The collapse of metal is imminent

i couldnt disagree more, downloading hurts Mr Borland, because he actually makes a living off his music- which is boring and repetitive- and of such a quality that many young kids would rather download the few good songs- rather than pay for them.

Lets face it, the music industry sucked before Napster- laws regarding coroporate ownership changed- creating media and radio conglomerates in America, ones that played the same radio friendly songs on all of their stations across America- the disc jockey was phased out- only bands that the record companies had the money to pay to get on the air- would get on the air and become popular.

Furthermore, the record industry will be forced to drastically change the way they do business because of file sharing. Eventually they will figure out better ways to release music on the internet- money is involved.

Chris Brooks said:
Wow, hats off to Wes. I'm gaining more respect for that guy by the day. He's speaking from as someone in the industry, and an artist at that. I'll take his reasoning over some punk who rationalizes his/her stealing by pretending they're fighting for some noble cause by battling the labels that their favorite artists signed with because they wanted to make and album and wanted their fans to buy it.

Chris, not sure who that was aimed at. I don't see anyone in this thread who actually supports stealing money from artists by downloading their material for free.

I do see people who think that being able to "try before you buy" has actually encouraged them to buy more music than otherwise.

I actually partially agree with Wes, it's just not the whole picture by a long shot.
Certainly it's not the reason the industry is in trouble. People were copying CDs and vinyls onto tape long before MP3 came into being.

As someone else mentioned: It's easier to blame the illegal downloading of music than front up to the real reason they're failing.

Let us not forget that in general, bands make most of their money from doing a concert. They only make so much in the way of royalties from each CD bought.

ffanatic said:
They sure. I think I read somewhere that metal sales have increased by something like 300%. And it's all thanks to the miracle of file sharing.
The miracle of internet promotion in general isn't hurting, nor is the revival of Headbanger's Ball.

Like good metal bands make any money anyhow. I could give two shits (maybe just one actually) about a "metal" band going on tour with their private fucking jet losing a few bucks.

Ironic, given that I am vehemently opposed to file-sharing. :)

Borland is scaremongering or at the very least ignorant.
Before filesharing, most good metal was always hard to come by in large CD shops while we were deluged with crap music on the radio and in the charts. Nothing has changed since filesharing in that respect.
To claim that just because the business side of the music industry is crumbling (if that is actually true - any facts?), people will just forget their love of music and put down their instruments is clearly crap as well. Maybe people might not get extremely rich from making music but I can always go onto any MP3 sharing site and hear people making music. For example, go to soundclick.com and hear all the people home recording for their own pleasure there. Some of it isn't that great but if you MAKE THE EFFORT, you will find good music. I will ALWAYS get my fix of music and spreading stuff lke "metal will die" is pure nonsense.
Until better security measures are found to protect music, this is the way it is but whatever happens, no genre of music can just die while there are still fans out there. To people in metal bands - would you stop playing metal if Wes Borland said it was dead? Didn't think so and neither would I.

All this talk of downloading aside, the fact remains:

Metal will NEVER die.

As long as humans inhabit this planet, our music will survive. And when our civilization does collapse, future beings will see the legacy of metal inscribed in paintings on cave walls. Metal is here to stay.

speed said:
...Lets face it, the music industry sucked before Napster- laws regarding coroporate ownership changed- ...only bands that the record companies ...would get on the air and become popular.

Furthermore, the record industry will be forced to drastically change the way they do business because of file sharing. Eventually they will figure out better ways to release music on the internet- money is involved.
All very valid points. I especially like the last one, which is something I've been thinking about for a long time.. Why do/should "we" even care about the "industry"? IMO, as far as anyone with a brain of his/her own is concerned, there is no need for corporate radio or large "record companies." They are already obsolete, and have been for years..

Scurvy said:
Borland is scaremongering or at the very least ignorant.
*heh heh* You go, boy.. I got your back.

Scurvy said:
Before filesharing, most good metal was always hard to come by in large CD shops while we were deluged with crap music on the radio and in the charts.
While, yes, the radio always sucked (I'd always had a problem with over-saturation of songs I never liked in the first place and the complete absence of any deep album cuts, but that was before I understood "how it worked."), I do remember a period from mid 1984 (the beginning of my collecting phase) through 1988 or 1989 when I could go into the local Waxie Maxies, Kemp Mill, Penguin Feather or either of a couple of local resellers, and browse a commanding section of independent metal *VINYL*, which was a favorite passtime for me in the day. That, of course, became completely scarce by the eraly '90s, and I pretty much gave up on "our music" because I had no idea anyone was still creating, recording or releasing it.. My brother kept mentioning ads in guitar mags for new CDs by some of the stalwarts like Running Wild, but until I got online in '95, I saw no evidence.. Now, I have no patience for shopping brick & mortar. I'd rather surf online while drinking a frosty ale in the comfort of my own (home) office chair..

Bah, they said the music industry was dead 30 or more years ago when the cassette was invented, and a few years ago when the CD burner was invented, and now with filesharing, but sales keep on increasing, so its bullshit.

Records doesn't have to be all that expensive - As long as you're willing to send cash in a letter to strange countries. Or you could order from The End ;)
All of my money go to metal. If I feel rich sometime I get drunk too.

Maybe Wes is confusing metals demise with his own

As to what he says about filesharing ultimately the industry has to adapt. I don't think metal sale suffer but when it comes to one hit wonders which the record industry loves they may no longer be viable and god forbid they might have to spend money on good music

i download music because i just simply don't have money to buy it. if i don't download the music then i won't hear it at all. i'll try to go to a band's show though and buy a sticker or something if i can.

but seriously, filesharing has had quite a negative effect on many more underground indie labels. i'm not talking about the mega labels like century media but the smaller diy ones. they're already tight on budget and working their asses off to sell enough records so they can release more music for our enjoyment. filesharing is making it much worse for them.

food tastes good said:
i download music because i just simply don't have money to buy it. if i don't download the music then i won't hear it at all. i'll try to go to a band's show though and buy a sticker or something if i can.

but seriously, filesharing has had quite a negative effect on many more underground indie labels. i'm not talking about the mega labels like century media but the smaller diy ones. they're already tight on budget and working their asses off to sell enough records so they can release more music for our enjoyment. filesharing is making it much worse for them.
but at the same time their bands are getting much more exposed to more ppl around the world....

I just buyed New Aborted, a band from beligum,if it werent for filesharing I wouldnt even have noticed that this band existed

hibernal_dream said:
Wrong. The decline of music as a business is imminent. Since music will no longer be profitable, record labels will disintegrate to dust and only the artists dedicated to their art will continue producing music, and thus, no more Justin Timberlakes.

Wow, this thread's got a ton o replies in one day... haha well anyway I have a few questions for some of u. I've heard one or 2 ppl bash big-time labels for simply being big. Suddenly being big implies that you automatically market meaningless bullshit. hahaha you couldn't be more wrong (in relation to big-time metal labels). for one, Century Media puts out bands like Dark Tranquillity, Sonata Antarctica, and Children of Bodom. That stuff is far from shit in terms of pure skill and creativity. In terms of personal preference, you may disagree and you're hella welcome to. Century Media and Nuclear Blast are 2 of the biggest metal labels.. shit? hardly

NocturnalSun said:
Wow, this thread's got a ton o replies in one day... haha well anyway I have a few questions for some of u. I've heard one or 2 ppl bash big-time labels for simply being big. Suddenly being big implies that you automatically market meaningless bullshit. hahaha you couldn't be more wrong (in relation to big-time metal labels). for one, Century Media puts out bands like Dark Tranquillity, Sonata Antarctica, and Children of Bodom. That stuff is far from shit in terms of pure skill and creativity. In terms of personal preference, you may disagree and you're hella welcome to. Century Media and Nuclear Blast are 2 of the biggest metal labels.. shit? hardly

I wouldn't say Century Media "puts out" Children of Bodom, as Nuclear Blast released their first three CDs, and Spinefarm is where the band is actually signed to. Century Media just distributes Hate Crew Deathroll in the US (and they aren't doing a terrific job either, I have yet to see Hate Crew Deathroll in a store). Spinefarm does it in Europe (I believe Century Media distributes most of Spinefarm's releaes, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Bah, that's a technicality, I agree with you 100%. Don't know why I said that stuff about Children of Bodom. Oh wait, it's cause I'm bored. *sigh* Time for a nap.