The first Are You Dead Yet? review

At the listening session of Are You Dead Yet?, COB only presented 4 songs because the rest wasn't finished yet.

Living Dead Beat starts with a keyboard intro which sounds like from the Queensryche song "Best I Can" and the songs ends with "screaming" guitars (like in the beginning of Raining Blood). The chorus is melodic and sounds like In Flames. The song has a duel of Alexi and Janne and at the keyboards sound very "modern"

The song Are You Dead Yet? starts with double bass and then the song gets very groovy. Alexi's vocals have a touch of Pantera. The chrous has a simple beat and it's one of the simplest structured COB songs ever. The song ends very sudden under 4 minutes.

Bastards Of Bodom is the song which sounds most like COB and reminds a bit to Needled 24/7.

I can't remember much more. Tomorrow I'll get 2 more reports of listening sessions.

is the length of the cd gonna be the same as the others or is it gonna be shorter?

and do you know if there are any real long crazy solos like in kissing the shadows or chokehold?

I have no idea about the length. I just can tell you what I read.

Here's one more report about the 4 songs:

Living Dead Beat: Pop-sounding keyboard intro, modern groove and fast as hell! The chorus sounds like COB meets Soilwork, catchy song.

Are You Dead Yet?: Surprises with a Slayer-like beginning. Heavy grooves and modern staccato riffs meet a typical COB melody.

We're Not Gonna Fall: Lots of 80s influences and a guitar/keyboard duel for the first time.

In Your Face: A very hard and fast Thrash song with speed attacks in the vein of Slayer/The Haunted.

Alexi said that they reduced the guitar vs. keyboard duels. But there are many parts where you only hear a guitar or keyboard solo.

And here's another one about the four songs:

Living Dead Beat: A keyboard intro in the vein of Europe starts. After a short double bass part the rhythm guitar starts with staccato riffing. After some modern parts comes up-tempo Thrash with much power and even more melody. Alexi screams like a dog but uses an almost clean voice in the pop-sounding chorus. Besides the modern elements there's an old school solo.

Are You Dead Yet?: The title track starts with a double bass attack and Thrash Metal riffs. The middle part is in a slower tempo and comes with a nice melody. The song is built around rocking and modern riffs. The tempo gets varied and the whole song sounds like a classical COB song. At the end you can hear a guitar vs. keyboard duel.

We're Not Gonna Fall: A deep, dark and heavy riffs starts and after the song turns into "Happy Heavy Metal" in the vein of Edguy or Helloween. There are very modern guitar parts with some breakdowns.

In Your Face: After staccato riffing and heavy drumming a keyboard melody starts. After that comes the main riff and the tempo gets increased. Mega fast Death Thrash in Swedish tradition. In the middle part the tempo gets slower for a while. The song doesn't has blastbeats like many songs on Something Wild or Warheart on Hatebreeder but this song could be called the fastest song in the band history because of the thrashy beats.

1. Living Dead Beat
2. Are You Dead Yet?
3. If You Want Peace... Prepare for War
4. Punch Me I Bleed
5. In Your Face
6. Next in Line
7. Bastards of Bodom
8. Trashed, Lost & Strungout
9. We're Not Gonna Fall

Aggresive names dont you think lol :D....im looking forward to bastards of bodom :D

I too heard the full album.
It didn't do too much for me to be honest.
But it was a proper listen anyway.
It sounded like the rawness of Something Wild, mixed with the style of FTR.

Where did I hear it ?
My friend's place, who lives in Espoo and works for Spinefarm.
The promo's are pressed, but no one is getting one until the 3rd week of August.
The single isn't pressed yet, he played me the cdr.

I fully captured In Your Face with my digital camera when I was in Tuska festival and of course I've watched the video many times. So if you want some details in bad english... The song is very catchy, starting with a riff similar to the first riff in Everytime I Die. Then Janne starts to play a keyboard melody on the riff. Then comes the "I don't give a flying fuck"-riff, and it sounds like the pre-chorus riff in Hate Crew Deathroll, but better and heavier. A melodic thrash riff with fast tempo starts the first verse and Alexi starts to scream. After the first verse the intro riff is played with some "Incoming!" warshouts and then comes the (in)famous pre-chorus with Alexi screaming "I don't give a flying fuck motherfucker!". After two verses comes a very catchy chorus (in a way of Needled 24/7 and T,L&SO) with a traditional CoB melody and a guitar and a keyboard solo, they are fast and pretty traditional also. Then there's another thrash riff and the second chorus. It's an amazing song.

gaz said:
The promo's are pressed, but no one is getting one until the 3rd week of August.

Maybe no one except me? I just got my original promo version of the album. I didn't listen to it yet but I think I feel ready and will do so soon. I'm gonna write a few words about it when I come home from Earthshaker festival.

Jesse- said:
And I thought SOB.com was a FANsite. But it seems the site is full of "official" journalists.

Yhyy. We have other contacts and are working on other projects aswell.

Also, how does running a fansite make us lesser journalists than those who don't do it for a passion for the band's music but just because they get paid?