The great and all powerful religion thread!

Timothy 2: 11-13, "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve, and Adam was not decieved , but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. yet woman will be saved through bearing children. If she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty."

Among others.

Well, I stand corrected.

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her[rape her], and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29

That one always gets me.

Alter your second point might be good if the things I mentioned actually was corruption. It is not corruption however it is the actual doctrine of the Catholic church. You are disobeying the Catholic doctrine if you feel it is ok for gay people to have equal rights or for AIDS afflicted countries to distribute contraceptives. I find that doctrine repulsive.

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her[rape her], and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29

lol @ bible humor

Alter your second point might be good if the things I mentioned actually was corruption. It is not corruption however it is the actual doctrine of the Catholic church. You are disobeying the Catholic doctrine if you feel it is ok for gay people to have equal rights or for AIDS afflicted countries to distribute contraceptives. I find that doctrine repulsive.

Which leads to the fact that there are multiple Catholic doctrines on many levels. One large one in say New York may be very anti-gay but light on premarital sex while one small cabin church in the forests in Wisconsin maybe fine with homosexuality but very strong on premarital sex. The idea of what is a sin or not or how strong that sin is makes up a huge part of the Catholic faith. Its is always widely up for interpretation and free to open thinking. As you can see sects are very different and have huge moral differences.

Lets also make note that the bible was written a very long time ago by men with the influence of what is called god. It is not perfect in anyway.

Timothy 2: 11-13, "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve, and Adam was not decieved , but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. yet woman will be saved through bearing children. If she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty."

Among others.

If you would read the whole passage, you would see its refering to the church and saying that women cannot be pastors.

If the Bible was written so long ago, and contains such disgusting morality, why follow it anyway? It's clearly unnecessary and just causes some people to do unreasonable things.

Because not all of it is total bullshit only a fraction of the edited and obscene works. I dont want to go in detail on why I am a Catholic because I do not want to impose or sound like Blue Jay. I rest my case here.

If you would read the whole passage, you would see its refering to the church and saying that women cannot be pastors.

No offense, stay out of this one. You will be eaten alive.

That one always gets me.

here is the whole passage.

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

If the Bible was written so long ago, and contains such disgusting morality, why follow it anyway? It's clearly unnecessary and just causes some people to do unreasonable things.

That "disgusting morality" was not the making of the church; it was just the way things were back then. Times change, gains are made. The Bible was constructed for the people living in that specific time period; the laws were perfectly feasible then. Obviously today that mindset is horrible, so you don't see many people following those rules. And yes, following the bible would be unnecessary for an Atheist.

Mathiäs;6849808 said:
That "disgusting morality" was not the making of the church; it was just the way things were back then. Times change, gains are made. The Bible was constructed for the people living in that specific time period; the laws were perfectly feasible then. Obviously today that mindset is horrible, so you don't see many people following those rules. And yes, following the bible would be unnecessary for an Atheist.

What religion are you?

:lol: How is that any less demeaning?

well you were so torqued about it.

1. it doesnt affect you unless your a church goer anyway.

2. most christians accept that women cannot be pastors because God says that men are to be the spiritual leaders and women do not have that role. Therefore they are fulfilling their role by letting men be the spiritual leaders. how is that demeaning?

Mathiäs;6849851 said:
That is only used in specific sects. In my church women can be priests. We had one for about five years.

Yes, your church is a liberal sect, correct?

my church is more conservative, but i believe the message in timothy was speaking more to the church timothy was at, at the time of the letter.