The great and all powerful religion thread!

here is the whole passage.

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
That still says that a man can rape a woman and pay off her father, instead of being punished. That's only if he's discovered. Otherwise he's fine.

Mathiäs;6849808 said:
That "disgusting morality" was not the making of the church; it was just the way things were back then. Times change, gains are made. The Bible was constructed for the people living in that specific time period; the laws were perfectly feasible then. Obviously today that mindset is horrible, so you don't see many people following those rules. And yes, following the bible would be unnecessary for an Atheist.
So what's the point of the Bible if it is just some dated text? I mentioned that following the Bible is unecessary because obviously people lead happy and moral lives without it and without its nasty consequences.

well you were so torqued about it.

1. it doesnt affect you unless your a church goer anyway.

2. most christians accept that women cannot be pastors because God says that men are to be the spiritual leaders and women do not have that role. Therefore they are fulfilling their role by letting men be the spiritual leaders. how is that demeaning?
Telling someone they can't do something just because they are a woman is demeaning no matter how you rationalize it.

So you can atone for raping a virgin by paying the dad 50 shekels? That doesn't sound very fair.

EDIT: Again, if this book is talking about a different time period, why is it so relevant today? Why do people take moral lessons from it when clearly it has some very bad lessons in it? And if you pick and choose, how do you know which are the right messages to take when this is the source of morality?

It's the word of God. No matter how immoral and horrendous it is, people like Mathias have personally talked to Jesus and they know what Jesus really meant to say so it's actually all good in the long run. Even though they all use Bible quotations and cite it as the infallible word of God to support their points.

It's the word of God. No matter how immoral and horrendous it is, people like Mathias have personally talked to Jesus and they know what Jesus really meant to say so it's actually all good in the long run. Even though they all use Bible quotations and cite it as the infallible word of God to support their points.

Jesus told me that you're going to hell.

In their defense, I would eat him too.

Holy shit, you know what would be awesome? Chocolate crucifixes for Easter.

This is in front of a church about 30 miles north of me:

OHIO-Jesus-1.jpg