The Dark Knight Vocal Effect

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
So I've seen The Dark Knight the other day - great movie! :headbang:

I was wondering what they were doing to Christian Bale's voice whenever he was Batman and not Bruce Wayne. You know, that dark, kinda raspy (if that's a word, hope you know what I mean :loco:) sound.

Can you imagine any processing that would give same results or did they maybe dub him with the voice of another person that just sounds that way naturally?

Listen to the first EP Martriden put out, there is something similar on a couple of songs. I think they just double his voice and drop it an octave. Of course he is probably growling a little too.

To me it didn't sound like there were any effects on his voice at all. I think the idea was just that he was supposed to be disguising his voice so people wouldn't be like "You know what Batman, has anyone ever told you your voice sounds EXACTLY like Bruce Wayne's?" It seemed like a fairly natural way to disguise ones voice to me. Then again, I've been a Batman nerd since '89 so he can't really do any wrong in my eyes. :kickass:

his voice when he was batman was the only bad thing about that movie.
He did sound bad....
You really think so? I thought it added another facet to Batman in a very positive way - you know, making him more frightening and stuff.. Noticed that on Batman Begins already actually.

Of course I've seen the German translation but the English trailers didn't seem to sound bad to me neither.

Then again it's probably just a mather of taste.

And now that I've read your suggestions I as well think that he probably just disguised his voice and they added some EQ.

Oh yeah and great video, haha! :D His voice seemes to bug a lot of people if someone actually made a video because of that.

The effect is called acting. Really. His Batman voice was something that Bale came up with as part of the near split personality of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He mentioned that during an interview that I heard and he did the voice in the studio. No post, just acting.

To me it didn't sound like there were any effects on his voice at all. I think the idea was just that he was supposed to be disguising his voice so people wouldn't be like "You know what Batman, has anyone ever told you your voice sounds EXACTLY like Bruce Wayne's?" It seemed like a fairly natural way to disguise ones voice to me.

Exactly. Still it sounds retarded :) whereas the movie is just badass other than that.