The future of metal

I reckon Meshuggah would be happy with being uncategorisable. They are metal that's for damn sure. I don't think they used to be thrash, Destroy Erase Improve isn't a thrash album. Their newer stuff has industrial elements but it certainly isn't industrial.

^ Someone please delete above posts.

Meshuggah have death metal vocals. Period. Secondly, they have technical brutal riffs and some experimentation. They are not thrash and they are not hardcore. I think we can just call them Extreme Noise Metal. :)

edit: or maybe they are Post-Apocalyptic Thrash-core :Smug:

Satanstoenail said:
I reckon Meshuggah would be happy with being uncategorisable. They are metal that's for damn sure. I don't think they used to be thrash, Destroy Erase Improve isn't a thrash album. Their newer stuff has industrial elements but it certainly isn't industrial.

Is it right to call them mathcore, due to how the play in weird times.

MetalNoob said:
Is it right to call them mathcore, due to how the play in weird times.

no. mathcore is hardcore/grindcore, but in wierd time sigs, and all that math. I think Dillinger Escape Plan fall into this catagory. THey are math metal, but that is a vague term and they certainly are very different from other math metal bands. I think DestroyEraseImprove is post thrash, chaosphere is avant-garde death metal, and nothing is, well, I can't really fit it to a genre, but catch-33 is like a fusion of ambient with whatever nothing is. But anyways, it isn't the future of metal, because metal needs to be easier to play and compose for it to catch on and become the next big thing. I do think the future of metal will involve lower and slower music though, kinda like meshuggah w/ the 8 stringers. Imagine nu-metal, and exemplify/extremify the characteristcs of it, make it good quality, and that is what I think will happen next. Strong clean vocals, like tool, more complex drumming, and possibly more subtlety. I think the next genre will evolve out of nu-metal, but will actually be good. It will, of course, be primarily influenced by real metal.

Just because something is weird timed does not mean it's hard to play or technical. Do some of you even play an instrument ?

The ending for New Millennium Cyanide for example is one note. Majority of meshuggah's riffs consist of one note or a few.

MetalNoob said:
Meshuggah seem to me to be a avant-garde hardcore band.

But in NO way death metal.

LOL, that would be my description as well.

"Do some of you even play an instrument ?"

Yes, I do and I find their stuff rather simplistic.

The Greys said:
Just because something is weird timed does not mean it's hard to play or technical. Do some of you even play an instrument ?

The ending for New Millennium Cyanide for example is one note. Majority of meshuggah's riffs consist of one note or a few.

I never said it was technical, I just said they played in different timings. The again you're probably not talking to me.