the hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that wasn't an insult at all

listening to some miles davis right now, awesome!

Got it.

I'm no expert, but Miles really is my favorite jazz musician, I think. He's got the master's touch.

Had a good time time driving to Miles Smiles a few days ago. Reminded me of grind a little bit. Very "aggressive", propulsive drumming that I totally thought I had pegged as Jack DeJohnette but ended up being Tony Williams.

yea I am starting to see where brann dailor of mastodon got his drumming style from

definite jazz influence there

(I'm watching/listening to this channel on my TV that just plays jazz nonstop, a sirius radio channel)

I think jazz is best done with a rock influence, ala Steely Dan or Camel. I generally dislike jazz, but those are two of my favorite rock bands.

hey dee tell me some jazz artists that use vocals

Whew - that's a whole 'nother ball game. Much more on the "corny" side - harder for you (we?) young headbangers to get into. Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Louis Armstrong, em, Manhattan Transfer...? :erk:

I'd stick with instrumentals for crossover purposes.

That said, the version of "Salt Peanuts" on The Quintet - Jazz At Massey Hall is perhaps my favorite vocal ever. The Quintet is astounding in its own right: check out this lineup: Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Max Roach, Charlie Mingus. The vocal is, I guess, Dizzy, and it's rough as fuck. Swamp blues. Punk rock.

yea I am starting to see where brann dailor of mastodon got his drumming style from

definite jazz influence there

Heh. This is the second review I ever wrote (for Albuquerque's Wig Wam Bam):

HIGH ON FIRE, MASTODON
6/11/02 Launchpad

Mastodon’s drummer and guitarist are the same two guys that backed up Steve Austin on Today Is The Day’s In The Eyes Of God album. I was listening to that on the way to the Pad and getting a little worked up, because, man can that guy play drums! And Mastodon did not disappoint. They really captured the small crowd from their first notes, and finished every song to rapturous and heartfelt applause. Each player was excellent, and the music was very, er, musical, while still extremely hard-hitting and tough and all that shit. Now, in the grand scheme of things, they are definitely a metal band, and it could sound like I’m describing, say, a NWOSDM (New Wave Of Swedish Death Metal, of course) band, but not even close. Mastodon are on Relapse, and share that notoriously hard to pinpoint sound (often described as a mix of metal, hardcore, and grind) whose most prominent exponent is modern Neurosis. Mastodon, though, is slightly warmer and richer, and lacks Neurosis’s harsh, buzzkill edge. Not that they’re commercial or anything, but a smidge more accessible. Also, more expansive and, dare I say, jazzy. Especially the drumming. Damn! That guy is good. I don’t think he ever played a normal 1-2-3-4 part; he was always all over the place, just accenting and off-beating (thus the jazz thing).

I missed the first half of High On Fire’s set, due to the oft-cited “prior commitment.” They played a much more straightforward stoner rock. They have a strong following, and played hard and well. Heads were bobbing all around (no, not headbanging, Smirky). They were a really fun band to watch, but Mastodon stole the show that night. Fans of innovative heavy music and killer drums, check out Mastodon!

Dee Snarl

My clock radio is fucked up, so it won't switch to "buzzer", meaning I have no choice but to wake up to the radio. It was nice at first, because I had it set to a pretty decent classic rock station. However, a couple of monthes ago, the station suddenly and without warning switched formarts and became a smooth jazz stations.

Do you have any idea how fucking hard it is to wake up to smooth jazz?

Status
Not open for further replies.