The "Education" Thread

I'm hoping for South LA, East LA, or Compton. Basically a low income, under-served area working for an actual district, not a charter. Really want high school, 11th grade would be ideal, but 10th or 12th would work too. If it's mid-July and I still don't have a job, I'll expand to middle schools.

Why do you want to work in a lower income area?

Because those are the students most in need of teachers who care and are eilling to put in the extra work to help them suceed. They already have to deal with a ton if disadvantages, so I feel like they deserve teachers who believe in them and understand what it takes to help them suceed.

Ugh, got a demo lesson tomorrow and it has to be on fucking World War I. That's probably one of the time periods I know the least about! Gotta a lot of research to do between now and Friday...

The First World War is probably my favorite to study because of the clash of ideology and conventional war practices versus the realities of modern warfare - I like to think of it as a war with one leg in the nineteenth century and the other leg in the twentieth. Generals, especially the English, upheld this false supremacy of the cavalry charge, meaning with horses, over other, more modern means of warfare and, as a result, men were senselessly lost through antiquated techniques. It's for a similar reason, but not the only, that both the Triple Entente and the Central Powers dug themselves into trenches - it's like they were attempting a phalanx of charging men against one of machine guns.

Interestingly, the most effective war technology utilized in the First World War was barbed wire. It was very easy to construct between the trenches at night, and very difficult for the enemy to destroy. Artillery bombardments barely harmed them, as the English learned after a number of post-bombardment no-man's-land-charges. The only means to penetrate them for most of the war was with wire cutters, but it was a futile mission when the dozens of barbed wired lines defended under a hail of machine gun fire was considered. The tank alleviated this during the end of the war, but Germany's loss was inevitable by 1917 anyhow, thanks to the British Naval Embargo.

The important thing to remember, in terms of who started it, is that it was Germany's war. Nearly all parties wanted in, but Germany was the instigator who pushed Austria into invading Serbia (4 weeks after the Arch Duke's assassination, mind you), and Kaiser Wilhelm called the war one which he "planned and initiated" on multiple occasions throughout the conflict.

If you get a chance, check out To End All Wars: A Story o Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 by Adam Hochschild. It's well-constructed narrative covering the war and the social issues it provoked in Britain.

I just like learning about mustard gas.

Because those are the students most in need of teachers who care and are eilling to put in the extra work to help them suceed. They already have to deal with a ton if disadvantages, so I feel like they deserve teachers who believe in them and understand what it takes to help them suceed.

Cool. Good luck with it.

Oh, and there's two c's in "succeed", teach! :loco:

The First World War is probably my favorite to study because of the clash of ideology and conventional war practices versus the realities of modern warfare - I like to think of it as a war with one leg in the nineteenth century and the other leg in the twentieth. Generals, especially the English, upheld this false supremacy of the cavalry charge, meaning with horses, over other, more modern means of warfare and, as a result, men were senselessly lost through antiquated techniques. It's for a similar reason, but not the only, that both the Triple Entente and the Central Powers dug themselves into trenches - it's like they were attempting a phalanx of charging men against one of machine guns.

Interestingly, the most effective war technology utilized in the First World War was barbed wire. It was very easy to construct between the trenches at night, and very difficult for the enemy to destroy. Artillery bombardments barely harmed them, as the English learned after a number of post-bombardment no-man's-land-charges. The only means to penetrate them for most of the war was with wire cutters, but it was a futile mission when the dozens of barbed wired lines defended under a hail of machine gun fire was considered. The tank alleviated this during the end of the war, but Germany's loss was inevitable by 1917 anyhow, thanks to the British Naval Embargo.

The important thing to remember, in terms of who started it, is that it was Germany's war. Nearly all parties wanted in, but Germany was the instigator who pushed Austria into invading Serbia (4 weeks after the Arch Duke's assassination, mind you), and Kaiser Wilhelm called the war one which he "planned and initiated" on multiple occasions throughout the conflict.

If you get a chance, check out To End All Wars: A Story o Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 by Adam Hochschild. It's well-constructed narrative covering the war and the social issues it provoked in Britain.

WWI is pretty fascinating to me and it seems like my school ignores it other than "CEE was a fucked up place" kind of ideology. I really hope to take an indepth course through it militarily and ideologically.

@Black Orfice: Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions for poems or short stories on WWI or from the era? Narratives would work too. I've only got 45 minutes so it needs to be a segment that can stand on it's own.

@Neph: Yeah the thing about being a teacher is you get slaughered any time you misspell something.

@Black Orfice: Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions for poems or short stories on WWI or from the era? Narratives would work too. I've only got 45 minutes so it needs to be a segment that can stand on it's own.

Unfortunately, literature is my weak suit. Other than Keep the Home Fires Burning, a song written by Lena Guilbert Ford, an American staying in London who was killed in an air raid along with her son in 1918, in 1915 to aid the war effort. WWI warfare innovations expanded beyond direct war related technology and encompassed the social sphere as well. Twentieth century warfare requires industrialization and, with it, a work force to fill those jobs. As a result of war time conscription, the British faced a labor shortage in their factories and women filled these roles, giving many women, though, contrary to popular myth, women have always worked, the opportunity to step into "masculine" roles like working in munitions and plane factories or driving trams and trains. To further encourage women to both work in the factories (or to become nurses) and influence the men in their lives to join the war effort, the government embarked on a mass-propaganda campaign, another First World War innovation. What I'm getting at with all of this and the song mentioned initially is the notion of a "home front," a term invented during the First World War. That the First World War was not just a war, but a social event and one that marked a new paradigm (or epoch, perhaps?) in the wartime roles of the entire citizenry.

Actually, if you would like, I wrote a paper on British women's roles during the war and would be happy to send you a copy. I devote a couple of pages to literature intended to propagate support for the war through the depiction of German atrocities against Belgian women, which may point you in the right direction for some literature. Later in the paper, at the end, really, I give a fair amount of treatment to Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, a captivating account of the war from a happy-go-lucky scholar to a disillusioned nurse. Though it's technically non-fiction, it certainly counts as literature. The paper is a quick read, about 21 pages, not including title page and bibliography, with Chicago formatting, so, with 76 citations, it's probably more like 16 or a little less. PM me your email address if you're interested.

One of the most famous novels about WWI is probably Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms.

Rudyard Kipling wrote some pretty nationalistic poems during the war.

Thanks for the recs guys! BlackOrfice, I'll probably take you up on the article if I get the position as I will need to fill in a lot of my history blanks, considering the school's curriculum.

For the demo lesson, I'm gonna do a brief nonfiction article on the everyday lives of soldiers in WWI from the British Library and a few pages from Joseph Roth's Rebellion, which is about a soldier returning from WWI. Afterwards I'll have the students do some synthesis questions drawing inferences about the novel based on the nonfiction text. That's about as good as I can do in a mere 45 minutes. I'm hoping I haven't over-planned... I'll definitely need to be on my game with regards to time management.

I wasn't fucking accepted to the MsC program I wanted. So now I have to decide between continuing what I started on the tropical agriculture faculty OR move to another school for the Food Science/Technology thing. That would mean leaving my CULS uni which is like my favorite place ever fuck cunt.

EDIT: A huge fuck up. I had 56/100 on the entering exams. 70 was the limit. The test was hard as fuck for some reason.

Can you retake the test?

I need to reschedule the GRE but fuck if I know when I'm going to have time to.

Well, a few weeks ago I submitted an abstract for a MAPACA conference (the Mid-Atlantic Popular and American Culture Association). I received an email today telling me my proposal was accepted, so now it looks like I have to write a conference paper.

The tentative title and topic is: "'A machine my mother?': Locating the Android in Ellison’s Invisible Man"

I'm preparing a paper of mine to submit for publication. I have my fingers crossed, but, considering this is my first attempt at becoming published, I'm keeping my expectations realistic. My thesis is original though, so I think I stand a chance. Do you guys have any advice you may be able to offer me?

^^^congratulations! :kickass:

Ein: it depends a lot on the journal. If you're familiar with it then you should know the kind of material they accept. Of course who knows. I sent in a paper on House of Leaves to a journal which previously published some rather interesting papers on it. They said my paper should never be published anywhere. Editors are funny people

That was actually Black Orifice. I would suggest looking at the most recent issue of the journal you're looking at and seeing if your topic fits. On top of that, try and get some feedback beyond the grade you received in class. Journal articles are different than seminar essays, although your argument can still be the same. Different journals have different expectations.

In other news, I'm actually succeeded in placing a paper at the MAPACA conference in Baltimore. I mentioned it above but my news was co-opted by Onder's relatively unimportant post.