The Dark Knight

All I feel like typing out right now is that Heath Ledger blew me away. Fucking genius performance. Very stellar movie and a must see *nods* Well produced and visually pleasing!

ok, so question:
In the movie, Joker tells different stories about how he got those cuts on his face that "extend" his smile. In one version of the story, his father did it to him and in another version, he did it to himself because of his wife. But what's the real deal here... how did that happen to his face? anyone know?

ok, so question:
In the movie, Joker tells different stories about how he got those cuts on his face that "extend" his smile. In one version of the story, his father did it to him and in another version, he did it to himself because of his wife. But what's the real deal here... how did that happen to his face? anyone know?

I noticed this too but wasn't sure if I could recall correctly. I don't think he said (I can't recall precisely) his father did it but he did it for his wife. Interesting. If he did in fact state that was how he got the scars in both of his stories, it was probably done intentionally by the writers to portray him as a crazy who will say (and do anything). If you ever met a delusional psychopath you would know they say many things that are imaginary and contradictory.

I noticed this too but wasn't sure if I could recall correctly. I don't think he said (I can't recall precisely) his father did it but he did it for his wife. Interesting. If he did in fact state that was how he got the scars in both of his stories, it was probably done intentionally by the writers to portray him as a crazy who will say (and do anything). If you ever met a delusional psychopath you would know they say many things that are imaginary and contradictory.

maybe I can help your memory...remember his story about how his dad used to be a heavy drinker and one night his mother was yelling at the dad so the dad was about to beat her up, but instead he turned and saw little joker and saw the serious look on his face, and said "why so serious? put a smile on" or something like that. and that's when the dad supposedly cut his face. I think this was the version that Joker told one of those mafia guys...I think the black one.

But also, what he was saying wasn't just imaginary and contradictory. He had a point to his 2 versions of how this happened-- basically it was to spite humanity. For example, his wife (after being cut up herself) couldn't stand to look at him when he cut his own face. and he did all this just to show that he still loved her and looks didn't matter to him. so that was really fucked up on her part. hence, the superficial, misguided humans thing.

I remember the story he told, just whether or not his father actually did do it.

Is it too late to post "SPOILER WARNING"? :lol: Oh well...

maybe I can help your memory...remember his story about how his dad used to be a heavy drinker and one night his mother was yelling at the dad so the dad was about to beat her up, but instead he turned and saw little joker and saw the serious look on his face, and said "why so serious? put a smile on" or something like that. and that's when the dad supposedly cut his face. I think this was the version that Joker told one of those mafia guys...I think the black one.

But also, what he was saying wasn't just imaginary and contradictory. He had a point to his 2 versions of how this happened-- basically it was to spite humanity. For example, his wife (after being cut up herself) couldn't stand to look at him when he cut his own face. and he did all this just to show that he still loved her and looks didn't matter to him. so that was really fucked up on her part. hence, the superficial, misguided humans thing.

*-*-*-*-*SPOILER-*-*-*-*

One of the numerous thing I always liked about the Joker's character is that you'll never know him. In the movie, he's more portrayed as a chaotic anarchist that has no plan, but like to destroy other's plan, and you kind of believe it if you don't know the character. But the Joker is a big lier, not that he found that funny but I don't think he even know what he's doing, what he say about "having no plan and just having fun" is probably true, but he even know that it's true. But there's something, some little phrase, littel faces he make, that make us think that in fact he's just making fun at us, that he's just some kind of genius with a big plan and that he has got everything in mind (like when he's taking prisonner, capture Lau etc).

One of the beauty of the Joker is that whatever he do, he's either so genius or too crazy (or maybe both) for people like us (or anybody) to really understand.

That's why I prefer this Joker to the Burton's one, which was more "normal" with an explained background. In the comics, it's never said why he paint himself (if he does or not), why he got scars, why he's such a psychopath etc.

Just saw the movie, twice (I snuck into Hellboy 2 inbetween, it sucked)... it was epic. Fucking. Best. Movie. I've. Seen. In. Years. Seriously. Ledger beats Nicholosn's performance which was also great, fuck you Mick)... seriously, I mourn that guy's death now.. only because of that performance, seriously, it was amazing... AMAZING...

And for all those who haven't seen it yet... GO NOW! Or else I will do a little magic trick with a pencil :lol:

EDIT: I'm still in awe, I didn't think Ledger had that in him.

I have to second this. Congratulations thread opener, I agree. That movie was IN-CRE-DI-BLE.

Now, I just gotta say this. I was never a big fan of superheroes. I mean, I enjoyed reading a lot of comics, but just... I didn't like Marvel, DC, that crap. The only thing I liked to read was Lobo, because it was just SO FUNNY. All the other comics I read were really for kids, like Disney stuff, Calvin and Hobbes (which an adult can enjoy as well, but whatever) or Mad magazines. I still read them today, I like to read comics.

So, there. I never enjoyed any X-Men movie or whatever. But when that first Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker came out, man, I loved that SO MUCH. I just... damn, I fell in love with the Joker character there. When I'd talk about Batman, I'd say "oh you mean Joker: The Movie". That's how much I enjoyed that character.

So I obviously had to check this one out. IT HAD THE JOKER. And the trailer was amazing. But really, nothing prepared me for what I saw. You just gotta watch that movie. Here's a dialogue I had with my girlfriend in the middle of the movie:

GF: Oh my God!
ME: YES!!!
GF: Yes?? Are you cheering for the Joker??
ME: Of course!
GF: What??
ME: I wish the Joker was my uncle and he took me to play soccer with him on Saturdays!

Really, what a great villain. And what a great movie. It's just PACKED with memorable quotes and scenes, and... it's just hard to describe, I've watched it twice already and I'm surely going to buy the DVD.

I hope Ledger wins the fucking Oscar because that guy honestly deserved it. I am really sorry he died, I really am.

GO WATCH IT!

why do all these superficial movies make the most at the box office? I think that just shows how stupid our culture has come to become.
Movies that are truly good are the ones like Apocalypse Now and Lost in Translation. Like movies that have some essence to them, and aren't just all "hollywood" if that makes any sense.

spiderman sucks ass btw.

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist.

FUCK YOU.

Sorry for that, but you know you deserved it. And if you don't, you should.

I hate people that criticize movies for being "superficial". "Oh yeah, I like Little Miss Sunshine better than National Lampoon's Vacation because it had one character that was a Nietzsche freak". And fuck, "Apocalypse Now" is one of the most BORING, yes, you read that right, BORING movies EVER.

What I really hate about those pseudo-intellectual types is that they try so hard to squeeze whatever references they can to make themselves look smart from a movie, that many times they actually miss what the movie is all about! I've seen that happen a thousand times. And people are just so busy trying to sound smart and cool that they forget to have FUN with the freaking movie.

One of my teachers brought "Mindwalk" for us to watch one day. Here is the Rotten Tomatoes link. It was one of the most snobby, superficial movies I have EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE, and check the T-Meter on that: 88%. For those who haven't watched it, Mindwalk should actually be called "Wikipedia: The Movie". It's pretentious beyond all imagination with "FEED YOUR MIND" written on the poster, and just a shallow, shallow pseudo-intellectual masturbatory movie. And no, it brings NOTHING new to the table. NOTHING.

There's NOTHING wrong with Hollywood movies, made just to entertain. There's NOTHING wrong with Rambo 4. There's NOTHING wrong with Iron Man. There's NOTHING wrong with Ratatouille. There's NOTHING wrong with Zoolander. There's NOTHING wrong with Kill Bill.

There IS something wrong, though, with the types that try to cherry-pick the movies they like, by judging if they have "essence" in them, even if they fucking DON'T.

I pity the folks that can't allow themselves to have fun with the mainstream cultural productions. I honestly do. They are fooling themselves so hard they are actually believing it, and that's really sad. It's not intelligent, it's just a way to set yourself apart, and it's a real waste of time and quality of life.

Really, an experiment to everyone who knows a LITTLE bit of science in this board. I am being serious. Go rent "Mindwalk" and "Toy Story" at the same time, and watch them. Then come back and tell me which one of them has more "essence" in it. I swear to God, by the time one of the characters start screaming "Pablo Neruda" at the end of Mindwalk... if you have any kind of honesty inside of you... you are going to wish you never wasted your time with such a ridiculous excuse for a movie.

Yet, the T-meter rated it 88%. It is really FUCKING SAD.

FUCK YOU.

I hate people that criticize movies for being "superficial". "Oh yeah, I like Little Miss Sunshine better than National Lampoon's Vacation because it had one character that was a Nietzsche freak". And fuck, "Apocalypse Now" is one of the most BORING, yes, you read that right, BORING movies EVER.

What I really hate about those pseudo-intellectual types is that they try so hard to squeeze whatever references they can to make themselves look smart from a movie, that many times they actually miss what the movie is all about! I've seen that happen a thousand times. And people are just so busy trying to sound smart and cool that they forget to have FUN with the freaking movie.

One of my teachers brought "Mindwalk" for us to watch one day. Here is the Rotten Tomatoes link. It was one of the most snobby, superficial movies I have EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE, and check the T-Meter on that: 88%. For those who haven't watched it, Mindwalk should actually be called "Wikipedia: The Movie". It's pretentious beyond all imagination with "FEED YOUR MIND" written on the poster, and just a shallow, shallow pseudo-intellectual masturbatory movie. And no, it brings NOTHING new to the table. NOTHING.

There's NOTHING wrong with Hollywood movies, made just to entertain. There's NOTHING wrong with Rambo 4. There's NOTHING wrong with Iron Man. There's NOTHING wrong with Ratatouille. There's NOTHING wrong with Zoolander. There's NOTHING wrong with Kill Bill.

There IS something wrong, though, with the types that try to cherry-pick the movies they like, by judging if they have "essence" in them, even if they fucking DON'T.

I pity the folks that can't allow themselves to have fun with the mainstream cultural productions. I honestly do. They are fooling themselves so hard they are actually believing it, and that's really sad. It's not intelligent, it's just a way to set yourself apart, and it's a real waste of time and quality of life.

Really, an experiment to everyone who knows a LITTLE bit of science in this board. I am being serious. Go rent "Mindwalk" and "Toy Story" at the same time, and watch them. Then come back and tell me which one of them has more "essence" in it. I swear to God, by the time one of the characters start screaming "Pablo Neruda" at the end of Mindwalk... if you have any kind of honesty inside of you... you are going to wish you never wasted your time with such a ridiculous excuse for a movie.

excuse you. don't be such a dumbfuck. you obviously had some built-up irritation towards me that was just waiting to explode :lol: and why are you making such a big fucking deal if we disagree about the movies we like?

I'm frankly just SICK AND TIRED of seeing the same script recycled over and over and over again. If that entertains your mind and gives you some sort of freedom from your research and writing your dissertation, then fine. enjoy. But don't fucking tell me that i'm a "psuedo intellect" for liking movies with essence in them. yes, i said essence, did that just shove another stick up your ass? Apocalypse Now was a fucking MASTERPIECE. if you didn't appreciate it, then that sucks for you. we obviously have different tastes.

and don't assume that just cuz I like these types of movies, doesn't mean that I don't like other genres as well. I enjoy my share of the American Pie movies and all that stupid teenage shit. and I loved Zoolander so stfu. they're cool to see once in a while. but my point was that it is the same old movie, over again that gets the most recognition and attracts the bigger audience. and that is sad, whether you want to admit or not.

p.s. my favorite movie is The 'Burbs. and my favorite show is Curb Your Enthusiasm. so don't be so quick to judge, mr. know-it-all.

FUCK YOU.

Feel better now? :rolleyes: