The Books/Reading Thread

That sounds interesting !
I have a book called The lies that my teacher told me. But it's a pdf forma so i can't read it cuz i can't stare for a long time on my screen ! yet it's quite interesting

are you sure it's not Lies My History Teacher Told Me? I've had that book on my amazon list for a couple of years

haha. I have two of those three and haven't finished either (the first and third). Foucault's Pendulum is really interesting, but it's very dense. it doesn't help that the font size (of the copy I have) is really small. I want to re-read it again/finish it. It gets recommended quite a bit for Neal Stephenson fans, which I can't remember if you're one or not.

yeah I'm really interested in checking it out. My personal favorite Stephenson book is Snow Crash...it's a lot of fun and really accessible. It's also one of the shorter of his novels, but it was written before his "I'll write all of my future novels to be over 500 pages" phase...so that could account for its length

American Psycho is one of my all time favorite books. It's a phenomenal book if you're looking for character study and development. Just amazing

I was really impressed with World War Z. I walked in thinking "Oh hum zombie book ha ha whatever" and was definitely impressed with Brooks's seriousness and what he did with and to the zombie genre (I actually had to speak on a panel in one of my classes about this book)

American Psycho is one of my all time favorite books. It's a phenomenal book if you're looking for character study and development. Just amazing

I was really impressed with World War Z. I walked in thinking "Oh hum zombie book ha ha whatever" and was definitely impressed with Brooks's seriousness and what he did with and to the zombie genre (I actually had to speak on a panel in one of my classes about this book)

Totally agree about American Psycho, i must give it a few more reads. I loved it.. the scenes were he mutilated, tortured and had intercourse with the girls pretty disturbing and amazing at the same time. He is one of the most amazing characters, i just loved how he would describe everybodys clothing everytime he saw somebody.

Yeah i'm on page 91 of World War Z. I just saw that it had great reviews on amazon and thought the idea of zombies was pretty cool although like you, i was a bit cynical about the seriousness of it all,but so far i've been totally wrong.

yeah I'm really interested in checking it out. My personal favorite Stephenson book is Snow Crash...it's a lot of fun and really accessible. It's also one of the shorter of his novels, but it was written before his "I'll write all of my future novels to be over 500 pages" phase...so that could account for its length

I'll have to look for that one. I know he's famous for things like The Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicom; but like you said, they're fucking long books. :cool: Hopefully I'll get to them someday.

n4728.jpg

pretty nerdy, but good

What have you read?

Lotta D&D shit Terry Brooks and Tolkien when I was in grade school, and Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth a while ago. Nothing lately. I started a Tale of Ice and Fire a couple years back, but got distracted. I'm probably going to start that over unless something else catches my eye.

Lotta D&D shit Terry Brooks and Tolkien when I was in grade school, and Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth a while ago. Nothing lately. I started a Tale of Ice and Fire a couple years back, but got distracted. I'm probably going to start that over unless something else catches my eye.

I'd suggest that you investigate both Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy.