the dynamite politics thread

Oh my god. If they feel there is, at least as an idea, a "Great Albania" it is because they feel connected as a people and as a culture that shares a heritage. Especially in their case, since they seem to be hated and mistreated by everyone else all around them. Since it seems people don't want to be civilized, it would be a very good thing for everyone if there were to be a stand-alone united Great Albania that pumps its own water reservoirs. They can finally have some peace being themselves. And the Serbians, Greeks, and all other mess of proud people all around them can mind their own business, and "feel comfortable", in their own sovereign states.

Originally Poste by Someone at the BBC :
The declaration approved by Kosovo's parliament contains limitations on Kosovan independence as outlined in Mr Ahtisaari's plan.

Kosovo, or part of it, cannot join any other country. It will be supervised by an international presence. Its armed forces will be limited and it will make strong provisions for Serb minority protection.

As troublesome as Kosovo's independence is, I don't think there would've been any possibility of it joining Albania, ever. Serbs are infuriated by the claim to independence, but I can't imagine the rage if Kosovo had just become a part of Albania. That would have set an equally unsettling precedent for many countries where minority populations want to secede. A declining empire due to claims to independence is bad enough, but because your provinces would rather belong to a different country? Get out of here. As silly as it is, the injury to national pride (and economy? though from what I understand Kosovo is underperforming) is unfortunately very real.

There's no doubting that Albanians have been hard done by (by Serbian nationalism and others), and initially I thought independence might be the best thing for Kosovo-Albanians. However, the precedent it sets is also a matter of concern. If we want to take the idea of "one people, one state" to the extreme, imagine the enormous reconstruction that for example Africa (the states of which are all artificially created) would have to go through, and the amount of instability and human suffering it would generate. And where would we put the Roma? Last time the West decided to grant a persecuted people their own state, things didn't exactly turn out for the best... (not that I really think the two situations are comparable, but just as an example).

@Matse, Taliesin: Yeah, I read that there's been a debate amongst Palestinian politicians whether to declare independence, and they use the case of Kosovo as a justification. However, there is opposition to that sentiment because Palestine's situation is quite different: Palestine is not a province of Israel, it's occupied territory. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Northern Lights said:
However, the precedent it sets is also a matter of concern. If we want to take the idea of "one people, one state" to the extreme, imagine the enormous reconstruction that for example Africa (the states of which are all artificially created) would have to go through, and the amount of instability and human suffering it would generate.
As opposed to the amount of instability and human suffering that's undergone, and continues to undergo, among and within all those artificially created states?
Naturally, something like that will have some immediate unfortunate consequences. But I think the phrase "..the enormous reconstruction that Africa would have to go through" does have the positive connotation of an opportunity to reconstruct (a much better/stable land). It could even be analogous to processes in which one must step backwards (regress) in order to make further progress into a much better future outcome. Rip apart, break away, and shake the jigsaw pieces momentarily, in order to make them fit together in a much better way in the picture. Things are like that sometimes.
Now, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. I don't know the exact nature and extent of the consequences, or whether or not the ends would be justifiable by the means in this particular case. But I just think people shouldn't automatically and decisively take the lazy way out and say "just leave it be" because they're afraid of (or don't want to be bothered with) the intermediate problems.

Come to think of it, such an argument (for mass-secessions and re-drawing political boundaries all over the place) would also pretty much foster the idea that we should all be segregated into groups that keep to themselves, and that humanity just absolutely will never learn to coexist; which would not be the right way to deal with things either...

The concept of "nation" is the root of every problem. A nation is nothing, just a amorphous human mass with more guts than brains. That's something that needs to be redefined. The thing is it's not something that can be redefined, as people are still brainless and animalistic and would just panic at the thought. I just don't know how many more wars are needed for such a thing to happen.

Originally Posted by fireangel:
All states are created artificially. There is none such thing like political borders falling from the sky.
No shit, Sherlock. The difference is, however, that the Westphalian state system that is currently the order of things is, in a way, "native" to Europe because it evolved through wars, political interactions and the way nations were formed on the European continent. European colonisers then took this particular notion of statehood with them and transposed them to Africa, where these particular structures have no historical or cultural basis. Perhaps I should have clarified and said "artificially imposed." Forgive me.

There have always been peaceful and not so peaceful creations of states throughout history, and I guess most of them were rather not peaceful. Where do you draw the line and say: from here on, all new separations and declarations of indepence are unlawful? Or do you want to go through history and check which definitions of borders have been made in agreement and without a war? Then probably more than half of today´s states are based on borders forced upon them for one reason or another.
You said it yourself: where do we draw the line? The issue isn't historical accuracy of borders; if it was, I'd be calling for the return of Finland and Norway (and all their oil) to Sweden. Especially Norway, how dare they secede with all their oil? Hell, why stop at that: I want our empire back - Prussia, the Baltic countries, the lot!

About the precedent: sit down and think about secessionist movements all over the world. How many can you think of? Here's a small list to aid you. Granted, not all of those have serious claims to independence (or even autonomy), but you get the picture.
Why would this be a bad thing, then? Well, see Mag's post for the first reason. Furthermore, you may not agree with the reasons why most states wish to retain their territory as much as possible, but alas, I'm afraid that's a reality we all have to live with. Thus, any attempt at secession of a province will provoke a response, usually not a benign one. Read in the news about the Serbian reaction lately?

Secondly, as I know I mentioned in a previous post: what about viability? Yes, of course it's all lovely and wonderful for you and your 45 friends to be able to declare the meadow you reside on an independent state, but what will you do once you are independent? Unless you strike oil somewhere underneath that meadow, you won't fare particularly well. What will your economy be based on? International aid is not a viable alternative. There needs to be a capacity for self-sustenance, and quite frankly, I'm not seeing Kosovo as a particularly strong candidate for being able to develop a Singapore-style economy any time soon. Even when Montenegro gained independence there were doubts about how well it would actually fare.

But it's not really about what I think; I didn't design the current international system. However, to answer your question of what I think is a good reason to form a state, I do believe that any new state must be able to function independently on the world stage, it must be able to provide for its citizens. My outlook is that the world is the way it is, and we may dream of a utopia where we can all live in tiny little homogenous states together with our genetic brethren and inbreed until we've all got webbed feet, but this is not viable because of how the world functions today. Have I said viable enough yet?

And, to return again to that first question: fairness. Where do we draw the line? I mentioned the Roma before, where would we put them? God knows, no country in Eastern Europe (or elsewhere) wants them. All Roma also do not have the same heritage, which means we'd have to arrange several states for them. Where? On whose territory? Perhaps we could convince some country to cede a piece of economically unimportant desert to them, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not saying that no new states should be allowed to form, ever. I'd support Taiwanese independence (Taiwan can take care of itself), but only if China would grant it. This is the other bit of precedent that concerns me. Montenegro was not a problem and was easily recognised because Serbia actually agreed to independence (from what I understand it had to), but wherever there's a radically differing opinion about whether independence should be granted or not, there will be conflict. Usually, conflict involves violence. If Kosovo is recognised despite Serbia's reluctance, there's legally no reason why other groups should also not be allowed to secede, regardless of what the state they belong to says.

Oh my god. If they feel there is, at least as an idea, a "Great Albania" it is because they feel connected as a people and as a culture that shares a heritage. Especially in their case, since they seem to be hated and mistreated by everyone else all around them. Since it seems people don't want to be civilized, it would be a very good thing for everyone if there were to be a stand-alone united Great Albania that pumps its own water reservoirs. They can finally have some peace being themselves. And the Serbians, Greeks, and all other mess of proud people all around them can mind their own business, and "feel comfortable", in their own sovereign states.
Oh my god x2. They can be as united and connected as they want, as long as they remain peaceful and leave borders (including my country's) alone. I'm so fucking sorry for wanting my country to remain as is, without wars and disputes. And don't get me started on "mistreated", because frankly i don't think that offering them free education, free food, free housing plus jobs is such a mistreatment (the above example is a friend of mine).

And for the record, they're not the poor kids that everyone hates. All peoples of the area have some dislikes one towards another, and the specific people in discussion is not innocent of this.

edit: Also, by your reasoning, Greeks who also feel united and share a cultural heritage and have a vision of a "Big Greece" should start claiming whatever region we feel is ours. Oh, but then we'd be the big bad bullies, wouldn't we?

Serbs are infuriated by the claim to independence, but I can't imagine the rage if Kosovo had just become a part of Albania. That would have set an equally unsettling precedent for many countries where minority populations want to secede. A declining empire due to claims to independence is bad enough, but because your provinces would rather belong to a different country? Get out of here. As silly as it is, the injury to national pride (and economy? though from what I understand Kosovo is underperforming) is unfortunately very real.
It's not just about national pride and economy. To put it simply, imagine a random flow of immigrants in a country over a span of 10-20 years. Then imagine those immigrants getting together and wanting to unite with the neighbouring mother-country. Bam, you have instant territorial expansion.

Northern Lights said:
There's no doubting that Albanians have been hard done by (by Serbian nationalism and others), and initially I thought independence might be the best thing for Kosovo-Albanians. However, the precedent it sets is also a matter of concern. If we want to take the idea of "one people, one state" to the extreme, imagine the enormous reconstruction that for example Africa (the states of which are all artificially created) would have to go through, and the amount of instability and human suffering it would generate. And where would we put the Roma? Last time the West decided to grant a persecuted people their own state, things didn't exactly turn out for the best... (not that I really think the two situations are comparable, but just as an example).
The problem in these cases is that, for example in the Balkan area, there's mixed populations in many areas. If we look at Epirus, there's greek populations in North Epirus which belongs to Albania and some nationalists would love to see it belong to Greece again, while the Albanians feel the same way about South Epirus.
Population displacements are a horrible thing, there's been some in our recent history and in fact my family has suffered great losses because of them. So, they're not something i would wish upon anyone.

On the other hand, i find the idea of a "one people, one state" greatly amusing, if it were to be applied in the US of A.

I like ancient Greece. It should be reunited again.

I don't think that a united Albania (Albania now + Kosovo, not those parts that belong to other countries) would cause many more problems than the split of the Kosovo with Serbia already has. Those countries are too close to the sphere of influence of the European Union nowadays to be able to start a war or genocide or whatever similar without suffering heavy consequences.
As for the one people, one country idea, that may have played a huge role two hundred years ago when there were still big differences in culture, transportation was slow and globalization was something people haven't heard of. Nowadays though we globalization is on its way and Europe is slowly becoming one united country. Not too far in the future the countries in Europe will have given most of their power to Brussels (this process is already going) and we will have English as an official language.

I am not sure if I made myself very understandable in this post, I just woke up and I still feel a bit drunk.

Oh my god x2. They can be as united and connected as they want, as long as they remain peaceful and leave borders (including my country's) alone. I'm so fucking sorry for wanting my country to remain as is, without wars and disputes. And don't get me started on "mistreated", because frankly i don't think that offering them free education, free food, free housing plus jobs is such a mistreatment (the above example is a friend of mine).
So you resent them and are angry at them because your government gives them free education, housing, and jobs? Justifiably or not, maybe you should be mad at your government instead.
This is just like all those unskilled rednecks in the U.S. that hate Blacks and Mexicans because "they're offered the affirmative action advantage in getting employment", and because "they're taking all our jobs".

Siren said:
And for the record, they're not the poor kids that everyone hates.
Well you tell me, what was the last time you felt compelled to hide the fact that you're Greek from a stranger so that you may be treated in a civil manner?
And when was the last time someone wanted to exterminate the Greeks, not for territory or for glory, but because of being Greek?

Siren said:
All peoples of the area have some dislikes one towards another, and the specific people in discussion is not innocent of this.
Then perhaps the problem isn't the Albanians, but the area and the overall attitudes of its peoples. And, if that's the way it really is, then that's also why you might be better off leaving each other alone. Perhaps with a Great Albania, all those Albanians that are disliked (and that dislike others) will probably prefer to move there amongst their own and leave your area. Good for them and good for you.

Siren said:
edit: Also, by your reasoning, Greeks who also feel united and share a cultural heritage and have a vision of a "Big Greece" should start claiming whatever region we feel is ours. Oh, but then we'd be the big bad bullies, wouldn't we?
If the people in those areas were to feel they should be part of Greece, then why not! I myself wouldn't consider you bullies! Obviously, the problem then would be a political one, since the nation that currently owns the disputed part is definitely not going to like their borders redrawn smaller (and that could have serious consequences, but because of a childish/selfish/proud attitude from that nation).
It is something else entirely when you're talking about places where the people are in peace and feel threatened or invaded if some other country wanted to claim their land simply because they feel it's rightfully theirs (for the sake of ancient times or whatever).
It is also entirely something else when you talk about pieces within other nations that are clearly hurt by the fact that they're part of that nation.. people that feel bullied and mistreated, and would understandably like to break off independently to be in peace.
And to be frank I don't think the Albanians in Kosovo are crazy in feeling this way. The Serbs haven't exactly been treating them well, even though they're part of their nation! The Serbs only seem to care about the territory itself, and their sovereignty, pride and glory.

So you resent them and are angry at them because your government gives them free education, housing, and jobs? Justifiably or not, maybe you should be mad at your government instead.
This is just like all those unskilled rednecks in the U.S. that hate Blacks and Mexicans because "they're offered the affirmative action advantage in getting employment", and because "they're taking all our jobs".
When did i say i resent them and i'm angry at them for that? I merely gave an example that indicates that -at least in my country- they're far less mistreated than (american) media would have you think.

Well you tell me, what was the last time you felt compelled to hide the fact that you're Greek from a stranger so that you may be treated in a civil manner?
And when was the last time someone wanted to exterminate the Greeks, not for territory or for glory, but because of being Greek?
I have never lived abroad, so i have never felt compelled to hide my identity for whatever reason. A lot of Greeks have lived abroad for decades though, so i'm sure that at some point some of them have not been treated very well, due to the fact that they were foreigners. However, i doubt i would ever hide my nationality, since i'm one of them proud greeks. :rolleyes:

As for the other part of your question, a lot of our neighbours over the centuries have wanted to exterminate us because we were greeks. The most recent example off the top of my head goes 85 years ago, when my home city was burnt to the ground. Today, i'm pretty sure that at least 2 of our neighbours would prefer we didn't exist, not for territory or for glory, but because we're greeks.
(To be fair, maybe one of them doesn't wish us to stop existing, because i have heard them saying "one day you will slave to us like we slave to you today". That requires that we still exist and a lot of loving feelings from them, no?)

Then perhaps the problem isn't the Albanians, but the area and the overall attitudes of its peoples. And, if that's the way it really is, then that's also why you might be better off leaving each other alone. Perhaps with a Great Albania, all those Albanians that are disliked (and that dislike others) will probably prefer to move there amongst their own and leave your area. Good for them and good for you.
There already is a country Albania. But i don't see a lot of them moving back there. Let me think why... maybe it's because they make a lot of money here. (Nothing wrong with that, plus they help our economy by working here). Maybe one day, when they're rich enough, they'll go back.
But oh, wait... Did you read my link about Great Albania? Did you notice that a part of it is a huge chunk of Greece?

If the people in those areas were to feel they should be part of Greece, then why not! I myself wouldn't consider you bullies! Obviously, the problem then would be a political one, since the nation that currently owns the disputed part is definitely not going to like their borders redrawn smaller (and that could have serious consequences, but because of a childish/selfish/proud attitude from that nation).
Perhaps you missed the part where i talked about mixed populations.
There's people in parts of Albania that feel should be part of Greece.
There's people in Istanbul, who feel that Istanbul should be part of Greece. Does that mean we should claim it at once or that they should declare independence?

It is something else entirely when you're talking about places where the people are in peace and feel threatened or invaded if some other country wanted to claim their land simply because they feel it's rightfully theirs (for the sake of ancient times or whatever).
It is also entirely something else when you talk about pieces within other nations that are clearly hurt by the fact that they're part of that nation.. people that feel bullied and mistreated, and would understandably like to break off independently to be in peace.
And to be frank I don't think the Albanians in Kosovo are crazy in feeling this way. The Serbs haven't exactly been treating them well, even though they're part of their nation! The Serbs only seem to care about the territory itself, and their sovereignty, pride and glory.
Again, mixed populations. Things aren't black and white. Serbs lived in Kosovo as well.

I like ancient Greece. It should be reunited again.

I don't think that a united Albania (Albania now + Kosovo, not those parts that belong to other countries) would cause many more problems than the split of the Kosovo with Serbia already has. Those countries are too close to the sphere of influence of the European Union nowadays to be able to start a war or genocide or whatever similar without suffering heavy consequences.
I like it too. Especially in the times of Alexander the Great. If we're going to go big, we might as well go big.

The problem with the rest is what Northern Lights pinpointed, the precedent.
The other thing i want to point out to you, is that you're missing one important factor in the equation: the US. You're probably thinking that they're too far away, but when did that ever stop them from putting their nose in things?

Short summary of my thoughts:
Like most Germans I am in favour of Obama. It seems like he has great potential although there is also the chance that there is not that much behind his words.
What is most frightening about McCain is his stance towards countries that are not 100% friendly to the USA, especially Russia and I think good abilities in foreign politics is the most important trait an American president must have.
About inner politics: In this field both candidates should be better than Bush. McCain is probably the more experienced one here and Obama will look more for the little people with things like health insurance etc..

I'm still undecided?
You'd think I'd go for Obama but he keeps sliding
to the right with the Republicans.
My choice, Bill Richardson didn't have a snowballs chance in hell
I do think McCain screwed up big time choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate
The Republicans ripped Obama for being inexperienced with foreign affairs
every time I'd turn on the TV there would be a Republican adv. about Obama and his lack of knowledge foreign affairs now they've disappeared, its like the Republicans have made a 180 degree turn.
Hell, Palin just got a passport 2 years ago plus they won't let her be interviewed
by the media on talk shows like 'Meet the Press' as she foot in mouth disease
I don't watch the debates, they both lie their asses off
I will watch the one Vice Presidents Candidates debate as Biden will rip Palin to shreds
Its getting much press here ... Palin's 17 year old unmarried daughter is with child,
This freaks out the religious psychos plus if Palin is so up on things you'd think she would of had a talk with her daughter about safe sex aka how can she control political things when she can't control her own daughter?
I find it difficult to believe a white male republican will ever be elected president in the next 100 years
as Bush has everything so screwed up. But people here think things are so good
because they all have cell phones that will make them pancakes for breakfast.
Maybe I won't vote that way I'll have no reason to complain about whatever happens

I got to get some sleep

my mind has a mind of its own

ramble on La Rocque :loco:

how can she control political things when she can't control her own daughter?

I am obviously not a father, but I can imagine that sometimes I can be easier to control a country than it is to control a teenager in puberty although probably chances are a lot higher to have children a bit early if something went not so well during childhood.
I do not know anything about Richardson since I did not take a closer look at all the early candidates.
Imagining another white male Republican is not that hard. Bush was not the first one and he will not be the last one.
By the way, do you have more parties you can vote for, other than the two big ones? Voting for one of those should be better than not voting at all.

Im still sad Ron Paul didnt make it through the primaries. He does have a few weird opinions, concerning abortions and stuff, but he does have very differentiated opinions when it comes to foreign politics.

Maybe I won't vote that way I'll have no reason to complain about whatever happens
Not voting equals giving up your only chance to affect the outcome, aka letting dumber people than you choose for you.
Also the word "idiot" comes from the ancient greek word ἰδιώτης (idiōtēs), which means "private person" and was used for people who didn't get involved in public affairs (eg by voting) and cared only for their private matters.
That's why i always vote, even when i know that all the candidates suck.

By the way, i'm wondering what are the real chances of Obama to be elected, what with him being black and all.

Oh, please do. I wish I could take the place of any one American who's not going to vote, so don't be that American. I'm not going to tell you who to vote for (but isn't it obvious?), just that I'll buy your weight in beverage of choice if we ever meet if you do! ;)