The "Education" Thread

ScienceMag: Lecture method

My teacher for German 2 this past semester and also for my upcoming German 4 class utilizes the Flipped classroom method. I don't know if it would work for everything, but I like it for language.

I guess i'm pampered because I go to CU-Boulder, but every class i've taken has never been non-student participation and I can't really imagine a class where every students sits there and never gets asked a question or asked to answer a question or even just comment. Does this happen elsewhere?

Well, as luck would have it, I'm no longer doing language education this summer. I got hired for a full-time position as an archival assistant at BU's Gottlieb Research Library. First day was today, and it's far more exciting than I expected. Today I got to sort through and organize the personal notes, correspondence, and manuscripts of Irving Segal.

Well, as luck would have it, I'm no longer doing language education this summer. I got hired for a full-time position as an archival assistant at BU's Gottlieb Research Library. First day was today, and it's far more exciting than I expected. Today I got to sort through and organize the personal notes, correspondence, and manuscripts of Irving Segal.

That sounds like an awesome gig. Congrats, man. I got an advanced composition class for summer today. I'm stoked because that helps the financial situation, but I'm bummed because I was planning to go to Yosemite right in the middle. Oh well. Money helps me more than mountains

Very nice. Do they let you design composition classes on your own, or is there a template you have to follow? At BU, we can choose our own content and topic, but have to follow an established template throughout the year (basically working through drafts of three papers while building a comprehensive portfolio).

I tried to snag a job at MassBay Community College, but never heard back; but I may prefer the archives job, at least for the time being. Pay is minimal, but it helps; and the days fly by.

For that particular college, it's pretty much do whatever you want, which is nice. There is a required Writing Lab component, which is actually really nice. The students have conferences with me or do shit online (discussion board postings, quizzes, work on essays, avoid getting caught on facebook). I really like this particular college, Rio Hondo, and would love to get full time there. The facilities are great, and the faculty support is outstanding

One of the other colleges I work at has a more scripted syllabus with some requirements (students have to write X thousand words and do X assignments), but aside from that there's a good amount of freedom

Had my interview with LAUSD yesterday. Absolutely killed the interview. The lady was talking as if she was ready to hire me on the spot and kept saying "when you get hired at one of our schools." They were super impressed by my letters and accomplishments and I killed the essay portion, but the demo lesson pretty much sucked.

The demo lesson is awkward because it's with two people in their 50s acting as if they're 15 year olds and you only have 15 minutes to teach a lesson with a beginning, middle and end. I did a lesson on how to write a thesis that went great in my actual classes and in another demo lesson. However, this time it did not go well. They acted like they were confused by everything and I couldn't tell if they were pretending to be students bullshitting me or who were pretending to be students who were genuinely confused. The "bad" student started making fun of the "good" student and had to stop the class to reprimand him. Then out of nowhere the "good" student is well beyond her thesis and is blazing through her outline. I had an extra sheet ready just for this occasion but ran out of time and wasn't able to give it to her.

Anyway, I just hope they don't put too much weight into a 15 minute lesson to adults vs. all my accomplishments teaching actual students.

Demos always suck. I had to do one for one of the colleges I work at and had to demo in front of two instructors and the dean. But :kickass: on the interview! Where would you like to teach?

I did no demo at the college I taught at down in Florida, and I'd had no previous teaching experience. Are demos the norm, and do certain schools just not require them...?

I've only had to do one at the four schools I've taught at, but I feel like they're becoming more standardized. A few of my friends at different colleges also had to do demos.

edit: should add that I've interviewed at 5 places

I had to do demos at 2 of the 4 colleges I've taught at. 2nd one was a lot easier than the first. I learned it's very important to get the observers involved in the lecture and not just lecture.

Demos always suck. I had to do one for one of the colleges I work at and had to demo in front of two instructors and the dean. But :kickass: on the interview! Where would you like to teach?

I'm hoping for South LA, East LA, or Compton. Basically a low income, under-served area working for an actual district, not a charter. Really want high school, 11th grade would be ideal, but 10th or 12th would work too. If it's mid-July and I still don't have a job, I'll expand to middle schools.

The way it sounds, the psych dept at ECU requires something like a demo in the interview, if I am understanding what I have heard faculty talking about and what you guys are talking about. Apparently they encourage their grad students to attend to help prepare them for their own interviews.

I'll be transferring from my CC to a HBCU (historically black colleges and univerisities), Morgan State University, this fall. Their creds aren't very good, but they gave me a full-ride, so I couldn't pass it up, compared with what the other universities in the state are offering. In the mean time, I'll be busy.

I'm flying out to Ireland on Thursday for a travel study and I am very excited for it. I was able to get scholarships to cover most of the costs. I can't wait to taste Guinness in Dublin. I'll be doing an analysis of competing histories over the Famine for my project.

After that, I'll be doing revisions to my Richard Wagner paper I wrote last semester to see if I can get it published. My thesis is original and I defend it fairly well, so we'll see how that goes.

When you go to Dublin, check out The Celt on Talbot St.... My favorite pub there. Also take a daytrip to the west coast. Killarney is my favorite town

Finished Summer I. Now I have the next two months to get the GRE done. This is going to be the longest time I've had without actual class work since I started going back to school.

^ you're doing economics right?

I'm trying to plan to eventually go back to school. Goal is to get my MA in occupational therapy and id really love to go to Colombia University. I pulled a good gpa for undergrad, but still it's going to be expensive as hell even with a scholarship since I doubt I'll get a free ride (do those even exists for graduate studies?) and I don't want to take out many loans. So I'm going to apply for the DOE to become a special education teacher. They make double what I'm making and the hours are good, so I'll be able to take the prerequisites to get into the program while doing that. And the DOE has a tuition reimbursement program if the masters fit an educational program though I don't think they have Colombia as one of the schools they've set up a program for. Bah either way id be making more to pay some out of pocket anyhow.

General or subject test?

General.

Summer class starts tomorrow. I'm just stoked I have something of an income for the summer

I have my weekend retail job I have had, but I was also tutoring ethics for Summer I, but I don't think I'm getting a call back for Summer II. I had like 3 appts for the 4-5 weeks or whatever. Only one class with ~18 people, and the teacher does a in class essay with your notes instead of a test. :zzz:

I was slammed during the Spring, and they want me back for the fall, but I'd rather have the tutoring income now than in the fall.