THE death metal anthem

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
Pointless thread (not unlike my other threads), but still. If someone told you to define death metal by playing them just one - 1 - song, what would your choice have been? I would probably have chosen Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" or Cryptopsy's "Slit Your Guts". I'm not saying that those are the best DM songs ever made, but I think they sum up what death metal is all about rather well.

Hammer-Smashed Face is pretty much THE quintessential death metal anthem. Gore, growls, ripping guitars and drums...it's the constitution of death metal.

I'd actually agree about Hammer Smashed Face. It's got typical dm vocals, blastbeats, and tremelo picking. It's also a classic dm song, it has catchy riffage, and it is not too overly technical.

I'd say Internal Bleeding by Obituary, but I don't think that song has any blasting...

Probably Slit Your Guts by Cryptopsy, but it's a little too technical, it has some slap bass, and Lord Worm is hardly what I'd call a typical DM vocalist(for better or for worse)...

Hammer Smashed face would be great, but that wouldn't gain any new fans, because it's the musical equivalent of horse shit...

Perhaps The Exorcist by Possessed for 80's death and Pierced From Within by Suffocation for 90's. Although the latter is very over-the-top, it's a classic example of death metal, with all attributes. It's also very \m/.

I can see why Hammer Smashed Face is getting a mention, seeing as it's probably the most well known song, by the most well known DM band.
My only gripe with this particular selection, is that it's really fucking easy to play.I genuinly believe that anyone who's been playing their instrument with enough regularity for 3 or 4 years could knock that one out.
The same could not be said for something off Pierced From Within or None So Vile.I'll go with Damnation by Morbid Angel.