This is what he said in a facebook message to me:
I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your paper on HOUSE OF LEAVES. I really like what did with idea of the house as a liminal space. Very good stuff.

Einherjar, if you or anybody else is interested in reading it, lemme know and I'll email it to you

:kickass:

on a related note, my lit theory professor loved my House of Leaves paper. This is what he said in a facebook message to me:

Einherjar, if you or anybody else is interested in reading it, lemme know and I'll email it to you

Send it my way! I loved those academic articles that you sent me on it.

I just got The Road today. I thought I would give it a bit higher priority on my mental list of books to read now that the film is out.

So the book came with a sticker on the cover that says "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE." Why the hell would I want a fucking sticker on the cover? I could remove it, but it'd probably leave some sticky shit that I can't get rid of. How annoying.

I haven't read it yet. I glimpsed through the first pages a bit and I think I like his writing style already, though.

Just read in Latin the play "Medea" by Seneca, originally by Euripides. One of the darkest, most heart-wrenching examples of ancient theatre you can find. I recommend it to you drama nerds.