The great innovators of Metal

kind of depends how you define power metal. stuff like heavy load, manilla road, omen, jag panzer, manowar can be called early power metal as far as i'm concerned

Yeah, I said this earlier. Manilla Road definitely qualify as innovators for the U.S. power metal scene.

Helloween are innovators of the Euro-power sound, but that also draws from U.S.

Both of these.

i'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate In The Woods... into this list. when it comes to great innovators of metal this band must be mentioned

I love Carcass but is it really that innovative to invent goregrind? Correct me if I'm wrong (good possibility since I don't research grind and -core and stuff) - but isn't that just adding gore lyrics and art to the already existent grindcore.

Plz though: Isis - evolved the sounds pioneered by Neurosis into what is now modern post metal

Goregrind is stylistically different too. It combines grindcore with death metal, low-tuned sludgy riffs, mainly low/pitch-shifted vocals, etc.

Ah, see I thought that was just Carcass combining a couple of genres - considering I don't listen to any other goregrind, I wouldn't know if the whole genre's like that.

Ahhh, Blue Cheer! When I made that post about Sir Lord Baltimore I was thinking "there's another band I want to mention, who were really heavy, but why the fuck can't I think of their name? Blue something..."

Blue fucking Cheer, most definitely, as progenitors of metal.

Drumming-wise, maybe. Apart from that, they seem more or less like a dumbed-down version of Hendrix.

Hey guys, I need your help

I am taking a college course in the history of rock (history of metal was unavailable ), and I have the choice of making a list of artists and groups that best represent the style and movement of the 90's, but more importantly these bands need to have influenced their succeeding artists, groups, styles etc

Obviously this isn't a rock forum, BUT I'd like to take a different approach to this assignment by listing influential metal artists that shaped modern rock in the 90's

One example would be Meshuggah, as they have influenced rock acts like Tool and Mastodon with their odd time signatures.

Since I also need to include a name of a song of the artist, it would be great if you could mention a particularly influential one from the band

Hey guys, I need your help

I am taking a college course in the history of rock (history of metal was unavailable ), and I have the choice of making a list of artists and groups that best represent the style and movement of the 90's, but more importantly these bands need to have influenced their succeeding artists, groups, styles etc

Obviously this isn't a rock forum, BUT I'd like to take a different approach to this assignment by listing influential metal artists that shaped modern rock in the 90's

One example would be Meshuggah, as they have influenced rock acts like Tool and Mastodon with their odd time signatures.

Since I also need to include a name of a song of the artist, it would be great if you could mention a particularly influential one from the band

This may be obvious, but Faith No More and Mr. Bungle need credit for influencing alternative *, and probably a good portion of nu metal bands as well. I've seen Helmet's Meantime cited as a major influence to nu metal as well.

Pantera. Cowboys From Hell for the song, or maybe Walk. They had a big influence on the groove metal stuff and ultimately I think on nu metal (which is rock).

I've heard that indie hipsters are getting into Burzum. You could look into that.

Dunno what else. Metal was pretty underground in the 90s. 90s was the extreme metal explosion, where death metal and black metal really grew and became what they are today; while Morbid Angel and Death have incredible influence on extreme metal, they probably have virtually none on rock.

In case this counts, metalcore was basically created by At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.

Chuck Schuldiner was kind of late to the party and Death isn't quite as innovative as some people believe. There's far more glaring omissions.

87 isn't late.....a tad early even. lol It's looking back actually that makes them a must. Extreme metal would not have evolved the way it did had Death not been progressive. Atheist was not, it was a single idea, same with MA Cynic.....etc etc.

I think Death Made it easier to appreciate Death Metal..But Death to me are like Progressive Thrash.

Basically any band with there own sound is an Innovator.

Mercyful Fate is def a biggie.
Iron Maiden - Created the Epic Song Style I'm pretty sure...All Power Metal bands use this as a staple today..Always include that long epic song.
Beatles - Created Rock with Helter Skelter I believe, but in interviews Paul said he wrote HS cuz he heard The Who write a really raw song and wanted one of his own. Helter Skelter Was crazy influential..Listen to the song structure...That is fucking Metal.

Zeppelin and Sabbath took the sound further...Sabbath Def Created Metal...1969 and they release Black Sabbath. Crazy

Dream Theater brought Prog Rock and Metal and basically created Progressive Metal..What band did it before them? I can't think of any...Maybe Queensryche?

The Who - Tommy
Pink Floyds - The Wall
Both were genre defining concept albums.

The Big Four of thrash...I don't care who created the genre. Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth brought it to everyones attention.

Savatage with Power Metal? Idn who created Power Metal...I know Maiden had a big influence and Helloween made it cool.

I don't really know anything about the history of Black Metal..No nothing really about Bathory or Venom.

Iron Maiden - Created the Epic Song Style I'm pretty sure...All Power Metal bands use this as a staple today..Always include that long epic song.

Dream Theater brought Prog Rock and Metal and basically created Progressive Metal..What band did it before them? I can't think of any...Maybe Queensryche?

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes no sense, since your explanation for why those bands are innovators relies on your claims that they created their respective musical styles, which is clearly false.