The 'I love ProTools' thread

so, how bad is the midi part of PT 8 really?

basically, i'm never programming stuff in the piano roll from scratch.
instead, i'll very often export midi data from guitar pro (as i write all my songs in that programm) and import that into reaper...most of the time it's either drums or additional synth stuff.
with drums i have a set template for SSD 3.0, with synths there's obviously just the sampler on a midi track thats it.
after importing, there are only a few tweaks to do, like changing some of the rides from "ride edge" to "ride tip" or sth, adding cymbal chokes, playing with velocities/humanization.

that's pretty much all i'm doing as far as midi is concerned.

my question is: would this work equally well in PT 8?

er... how bad is it?? give me a break... you've been fed some hogwash my friend. PT8 midi is fantastic, and you will VERY easily be able to do what you outline above.

great, thanks! :)

thing is, i haven't had the chance to work with any version of PT intensely enough to check out it's midi capabilities, but i kept hearing that they are sub-par - great to hear that it's not the case.

Pretty much what Murphy said. I was really skeptical about PT's MIDI capabilities before I made the leap from Cubase, and granted I started with 8 and had never used earlier versions before that, but now I really can't see what the fuss is about. It works at least as well as in Cubase in my case. Sure I, too, would like to have the drum map feature, but I'd only need it for my own songs and very rarely for the stuff I actually work with.

you are just plain wrong about that one, period, full stop.

PT midi, since 7.4, is excellent, and with PT8 it's on a par with every other midi package currently available, save for (and very debatably) the lack of of a dedicated drum map editor. and i've been using midi since 1986, and on every well known editor available for Mac, and quite a few on PC.

sounds to me like you haven't learned any midi features of PT midi since 6.x

and again.. i'd love to hear about... in fact i challenge anyone to present... a single thing regarding midi in any other DAW, other than the above mentioned midi drum map omission... that is not implemented in PT today. i don't believe there's anything of significance that can be pointed out at all, but i'd love to be proven wrong... because it'll mean i'll learn about something i don't currently do.. and that's always a good thing.

Logic's hyper-editor is something that is unrivaled in all the other hosts.

ok, you've made a cliam... now support it. what does the hyper-editor do that's so great, and different than PT's midi implementation?

Well, i will try....but I didn't used PT8, just 7.4 a little bit....But let's see... Can PT create automaticaly VST output busses for virtual instruments??? Can i drag and drop MIDI regions and place into another??? can i have MIDI items in shape of triangles or diamonds??? Could I randomize velocities from wich notes i want between any values i choose?? There's a "groove quantize" or something like that??? Can I apply this "groove quantize" in selected notes??? There's not a drum map or something like that...Can i even change the order of keys??

Thaks

I´m using nuendo 4 for midi edition on drums, maybe tracking some DIs and then PT for everything else, and luckily I can mix in HD. I gotta say, I love PT but I laugh to a friend of mine when says Cubendo sounds boxy. I think It's really the workflow and what I know best for me so I can take advantage of every DAW.

On the other side, they sound different when mixing the same tracks but it has to be the different soundcards used when bouncing/exporting, it has been discussed before but finally there was no clear response about, and it's something I'd like someone to confirm.

Sincerelly, MIDI is MIDI....MIDI editors have pretty much the same features actually. It's only an habit matter because I didn't find any difficult with MIDI using every DAW I used (Sonar, Cubase, Logic, PT). Every Daw has its features, different dispositions, but they do the same thing actually

Sincerelly, MIDI is MIDI....MIDI editors have pretty much the same features actually. It's only an habit matter because I didn't find any difficult with MIDI using every DAW I used (Sonar, Cubase, Logic, PT). Every Daw has its features, different dispositions, but they do the same thing actually

True, it's just that some DAWs do it more effeciently than others.

I already mentioned this in this thread James. You should go try it out, you can't really claim PTs MIDI is better or even on par with any DAWs if you don't even know what features those DAWs are offering or how they work... :p
i can claim anything i want, and considering i have used them all within recent years, i can pretty well back it up seeing as how most "new midi features" are generally nothing more than "repackagings", of 30 yr old midi functionality into groups, or "meta-functionality", and they are ALL doing this, with every upgrade, irrespectve of what fancy name they call it this year... but i'll point out that i made ZERO claim that PT was the best midi package, merely that in my experience it wasn't lacking in any significant way compared to the other major packages available..... and i intend to answer dd's questions when i get home... i'm at my father's for Turkey Day right now.

Well, i will try....but I didn't used PT8, just 7.4 a little bit....But let's see... Can PT create automaticaly VST output busses for virtual instruments??? Can i drag and drop MIDI regions and place into another??? can i have MIDI items in shape of triangles or diamonds??? Could I randomize velocities from wich notes i want between any values i choose?? There's a "groove quantize" or something like that??? Can I apply this "groove quantize" in selected notes??? There's not a drum map or something like that...Can i even change the order of keys??

Thaks

Dude, this is the prove you didn't even try PT.
The only thing lacking is the drum map.

and i still believe it, because other than whinging about drum maps, no one's offered anything to the contrary. i was also very clear that this statement was "in my estimation", and that i felt it had leapt ahead of most, not all. had i said "all", you have have had a point. as it happens, you do not... saying something IS the best, is an effort to state fact, not opinion, and opinion was how i framed my words... a claim of "the best" would also, by it's nature, infer that a thing was better than "all" it's competition. i said "most"... and i stand by that.

that statement was, and is, my opinion based on the last several years of my own experience.. and NOT an argument i've advanced without possibility of concession as this "debate" has developed... so again, i stand by that statement, and once again ask you to offer some some solid examples of what specific functionality you are referring to you when you disagree with my statement.

spend your time finding solid examples, other than drum maps (for which i still maintain there is no need, only a preference... and not one held by everyone), rather than on culling through my old posts for "gotcha's", and you may stand a much better chance of convincing me i'm wrong.

i'll happily admit it if you can offer any other specific functionality that's not contained within, and easily achieved via, PT's midi functionality.

i'm still waiting.

Can PT create automaticaly VST output busses for virtual instruments???
well it's RTAS in PT, but yes, it can and does.

Can i drag and drop MIDI regions and place into another???
yes, you can drag midi from anywhere you can grab it, even outside of the program, and drop it into anywhere that can hold midi, i.e., the region bin, midi tracks, and instrument tracks.

can i have MIDI items in shape of triangles or diamonds???
not that i'm aware, but since those shapes would only work for "one-shot" samples, like drums, they could only be used for those things... and not, say, for piano... because diamonds, etc. cannot represent duration. so, such a graphics feature would have limited functionality... but i wouldn't object to it being added.

Could I randomize velocities from wich notes i want between any values i choose??
yep

There's a "groove quantize" or something like that???
yes, there certainly is.

Can I apply this "groove quantize" in selected notes???
yep

...Can i even change the order of keys??
don't understand what you mean by that one... you mean the key bindings for the keyboard shortcuts? no.... and that's intentional... it's so that an engineer can walk into any studio with PT across the world and get straight to work, enjoying the comfortable familiarity of the key commands.

He means the order of the keys on the keyboard in the piano roll, to allow a user to set up which key triggers what samples in a way that is logical and efficient for them based on that particular track.

James, people use the midi editor for tons of stuff that is not related to pitch, so it only makes sense to be able to relabel the keys so that they refer to their actual use for that track. If you do tons of electronic work and have a ton of sample instruments triggering sound effects and stuff that are different in every session, then having to figure out where everything is on an unlabelled piano roll every time you start working on a different track is definitely inefficient and counter productive to workflow.

Search YouTube for some videos on Logic's hyper editor, I'd try and find one but it's a bit of a pain doing it from my cellphone. It is by far the fastest interface I've ever seen for inputting note and velocity information at the same time without having to move your mouse to a different window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Ostarig View Post
...Can i even change the order of keys??
don't understand what you mean by that one... you mean the key bindings for the keyboard shortcuts? no.... and that's intentional... it's so that an engineer can walk into any studio with PT across the world and get straight to work, enjoying the comfortable familiarity of the key commands.

he means reordering keys in the piano roll. Drum mapping is the most common use of that.
No that function is not in PT.

You can transpose by octave or semi tone and more in realtime, quantize MIDI input in realtime, snap every note input to the key of the song. Realtime properties for the track or regions is a wonderful thing. Very similar to the MIDI Transform ( I think it's called) plugin in Cubase.

Watch this: Pro Tools 8 MIDI Explained Stop bickering.

What do you mean different window?
There's lanes below the track or MIDI editor for all automation, velocity is shown by default.

Logic is still faster, look into the hyper editor please. It is just the piano roll, no separate velocity lane underneath. The heights of the notes on the piano roll itself represent the velocity. So click to add note, drag up or down to set velocty without letting go of mouse button and then when you have it where you want, let go and move to next note. You can set the note and velocity to whatever you want in one click, effectively cutting midi editing time in half. You can do tons of other stuff in the hyper editor as well, everythin is assignable to whatever you want.

Kaomao, as i said, a just tryied to do some joke with the PT midi, but i like it.... when i had opportunity to try PT workflow i barely touched midi....i asked to kill the curiosity too...hehe
Thanks James ... the only bad thing that i see is to not be able to change keys in piano roll (as Adam said)...but i'll try PT MIDI again changing the map on the virtual instrument interface... i think to memorize the keys isn't that bad...