The Game Thread

I used to think that, but today's evil information corporations (mostly apple and facebook) are so much worse that ms end up looking like sweet angels.

That's true too. Which is funny because facebook (supposedly) started out as a place that wasn't supposed to be buttraped with ads and what not but it's slowly going down that path. Obviously they didn't notice what happend to myspace lol. That shit is barely recognizable as a website anymore. It looks like a wall covered in stickers at a dirty club bathroom.

joeshmo.gif

lol, pretty much, but microsoft just like any evil, money-grubbing company will try to milk it dry and run it's corpse into the dirt.

Halo is indeed a cash cow, but one that is being milked gracefully

I know casuals and hardcore halo fans who agree that halo 4 looks fucking awesome

I'd recommend stone's hinge not read this post, but everyone knows the ending anyway.

Well I'm sorry to hear that son *pats*

:lol:

I got the extended cut, so I kind of liked it. The starchild [insert Jari soundbite here] was kind of bullshit, but it was going to be some sort of stupid MacGuffin anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

The journey through the trilogy and the character relationships/interactions (and blowing shit up) were what I played for, and it more or less delivered on that front. I do want a free dlc where Shepard is rescued from the rubble and becomes the ME equivalent of Captain Kirk and does some cool missions and shit, then retires to a farm or something with the love interest (Tali in my case).

That would be some decent closure to a series that absorbed about 150 hours of my life :lol:

I'd recommend stone's hinge not read this post, but everyone knows the ending anyway.

I got the extended cut, so I kind of liked it. The starchild [insert Jari soundbite here] was kind of bullshit, but it was going to be some sort of stupid MacGuffin anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

The journey through the trilogy and the character relationships/interactions (and blowing shit up) were what I played for, and it more or less delivered on that front. I do want a free dlc where Shepard is rescued from the rubble and becomes the ME equivalent of Captain Kirk and does some cool missions and shit, then retires to a farm or something with the love interest (Tali in my case).

That would be some decent closure to a series that absorbed about 150 hours of my life :lol:

Well, you were probably hyped into thinking the ending was absolutely horrible, so when they delivered something that was meh-worthy but not gouge-your-eyes-out bad, you were overimpressed. The same happened to me even in the normal cut with the glaring plot holes (which were never as bad as people made them out to be anyway - whenever someone mentioned the Arrival DLC I felt like exploding myself in a mall - which is something you can probably relate to). But well, the only way to have it somewhat consistent is to stop at ME1, since there's absolutely-no-fucking-way the reapers would've been able to leave dark space without the citadel relay, so well.

The game up to that point, however, excluding some awkward design choices/dialogue was superb. But I've since finished The Witcher 2 and now I know what a game with REAL choices is like, so I'm probably spoiled.

Finally got my hands on Shadow of the Colossus (aka got money). After finishing it my mind was blown into kazillion pieces only because it simply was the most epic and emotionally charged game I've ever played. After the ending I really felt sympathy for Wander and on the top of that I really felt guilty for slaying those 16 innocent colossi. Also, I like how much the game doesn't tell the player about the surrounding world or the story behind Wander, Dormin or the Forbidden Lands. Modern gamers would of course call them plot holes but I liked it as it gave the player a complete freedom to make up their own backstories. Easily one of the best PS2 games ever.

Hard to think that I've beaten already three games this year that have totally blown my mind because usually the games I play don't have a huge emotional impact on me. SotC, FF10 and Xenoblade Chronicles on the other hand were all near-perfect games without any kind of major flaws what comes to gameplay and every one of them had great cast of characters (Also in SotC but in a different way) and tearjerking plot.

Now I'm playing Final Fantasy 13 and I'm a little afraid that it will overally feel like a huge disapointment because I cleared both SotC and Xenoblade less than a week ago, but I have 18 hours in and I've liked it so far.

Well, you were probably hyped into thinking the ending was absolutely horrible, so when they delivered something that was meh-worthy but not gouge-your-eyes-out bad, you were overimpressed. The same happened to me even in the normal cut with the glaring plot holes (which were never as bad as people made them out to be anyway - whenever someone mentioned the Arrival DLC I felt like exploding myself in a mall - which is something you can probably relate to). But well, the only way to have it somewhat consistent is to stop at ME1, since there's absolutely-no-fucking-way the reapers would've been able to leave dark space without the citadel relay, so well.

The game up to that point, however, excluding some awkward design choices/dialogue was superb. But I've since finished The Witcher 2 and now I know what a game with REAL choices is like, so I'm probably spoiled.

Yeah, self-detonation tempts on occasion.

But I guess that makes sense, that said I'm sure there's some way for the Reapers to enter the galaxy, seeing as they built the mass relays they should theoretically have a backup plan(s). The ending was decent. Good enough generally? Yeah. Good enough to live up to the series in general? No. But not awful.

Agreed on the first sentence in that last paragraph. Heard good things about the Witcher 2, but wondering if it will have the same level of personal investment that ME inspired in me.

But I guess that makes sense, that said I'm sure there's some way for the Reapers to enter the galaxy, seeing as they built the mass relays they should theoretically have a backup plan(s).

I'm thinking the human reaper was the whole backup plan, but we took care of that so there'd be no way for them to open the citadel relay... I mean, I agree with you in a sense that I'd much sooner've bought that there was a second, hidden citadel-relay-type-thing (there were so many unopened relays anyway), or that maybe they could do something related to the dark-energy-inside-of-stars red herring. But they decided to just fucking walk into mordor, which was well enough established to take thousands of years even with super reaper FTL.

Agreed on the first sentence in that last paragraph. Heard good things about the Witcher 2, but wondering if it will have the same level of personal investment that ME inspired in me.

Without any regards to personal taste (i.e., your mileage may vary as usual): yes. TW1 is kind of unimpressive at first, becomes better towards the end, but TW2 is just amazing throughout. The kind of emotional investment you get from your choices actually having very real consequences makes it a very intense experience. For example, the entirety of Act 2 changes according to a decision at the end of Act 1. The characters you ally with change, the result of certain military campaigns change, and the overall political situation changes quite dramatically. It's a very mature, adult sort of game. Can't wait for TW3.

Well the Omega-4 relay was still intact (unless if kabloom'd in the Collector base explosion, I forget), and there's nothing to state that they didn't come through another relay (I mean they were going to come through that one in Arrival anyway), it's all accessory anyway. I liked Drew Karpyshyn's original idea for the ending, dark energy was a much cooler idea than some yin-yang bollocks about organics and synthetics (which was a goddamn paradox anyway as the Catalyst/Reapers fulfill that expectation by their very existence-"the created always rebel against the creators"-which is EXACTLY what that stupid space kid did when it forcibly turned its creator race into the first Reapers and immediately therefore invalidated all of its opinions IMO).

I'll definitely look into TW2 then (might skip the first and read up on it, I don't buy very many games, for reference even though I loved ME I borrowed all 3 games from different people). Sleeping Dogs looks pretty fun too, but in more of a GTA-on-crack in Hong Kong kind of way, might purchase if things are still good at the end of exam results day. I do want to get back to Skyrim and play Dawnguard, but the whole game feels so lifeless at times, with regards to NPCs-feels like more of a dicking-around game now. That and it wouldn't let me marry Karliah. Bah.

All of this is just a distraction until Halo 4 absorbs my life in November anyway.

he was the gears of war guy, aye, hence the joke

I have a pretty casual knowledge of devs but enough to find that one hilarious I guess

Not a big fan of Gears. The story mode is okay but the multiplayer is complete dildos. I think we've had this conversation before actually lol...

Just ordered this poster. Awwwww yeah.

Related; the Citadel DLC for this game rates 11/10 for me. Favourite DLC ever along with all of Halo 2's multiplayer maps and Dragonborn (Skyrim)

art-screenprint-me-handofgod-full.jpg