The great innovators of Metal

I just like to call them wintermetal since it has a lot of synth with a lot of 3/4 time measures

Synth and 3/4 time measures = a sign of winter.

Ved Buens Ende, didn't really innovate anything from scratch, but took progressive metal to a whole new level. It wasn't like Watchtower, Atheist or Cynic, it had a completely different approach

I'm not sure if we're still mentioning progenitors of metal (Zeppelin, Tull, Rainbow, Deep Purple, etc.). If so, I'd throw in Sir Lord Baltimore.

I think Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol each deserve a mention. They were big innovators as far as taking steps towards creating the whole U.S. power/heavy metal sound.

imo Isis should be on there for evolving post metal

also I think bands that had really unique sounds like Tool deserve to be called innovators just as much as minor firsts like "omg they added a friggin keyboard, that is so out there!" but I'll just get called a fanboy again so lets just say those bands are shit and move on.

Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery (1987)
Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom (1989)

Interesting, never heard of Dream Death and now have a cd to check out.:)

Sempiternal Deathreign formed one year before Paradise Lost(wow). Lost Paradise was recorded in 89.

I forgot about Winter who were also one of the most early Doom/Death bands.

Okay, let me know if the following updates sound good:

Judas Priest
* Created a raw guitar tone and aggressive riffing style which came to characterise power metal, speed metal and thrash metal. (Sad Wings of Destiny, 1976; Sin After Sin, 1977; Stained Class, 1978)

Watchtower
* First progressive metal band. (Energetic Disassembly, 1985)

Dream Theater
* Created a modern, classic rock influence style of progressive metal which set a new standard for the genre and evolved it beyond the power and thrash dominated styles of previous bands. (When Dream and Day Unite, 1989; Images and Words, 1992)

HamburgerBoy, there are a few issues with your nominations that I'd like to discuss:
Legend
* The first epic traditional metal band (From the Fjords, 1979)
What does "epic" mean? What aspect of their style made them "epic"? I could just as easily say that Judas Priest had done "epic" metal before that, though I haven't heard Legend and don't know what sort of epic you're referring to really.

Trouble
* The first band with Christian lyrics. (Demos, 1982; Psalm 9, 1984)
(I'd add something about their crushing thrash-slowed-to-doom tempo riffs and tone as well, but someone else can explain that better than me)
(Maybe something about incorporating stoner/rock into doom as well in 1990 with their S/T)
(This dude's review brings up the point that they were very retro as well)
Firstly, Black Sabbath had "Christian lyrics" on Master of Reality, and secondly that's hardly an innovation in the first place.

Your other points don't seem very solid to me. It doesn't sound as if they created a clear-cut new genre or anything, and I'm not sure we want to be adding bands for such dubious innovations as "thrashier sounding doom" or "doom with stoner elements".

Candlemass
* The first epic doom metal band. (Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, 1986)

Confessor
* The first technical doom metal band, or the first technical groove/thrash band, or both. (Condemned, 1991)
These are understandable enough, though I have to wonder if there's a certain point where creating subgenres, crossover genres, etc. just isn't that innovative. As far as I understand, neither of these bands really broke any ground stylistically - they just made slight adjustments to already well-established styles.

I guess I'd just like to hear a few more people weigh in on whether it's reasonable to include subgenres like these on the list.

I know I haven't addressed everyone's ideas here yet, but other than HamburgerBoy's proposals I haven't seen any concise and well-defined ones, and I'm too busy tonight to research all the facts myself. Those who made proposals, keep discussing them here and try to work out something more concrete, thx.

Atheist-The first band to incorporate jazz into death metal, also the first technical death metal band that used complex riffs, and changed time signatures.

Yeah, Black Sabbath definitely had Christian lyrics in some of their songs prior to Trouble recording anything, so that's definitely wrong.

Oh, and Fates Warning released two albums before Watchtower's debut and those are clearly the first progressive metal albums.

What does "epic" mean? What aspect of their style made them "epic"? I could just as easily say that Judas Priest had done "epic" metal before that, though I haven't heard Legend and don't know what sort of epic you're referring to really.

Viking and fantasy themed lyrics, a couple of lengthy songs in the style that Manilla Road would follow later, quite a bit of galloping, and such. Judas Priest epics like Victim of Changes are more of the Sabbath-derived kind, and are more personal lyrically and bluesy musically. The following is only 3:24, yet still has a more epic/power feel to it than a lot of what came years later.

Firstly, Black Sabbath had "Christian lyrics" on Master of Reality, and secondly that's hardly an innovation in the first place.

Your other points don't seem very solid to me. It doesn't sound as if they created a clear-cut new genre or anything, and I'm not sure we want to be adding bands for such dubious innovations as "thrashier sounding doom" or "doom with stoner elements".

True, although Trouble used it as a main lyrical basis (for a few albums, at least) rather than a one-off.

I'm not to familiar with doom overall, but I think that Trouble had a pretty unique sound at their time. On the debut they could be called a Christian Celtic Frost, before Celtic Frost existed. Doom/thrash, almost.

These are understandable enough, though I have to wonder if there's a certain point where creating subgenres, crossover genres, etc. just isn't that innovative. As far as I understand, neither of these bands really broke any ground stylistically - they just made slight adjustments to already well-established styles.

True. Your original list basically already had most of the bases covered anyways, so I just listed off a few more hybrid-ish bands for the hell of it.

Oh, and Fates Warning released two albums before Watchtower's debut and those are clearly the first progressive metal albums.

If Fates Warning's first two albums are progressive, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and Metallica also had progressive metal releases from the same year or earlier. But of course, they aren't.

EDIT: And since the official Copyright database is just about the best "Who-dun-it-first"-argument settler, it has Watchtower's first album registered in September of '84. Unfortunately it doesn't give a tracklisting, but their 1984 demo should give a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how progressive Night on Brocken is, but The Spectre Within definitely fits that bill. I'd include The Warning in there too, but not any IM or Metallica.

Queensryche I agree with, but even still it's a different type of progressive. It's more artsy and the use of a conductor on a few songs makes it stand out in one way, while Energetic Disassembly being bare but technical gives it an entirely different prog styling. It's like Dream Theater vs Meshuggah. They should both be given credit.

Where's the prog in The Spectre Within, though? The songs show much more care in song-writing than most other traditional/speed/power at the time, but it's still just really well written traditional/speed/power. I don't see what sets it apart from Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Master of Puppets (recordings of this exist from 1985), The Call of Ktulu, Good Mourning/Black Friday (also existed in 1985), and such.

I'm not sure if other bands have done these things before but if not a couple of innovative bands are:

A New dawn - Gothic/Progressive metal with two female lead singers and a growler which leads to some great vocal harmonies;

Korpiklaani - mixing Finnish folk with metal.