The great and all powerful religion thread!

I always thought putting God in religion made the subject a lot more tense. You have Buddhism which has no God and when there are disagreements or revolutions within the religion they happen without book burning and killing. And also Buddhism cleared out Polytheistic religions throughout east Asia without bloodshed, unless I'm missing something.

But then you have various religions who aren't very different in their principles but resort to violence in their issues because they disagree on God.

I'm not saying it does, Mahayana Buddhism is what I believe (for the most part) but I am not trying to promote it or glorify it. I'm just saying that Theistic religions are more driven to violence over differences in their beliefs about Theology than Atheistic ones are about their beliefs on life.

I'm not saying it does, Mahayana Buddhism is what I believe (for the most part) but I am not trying to promote it or glorify it. I'm just saying that Theistic religions are more driven to violence over differences in their beliefs about Theology than Atheistic ones are about their beliefs on life.

Elaborate on your conception of Buddhism, please.

In no way did I imply I was pro-population reduction. Overpopulation is not so much the problem as the morbidly unequal distribution of resources.

True.

Now, try looking from my perspective: that the world and life have no purpose. Our evolution was a "mistake" in that it's the result of the tiniest of chances that a species develops a higher intellect than the rest of nature. Given that our civilization is destroying the environment and ourselves, the path we're taking will render the planet uninhabitable. That includes nuclear holocaust. Species that cannot adapt to their environment (in our case, by destroying it), by natural law will perish.

Luckily, more people are taking steps to slow this process down, perhaps even stop it. But it's a humanistic endeavor.

Of course, if you believe life has a purpose and that salvation is on the way both/either in this life or "the next", then you need not worry about current issues like global warming, because Revelation is soon to be fulfilled.

Although most of this is true I have a couple of points:

1. Global Warming is not being caused by humans, it is being caused by solar cycles of activity.
2. Despite the events of revelation, the first responsibility God gave to man in the Bible was to take care of the earth. The ruthless destruction of the earth for useless gain is a problem regardless of the catastrophes of Revelation. In fact if you look at what is supposed to happen first in the [millenium] is months of the "saved" cleaning up post-Tribulation.

Not exactly the "harps in heaven" idea that gets associated with Christianity.

As far as Necrofiends "weird" outlook, I believe events will transpire probably in the next few years that will appear to validate his claim that we supposedly came from aliens.

1. Global Warming is not being caused by humans, it is being caused by solar cycles of activity.

That doesn't account for the staggering amount of CO2, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere compared to past 700,000 years.

2. Despite the events of revelation, the first responsibility God gave to man in the Bible was to take care of the earth. The ruthless destruction of the earth for useless gain is a problem regardless of the catastrophes of Revelation. In fact if you look at what is supposed to happen first in the [millenium] is months of the "saved" cleaning up post-Tribulation.

Not exactly the "harps in heaven" idea that gets associated with Christianity.

I outright reject that we have any responsibility for that implies purpose, so I'll ignore this dross.

As far as Necrofiends "weird" outlook, I believe events will transpire probably in the next few years that will appear to validate his claim that we supposedly came from aliens.

Extraterrestrial bacteria if at all, but nothing to do with "aliens" in the popular sense.

That doesn't account for the staggering amount of CO2, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere compared to past 700,000 years.

According to the information I have been looking at CO2 follows the warming, not causes it. There are plenty of scientists speaking out against the human causation of "global warming". You need to read their work.

I outright reject that we have any responsibility for that implies purpose, so I'll ignore this dross.
?
I was just pointing out that a proper Biblical understanding would not lead to a "lets trash it cause it's getting destroyed anyway" mentality.

Extraterrestrial bacteria if at all, but nothing to do with "aliens" in the popular sense.

Like I said, study trends, specifically in the news. I expect something billed as aliens or whatever you want to call them to publicly "visit" Earth, probably within like 4 years.

The pope recently made it a sin to harm the environment.

Didn't the Vatican also come out recently saying that we should accept the theory of evolution? I like how the Catholic church these days is just like "Whatever, fuck it. Let's just go with the flow."