the dynamite politics thread

i am worrying about the situation in Belgium: already 171 days without being able to form a new government, and it doesnt seem like its going to happen very soon...

The flamish would like to have more power for the communities instead of more power to the state... and they would like to separate the social system (retirement, money for children who go to school,..). They more or less want to separate the country and have their independance
But the Walloons dont agree because Wallonia has high unemployment (i have read 20%, but that comes from the internet so i dont know if i can really trust the information), and if the state break, then we will have a serious money problem, and people would probabily become poorer.

I was following the debate on the website of a well know walloon newspaper (www.lesoir.be for those who understand french). And by reading the comments, i see that more and more walloons are now fed up about debates that dont bring something new, and fed up to be treated like shit by the flemish people. Still, some friends of mine, like a lot of walloons still did until a few weeks ago, want belgium to stay unified.

I think that if we dont come to an agreement now, we will probabily not in the future as well because the cultures are different, and the problem of teh different labguage will still be, and if the debates about the power of the federal state vs the power of the communities comes back every x years when it is the elections, and that the flamish only worry about their wellness and dont care about the rest of us anymore, or if they dont respect the right of the people who lives around brussels (not in the city of brussels, but on the territory of Flanders) it is not worth to keep belgium unified. But it would be hard...

When i talk of non respect of the rights here above, i mean that the flemish government dont always accept that a lot of people near brussels are native french speakers and that they have the right to have their papers like letters from the "citygovernment" in french. A lot of people who work in brussels and decided to go live at the border of teh city because it is more peacefull, but brussels is surrounded by Flanders so the french speakers in the communes near brussels are where people normally speaks flamish...
We should have made a state with 2 languages everywhere, and not have communities and linguistic borders, it would probabily have ben easier.

I also see that more and more people claim rattachment to France, but personnally, i dont feel like i am french, and i would prefer iit not to happen.

there was an article in the economist a while ago about the abolition of belgium as a country. the idea was obviously conceived to sound outrageous, but actually it did make some sense from a foreigner's perspective. you can read the article here if you're interested.

i just read the article, thanks for the link. I dont think either it sounds outrageous, because indeed, we live without really knowing how things exactly works in the other part of the country... even the school system is divided and conceived by the communities...
And we are the country that has the most ministers ....

I heard about that reportage they were talking about, but unfortunately never got to see it as i already lived in Germany at that time. It was diffused on the french speaking channel RTBF, which is owned by the french community, and this concidered as a "serious" channel (vs RTL for example, which is owned by some random people who has nothing to do with the state).

is there anybody here who is especially up-to-date with russian politics? i'm reading comments to the general election, but i don't know what to believe. all the western media seem to concur on a "russia is evil" byline and i'm always a bit skeptical when everyone voices the same opinion.

is there anybody here who is especially up-to-date with russian politics? i'm reading comments to the general election, but i don't know what to believe. all the western media seem to concur on a "russia is evil" byline and i'm always a bit skeptical when everyone voices the same opinion.

What exactly do you want to know? I'm not an expert, but might have some answers.

Article which says: Russia is good, America is evil http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133810

Here is the start for the discussion about the Russian election: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134475

The forum ( http://www.twcenter.netv ) has a nice political discussion section since it is the modding forum of historical games (the Total War series (Shogun, Rome, Medieval I + II, Empire)) which means there are a lot of history majors and similar people who are interested in politics.

Thank you Matse, I will check the links out pronto!

@plintus: I guess that what I'm most interested in is whether Russia really has a democracy problem (ie no "real" freedom of speech, no actual participation in politics on the part of the people) or not. Unfortunately, the western media just mention the token episode, like people being thrown in jail for participating in unauthorized demonstrations, but that is neither here nor there: I am under the impression that all countries have some sort of punishment for people who do that, only they let it go rather than bringing people in, and i doubt that "not applying current laws" is a pre-requisite for democracy.

@hyena: I don't know which episode you're talking about, but i remember reading recently in the greek press that Kasparov is getting threatened all the time for speaking up and for being against Putin (not sure if there were actual attacks against him as well). So the impression i got was that there is a problem indeed. Guess i'll check those links too.

@plintus: I guess that what I'm most interested in is whether Russia really has a democracy problem (ie no "real" freedom of speech, no actual participation in politics on the part of the people) or not

We ve been brainwashed about Hitler, Franco (less) and our own fella, Mussolini, and while OUR books of history were filled on nazism and fascism, there was little on communism. I ve had a russian girlfriend, she taught me a lot about it.

Freedom to CLAIM to be religious, for example, was forfait. Mr Stalin, which i ve found added as a myspace friend on some bands' pages, didnt hate one religion or another, there was no discrimination (what a good guy).

Russia HAS a democracy problem, and while USA may have all the reason in the world to be hated (not by me, gba), on a quality of life analysis, it remains a "heaven denied" (labyrinth) for every russian citizen.

And even if I m "pro USA", which doesnt mean pro Bush, i ve seen the streets of SF with my own eyes, and that's something unreal (extreme poverty and massive wealth at the same time). We should all have food and a place to stay, but i guess it's better "you made it or you dont" than being all poor slaves of a system where politicians are rich kings.

Bugger :rolleyes:

I don't know, the show was good but I think it's a little dated for today's standards.

I was referring to my visit to the States and the cruel reality of San Francisco's streets. Lots and lots of people beggin for money arent afraid of "bothering" you inside Subway or McDonalds, they are truly desperate (unlike the fckn bastard gipsies infesting Rome, for example). Moving to Spain I traded gipsies for hippies, way to go me lol

This is a pretty funny thread to revive. I was reading the posts on the first few pages and they are hilarioius/sad considering what we now know about the bush administration and the situation in Iraq.

well, i don't know what your jug of milk told you, but i think that the correct opinion was expressed by the wise dwarf on page 1 of this thread:

i think the preventive strike is a good idea unless they back down before it's all over like they did the first time in... was it 1991?

truth.

Let me put it this way, I'm more afraid of my government than I am of Al Qaeda. Preemptive strike my dick, funny how they found nothing isn't it? Why don't we preempt every country that has a crazy dictator and a nuclear weapon then? It's utter horseshit, create an illusion of fear so we can get in there and grab that oil money.

I don't need a milk jug to tell me that, I just have faith.

@rahvin: is that any way to treat a newbie? ;)

Thanks for defending a 33 year old newbie :)

Sarcasm and humor is surely appreciated, iena romana, any true DT fan has automatically my respect and deep down, i hope some/most of you possess that special empathic gift that allows you to feel the intensity in every word Mikael screams or shouts.

I d love to see him recording, i bet he can't stand perfectly still and keeps moving across the microphone :lol:

Talking about politics, i d make him President, or even King of Europe but it would be a demotion since I screamed at him "You are a god to me" in Barcelona :worship:

I embarassed myself back there (who cares) and i ve been already made a fool of here, but what truly matters is not me, it's Mikael (oh and the band) and you guys too. :kickass: