The "Education" Thread

This semester is a stress ball.

I'm teaching a composition course on "cybernetic writing," which is great. The students are reading a lot of work by Norbert Wiener, as well as some science fiction, and doing writing exercises based on certain cybernetic principles (e.g. feedback, autopoiesis, organization, etc.).

The class is going well for the most part, but I'm also submitting applications for job openings, and the market sucks. Not that many good positions for twentieth-century scholars. But anyway, it's the usual gauntlet--job letters, dissertation abstracts, teaching statements, all tailored to each position. There are also several postdocs to which I'm applying, some of which sound more appealing than most of the positions I'm applying for. Worst comes to worst, I sit at BU for one more season and apply again next year.

On the plus side, the Journal of Modern Literature wants me to revise and resubmit an essay I sent to them, so there's some light, at the end of some tunnel, somewhere along this weird ride.

My Fall has been chill compared to this past spring, mostly because I killed myself getting my thesis proposal written from scratch in 3 mos while dealing with everything else. Gotta start the defense writing soon though, and this coming Spring has a heavier class load.

I think a lot of people would find it odd given some stereotypes, but I think I like military life and environs about as much as I imagine I would dislike law enforcement. If I had to be involved in law I'd rather be a judge than anything else.

This might be my last stop before commissioning. Test was pretty easy, might be in the FBI if I didn't smoke hashish in Colorado. Shit is wild.

Trekking to Memphis this evening for the annual conference of the Society for Utopian Studies. I'm participating in a roundtable discussion on Darko Suvin, who published Metamorphoses of Science Fiction back in 1979, which was monumental in establishing science fiction as worthy of academic attention.

I'm going to be talking about science fiction and cybernetics, the latter of which gets only a brief but revealing mention in Suvin's book. He's primarily focused on late-nineteenth and early-twentieth-century SF, so it makes sense that cybernetics isn't as important for him; but I'm suggesting that the history of cybernetic development surrounding World War II establishes a mediating discourse through which we can read overlapping aesthetic and conceptual strategies in literary modernism (i.e. Conrad, Faulkner, Joyce, Woolf, etc.) and science fiction.

Applying for grants and preparing applications on a yearly basis is getting old. Right now I'm trying to secure a grant to stay in Germany for a second year, but on a research grant with better pay instead of my current teaching grant. It's way worse sending out emails to potential advisers in another language, particularly when rejections start coming though. I'm holding out hope though. If worst comes to worse, I'll head to Berlin and start begging across three campuses. But if I get what I'm pursuing, I'll be a year free of writing applications.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Jobs thread, but I interviewed (for the second time going three rounds) at one of the colleges I work for a full-time tenure-track position, and I got it. I'm so stoked, but it's weird because it doesn't feel real yet

Here's to the end of adjunct hell! Congrats!!!

Reactions: unknown
Thanks! It's been rough commuting between three campuses and not knowing what my class load is going to be like each semester. The college I'm ending up at is one of my favorites. I coordinate their Summer Bridge program and helped develop an Upper-Division Automotive Technical Writing Course, as Rio Hondo College is one of only 15 community colleges in the state to have a bachelor's (Automotive Technology). There is very much a family-like atmosphere among the faculty, and the campus is really nice, too. Gonna go in tomorrow and see what paper work I need to fill out and such

I don't envy people trying to go the academic route for a multiplicity of reasons, but I wish good luck to those trying to make it happen. I don't believe any of us in my lab wish to go the academic route, and I think it kind of hurts our mentoring professor in the feels sometimes.

Reactions: unknown
I don't envy people trying to go the academic route for a multiplicity of reasons, but I wish good luck to those trying to make it happen. I don't believe any of us in my lab wish to go the academic route, and I think it kind of hurts our mentoring professor in the feels sometimes.

Yeah. I had a former student who is about to enter grad school interview me for one of his classes (fellow English major). One of his questions was what advice I had for people trying to get into teaching in higher ed. I replied, "Don't." The student in question would (will) make a fine instructor, but too many people go into grad school and then just go into academia. If you want to teach or do research, then good. But don't go into either because you feel like you have to or because you have no idea what else to do. I have friends with English degrees who work for Apple, software development companies, and Facebook. My wife is an Art Major and is the Director of Finance and Administration for a non-profit that lobbies on behalf of CSU students.

Reactions: Dak
Yeah. I had a former student who is about to enter grad school interview me for one of his classes (fellow English major). One of his questions was what advice I had for people trying to get into teaching in higher ed. I replied, "Don't." The student in question would (will) make a fine instructor, but too many people go into grad school and then just go into academia. If you want to teach or do research, then good. But don't go into either because you feel like you have to or because you have no idea what else to do. I have friends with English degrees who work for Apple, software development companies, and Facebook. My wife is an Art Major and is the Director of Finance and Administration for a non-profit that lobbies on behalf of CSU students.

I thoroughly enjoy mentoring or tutoring, but being a professor involves so many thing not that that I have less than zero interest in. Of course, I find military life a relative breeze, and most would not. Different strokes.

I'm teaching WR 150 this semester, which means that all my students have taken WR 100 or some equivalent thereof. Seeing as I dealt with a lot of unacceptable shit in my WR 100 seminar last semester, I'm distributing this introductory handout to get a few things on the table (think of it as my "airing of grievances"):

WR 150: Cybernetic Writing

Writing Handout (A cautionary tale in ten points…)

If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself.
~George Orwell, “Politics and the English Language”

1. Critique, not Evaluation

Unless you’re an expert on aesthetics, your reader does not care whether you think a story is good or bad, exciting or boring, exemplary or deplorable. Your critical argument is not an evaluation of the text, but an analysis of key details that proposes a specific way to read the text. Comments on a story’s good or bad qualities (its excellent depictions or perfect examples, etc.) will be read as filler and may result in -3 points per comment.

2. Active, not Passive

The passive voice describes a sentence in which the subject is acted on by the verb, for example: “The subject of the sentence is acted on by the verb.”

· The ship was sailed by the crew.

· The test was taken by the students.

· The game was played by the team.

Passive voice is not technically incorrect, but it can cause confusion in longer sentences and degrades the quality of written prose. Instead of the passive constructions listed above, consider the following:

· The crew sailed the ship.

· The students took the test.

· The team played the game.

In most cases, changing sentences from passive to active improves their clarity and quality. Don’t rely on the passive because you think it makes you sound intelligent; it doesn’t. The number of passive constructions in any given paper bears an inverse relationship to my level of patience with said paper. Papers that contain more than two passive constructions per page (on average) may see -5 points for every passive construction.

3. Stating, not Staging

Your papers’ sentences should be assertive and confident, declarative and illustrative. Avoid the interrogative mode and rhetorical questions: e.g. “Who wouldn’t want to live a life of luxury?” Your readers shouldn’t feel that they have to answer questions; you’re doing that for them. Don’t patronize your readers, but inform them. Don’t tell your readers there is something important about a certain detail, but tell them what that something is. Staging sentences might look like

· This detail is incredibly important.

· The story presents many significant themes.

· This idea parallels a crucial event in the story.

Instead of staging your claims, state them. Don’t say that a detail is important, but explain why. Don’t insist that a story presents many significant themes, but identify those themes through discussion. In most cases, staging sentences are superfluous and serve one purpose: achieving a word count. For this reason, staging sentences will be subtracted from the total word count and may result in -4 points each.

4. Claims, not Suggestions

Your critical arguments should be coherent and focused. Suggesting that a detail “can be seen” a certain way, or that it “might mean” something important, often leaves readers wondering whether it should be seen a certain way, whether it does mean something important, and whether you actually believe what you’re writing. If you’re not confident in your argument, then your readers won’t be confident in it either. Unless a sentence featuring “it might be suggested that” is immediately followed by a firm rebuttal, revise it. Sentences that merely speculate may result in -5 points each and will not be considered as part of the argument.

5. Arguments, not Proofs

Avoid the temptation to say that a particular detail or element of a text proves that your claim is the right one. Fictional texts aren’t theorems, and we derive less value from them by proving than we do by persuading. Your goal in each paper assignment is to collect enough evidence from your exhibit and argument sources (or what you might have called “primary” and “secondary” sources in high school) to craft a convincing reading of your exhibit text; but this reading is not the “right” or “truthful” reading. Claiming that you have proven your argument opens the door for critics to poke holes in it. All it takes is one exception, one convincing alternative reading, and your “proof” goes “poof.” Instead of viewing your papers as proofs of your text’s meaning, think of them as interventions into discussions about the text that aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. You want to be confident in your argument without being myopic. In other words, try to envision how your argument doesn’t “disprove” other arguments, but complements and enhances them. Using the word “prove” may result in -3 points per use.

*Your paper should fall somewhere between speculating and proving.

6. Analyzation, not Summarization

Neither the first half, nor the first page, nor the first paragraph of your paper should consist of summary. Any summarization that appears should correspond to the details you draw on to support your argument. You should not discuss details according to the order they appear in the story, but according to their relevance for your argument. In other words, you can begin your paper with the beginning of the story, but you can also begin with the end of the story. The analytical organization is up to you, as long as it exhibits a clear and cogent pattern of thought. Papers that indulge in summarization may lose between 5 and 15 points, depending on the extent of summary. If a paper consists mostly of summarization, it may receive an F. Additionally, if a paper consists significantly of commentary not pertaining to the text, it may receive an F.

7. Transitions Matter

Paragraph breaks are not insignificant or cosmetic. They should appear at crucial moments and signal movements in the argument, but these movements should be connected. Transitions allow you to illustrate for your readers how paragraphs connect to one another, and to justify why you’re moving in a new conceptual direction. Transitions should exhibit clear and sensical links between the end of one paragraph and the beginning of another. Your paper should not look like a list of what might as well be stream-of-consciousness reflections. When beginning a new paragraph, think about why you’re doing so and articulate those reasons. Paragraphs that begin with “Another theme” or “Another idea” or “Another detail” may result in -10 points and will be disregarded.

8. Punctuation Matters

Periods go at the end of complete sentences. Unless you’re writing creative fiction, complete sentences should not be less than four words. That said, “The first man to walk on the moon.” is still not a complete sentence (if you don’t know why, then I suggest you schedule an appointment with the writing center). Commas should be used to connect dependent clauses to independent clauses. When commas unite two independent clauses this is called a comma splice, and it results in a run-on sentence. If you want to signal that two sentences are conceptually linked, you can connect them with a semicolon. A semicolon should not connect an independent clause to a dependent clause. A colon should be used to introduce an explanation, quotation, or list. Use colons and semicolons sparingly in general prose. The titles of “short stories,” “articles,” “chapters,” and “songs” should be placed in quotation marks; the titles of books, movies, plays, and albums should be italicized. More than two punctuation errors per page (on average) may result in -2 points per error.

9. Proofreading Matters

Read your sentences out loud when you proofread. If a sentence sounds strange or doesn’t make any sense, don’t delude yourself into thinking that you knew what you meant when you wrote it. If it no longer makes sense to you, then it won’t make sense to your readers. If you come across words that are misspelled, or repeated, or sentences that are missing words, then correct them. Misspelled, missing, or repeated words will be supplemented with random words of my choosing and may result in -5 points per word (in the age of the internet, there really is no excuse for misspelling words).

10. Citation Matters

Paraphrasing someone else’s writing without acknowledging your source is plagiarism and will result in failure for the assignment and potentially for the course. The easiest way to avoid plagiarism is to cite everything you quote and paraphrase. General and substantially uncontroversial information does not need to be cited; e.g. you do not need to cite that “Philip K. Dick is an American science fiction writer.” Specific and interpretive comments do require citation if they’re not your own; e.g. you need to cite that “Philip K. Dick’s science fiction is less about the posthuman than it is about the way that material objects animate and mediate human relationships” (Brown, Other Things 125). Citing your sources not only gives credit where credit is due, but establishes your position within scholarly discourse. It opens your readers to the wealth of conversations going on about your paper’s topic, and invites them to explore these conversations. By citing your sources, you carve out your territory in a discursive tradition.

Good luck! And remember…

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss,
you will land among the stars…

Although the moon is 238,900 miles away, and the nearest star is 93 million miles away.
So, go ahead and shoot for the moon—
You slackers.

Last edited:
Ein: do you actually go over and teach these ideas throughout the semester (or even the first two weeks), or is this just a handout that you go over?

I go over all these things in detail and spend class time on them throughout the WR 100 semester, as it's part of the curriculum. I actually don't distribute this handout in WR 100 because I figure students will be unfamiliar with a lot of the stipulations and I don't want to scare them off.

By the time they get to WR 150, they should know these things, or at least more than half of them. I distribute the handout as a reminder. I'll still undoubtedly go over some of these things during class time, but the point is to spook them into remembering their WR 100 course at least a little bit. A major part of the WR 150 curriculum is working on how to do research, so I can't afford to spend as much time on the mechanics and etiquette of critical prose.

Good piece on Aeon: https://aeon.co/essays/writing-essays-by-formula-teaches-students-how-to-not-think

The issue is this: as so often happens in subjects that are taught in school, the template designed as a means toward attaining some important end turns into an end in itself. As a consequence, form trumps meaning. For example, elementary-school students learn to divide a number by a fraction using this algorithm: invert and multiply. To divide by ½, you multiply the number by two. This gives you the right answer, but it deflects you from understanding why you might want to divide by a fraction in the first place (eg, to find out how many half-pound bags of flour you could get from a 10-pound container) and why the resulting number is always larger than the original.

Something similar happens with the five-paragraph essay. The form becomes the product. Teachers teach the format as a tool; students use the tool to create five paragraphs that reflect the tool; teachers grade the papers on their degree of alignment with the tool. The form helps students to reproduce the form and get graded on this form. Content, meaning, style, originality and other such values are extraneous – nice but not necessary.

This is a variation of Goodhart’s Law, which says: ‘When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.’ For example, if test scores become the way to measure student and teacher success, then both parties will work to maximise these scores at the expense of acquiring the underlying skills that these scores are supposed to measure. Assess students on their ability to produce the form of a five-paragraph essay and they will do so, at the expense of learning to write persuasive arguments. The key distinction here is between form and formalism. A form is useful and necessary as a means for achieving a valued outcome. But when form becomes the valued outcome, then it has turned into formalism.

Reactions: Dak