The great and all powerful religion thread!

Does everyone understand the great amount of difference between evangelical and catholic sects?

Ok, no....

No one takes any of my posts serious.

Well, do you feel that these differences actually have any impact on the arguments levelled against religion or Christianity in particular that have been provided in previous pages of this thread? If you do then by all means elaborate. However I seriously doubt that they do and personally am honestly not all that interested in the differences between the no doubt tens of thousands of various different religious doctrines and sects that are outthere. Sure some may be more malevolant or more benign than others but in the end they are all founded on the same flawed principals in my eyes (especially when dealing with theistic doctrines).

Well, do you feel that these differences actually have any impact on the arguments levelled against religion or Christianity in particular that have been provided in previous pages of this thread? If you do then by all means elaborate. However I seriously doubt that they do and personally am honestly not all that interested in the differences between the no doubt tens of thousands of various different religious doctrines and sects that are outthere. Sure some may be more malevolant or more benign than others but in the end they are all founded on the same flawed principals in my eyes (especially when dealing with theistic doctrines).

I will keep this short. The evangelical sect is much more based around the idea of controlling and have much ideas of how to make someone believe. The "Christ's army" is a evangelical thing. All of these moral control programes came from them.

The catholic religion is does not stand for that. I am not asking for you to be catholic. But for those making a stand against the Christan religion, go ahead, but please make it a little more precise. The truly flawed areas lie in the evangelical,baptists and the born-agains. This is just my thought.

I had an insanely jewish psychology teacher in 10th grade, named Feldman. This is before I was really cognizant of the "jews" though, so I was unaware of this at the time.

Apparently, after I got a 5 on the AP test, the year after he would talk about me in class all the time, because I was the first sophomore in my school to get a 5 on an AP test. I don't know if that says more about me or how shitty my high school was.

This is why I voted for you.

I will keep this short. The evangelical sect is much more based around the idea of controlling and have much ideas of how to make someone believe. The "Christ's army" is a evangelical thing. All of these moral control programes came from them.

The catholic religion is does not stand for that. I am not asking for you to be catholic. But for those making a stand against the Christan religion, go ahead, but please make it a little more precise. The truly flawed areas lie in the evangelical,baptists and the born-agains. This is just my thought.
Every sect of Christianity is incredibly flawed when it comes to the rationality of their beliefs. If you would like to show me why my prior arguments against Christianity do not apply to Catholicism then by all means do so.

Also, the Catholic church is NOT a good organization. Have we forgotten about the widespread corruption, sexual abuse, and homophobia that is rampant throughout the church? Not to mention their lack of support to AIDS charities in Africa all because they think condoms are bad.

Jesus Christ - I'm pretty sure that could have been said in about 1/3 as many words.

How does one go about being "insanely jewish"? Did he randomly break into a mean fiddle solo or talk about compound interest or something?

That may be true but it does not change the fundamentals upon which the religion is based and therefor will not sway any atheist's basic view of it. But you are right that the more evangelical and fundamentalist doctrines are a lot more poisonous and a lot more aggressive in spreading and enforcing their highly dubious and distorted moral standards.

Every Christian person I know adheres to more down to earth doctrines (though I'm not even sure what exactly some of them are) and I honestly have no problem with any of those people. But that doesn't stop me from fundamentally disagreeing with their existential (and in some cases maybe even moral) views.

These slipped through, this stuff is fun to talk about. Plus I've been reading up a bit.

There is the Bible itself. As written it is not a book that any group can gain a personal advantage with. Don’t ignore the “as written”. It protects itself from misuse. This is not the characteristic of a man-made religious text. What I lack to drive this point further is knowledge of other religious texts
One needs to look into the sources, biblical writers had strong biases and motivations for writing – much of the Deuteronomistic history (Deuteronomy through Kings) is written with a huge bias against the Northern kingdom of Israel, is really big on Judah, the benefits of monarchy and the perils of lesser governmental systems (ie. judges), the importance of the temple in Jerusalem over other lesser temples, Joshua is the second coming of Moses, the legitimacy of the Davidic line of kings over the kings of Israel, etc. There were political gains to be made by having (say) one’s line of descent linked with popular and powerful historical/folkloric characters and legends.

I have heard many claims that the Bible has a track record of historical and geographical accuracy, and has been cited as possibly the most accurate ancient text. I know this doesn’t prove it’s claims, but if it can be trusted in things we can verify, it lends credibility to the possibility that it is accurate in other ways. But I need to look into this a lot more. You guys have said it has been shown inaccurate in these areas, so I need to look into that.
The easy ones are false etymologies; these demonstrate the problems with historical inaccuracies in the bible on a simple level. Look at the naming of Moses – pharaoh’s daughter names him this because she pulled him from the water, according to Exodus 2:10 (the Hebrew for Moses is similar to the Hebrew word for “to draw from the water” – a common theme in the bible is naming people after events associated with their birth, see Isaac [“to laugh”] and Adam [from “adamah”, meaning “earth]). But why would pharaoh’s daughter, an *Egyptian*, name this random child she found after a Hebrew phrase? The etymologies given by the bible are rarely historically accurate, they are folk etymologies.

As for the archaeologically related stuff: these claims were probably made by someone who has read the arguments made by Albright without looking at the rebuttals. Overview:

The Albright theory is based around the Merneptah stele, a big rock that indicates an Israelite presence in Canaan around 1220 BCE. Albright adds the 400 years of exile indicated by Genesis 15:13 to get us to ~1600 BCE (the middle bronze age) as the date for the events of the ancestral narratives (Abraham and friends). The evidence found by Albright here was:

1. Names - basically names in languages cognate to Hebrew existed in the middle bronze age.
2. Customs – based on the Nuzi texts, customs described in the bible existed in the middle bronze age.
3. Ancestral lifestyle – certain tomb paintings depict a nomadic lifestyle in this era, and Egyptian execration texts say the land of the biblical wandering was sparsely populates (and thus well suited for a nomadic lifestyle).

The rebuttal led by Thompson (1974):
1. These names were not restricted to nor especially frequent in the middle bronze age.
2. The Nuzi texts aren’t from a Semitic culture and don’t parallel biblical customs all that closely (look it up).
3. The clothing in the cited tomb paintings suggest the depictions are of the Arabian peninsula, not Canaan, and the areas mentioned weren’t sparsely populated solely in the middle bronze age.

Albright’s dating also introduces anachronisms – Philistines weren’t present in the area during the middle bronze age, and several settlements (eg. Beer-Sheba) weren’t occupied in the middle bronze age.

You can also look at Joshua. Twenty of the towns mentioned as conquered during the 13th century BCE (still going by Merneptah stele dating) have been excavated, and only six of were both occupied and destroyed during this century. Two of those six have been discovered to have been conquered and destroyed not by Israelites, but Philistines. Also the well-known account of the destruction of the walls of Jericho is historically problematic; archeological evidence dates this event to 1550 BCE.

Principle source: Coogan.

Total bullshit statement. I want proof.

Timothy 2: 11-13, "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve, and Adam was not decieved , but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. yet woman will be saved through bearing children. If she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty."

Among others.

Also, the Catholic church is NOT a good organization. Have we forgotten about the widespread corruption, sexual abuse, and homophobia that is rampant throughout the church? Not to mention their lack of support to AIDS charities in Africa all because they think condoms are bad.

Widespread corruption is a part of human nature and it is sure to happen to any group that has a wide group of members. You seem to not comment on the good that the church does, both on large
terms and on local terms. Lets not forget the various forms of aid that ARE in Africa. Homophobia is around in other people also. Regardless of me being of Catholic faith I find it disgusting. The Vatican only does so much in terms of support and that is when local communities lend their own hand to help. You argument is one-sided in the worst way.