The GMD Social Hobby Thread

I like Space Hulk, and I'm currently halfway through painting minis for Betrayal at Calth, but I don't see significant appeal in offshoot non-complete GW stuff. At least Blood Bowl is sort-of a board game, and NFL footballish at that.

40k Conquest is really fun to me but unfortunately I have zero people around here or with the tabletop simulator who are interested in playing it.

I went to my local game shop for the first time in a couple of years last Thursday and it was still populated only by MTG and somehow Yugioh players. I'd be interested in learning more about 40k stuff, but no one there ever seems to be involved in it.

I'd be interested in learning more about 40k stuff, but no one there ever seems to be involved in it.

That's unfortunate. 40k is definitely opaque imo even with an active group, and it's taken a sort of wading in for me over the last 2 years to really start to get a grasp of the universe. It's simply so large that even someone very into it isn't even going to know half of it. You have to pick a faction and dive into that. The PC games help to some degree for less money if you PC game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
I'm a family man so there is always something going on with that. I sing and write lyrics for a local rock band and I also have another project ( trad country, americana i guess...) that I cowrite songs with another dude. It's pretty fun! I love music ,reading and horror movies. I'm an avid RPer ( mostly D&D). I'm also working on a 68 Camaro with my father in law.

I'm also a bit of a neck. Like Hank Jr. said I have a Shotgun, rifle and a four wheel drive. I really love the outdoors. I don't hunt much but I love to fish. I ocassionaly get to do a little fishing in the gulf but mostly it's freshwater: Bluegill , sunfish, wormouth and catfishing.

Decided to use my "personal" allowance of my tax return (usually set aside ~100 from it just for fun purposes) and bought a booster box of Oath of the Gatewatch.

First pack I open has a roughly $120 card in it.

Will be able to use it to fund my goblins standard deck 8)

I played in an MTG standard tournament one time and got crushed (of course). Losing is fine, but the amount of neckbeardery there turned me off from tournament play completely.

I used to do tournaments. Going to FNMs every Friday back when Ravnica/Time Spiral blocks were Standard. The golden years.

It's a good way to become a not-shit Magic player real fast.

Last mtg tournament I played in was the 8th edition prerelease. They gave us some packs, I forget how many really and then passed out lands as needed. I pulled several bombs... planar portal, verbal bloom, and a thorn elemental along with some targeted remove spells and a decent creature base. Went green/black.

i absolutely crushed the first stinky fucker I battled 2-0 (thorn elemental death march) and the second was a bit tougher but he went down 2-1. Had to leave after that because I was still a kid and my ride came to get us. Kinda depressing really.

It was weird back then even playing adults in a card game. I ended up quitting not too long after that. I quit wanting to be around the basement dwellers (see stank) and no money ='d no cards. Nowadays I like my music too much and I'd rather spend money on it.

Reactions: The Ozzman and Dak
There's not a significant age difference at my FLGS between the card gamers and minis gamers. There is a significant difference in maturity. 40k players tend to take care of personal hygiene basics and do not speak at a level just below shouting.

I've never had a problem with the hygiene or the general attitude of Magic players.

Sheeeeeeeiiiit.

All those guys smelled like a call of duty release night at GameStop. And they definitely tried to rip me off in trades constantly so their general attitude was garbage can too.

Reactions: Dak
I dunno. Maybe your general vicinities were just shit.

My LGS had mostly upstanding guys. A lot of them were fat, yeah, but well-kept, and nice to boot. They helped me out a lot when it came to deckbuilding and making decent plays.

oscar_the_grouch.jpg