Hellkult (pre Wyrd - Azaghal members)
Satanic Warmaster
Behexen
Sargeist
Rites of thy Degringolade
Sigh
Sabbat (Jap)

Cynical said:
Oh, and Mjolnir blows. Sorry, it's true.
Whatever. There's no accounting for taste. I personally like their melodies, riffing style, and atomsphere. It's not minimalistic and doesn't sound like Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger, but that doesn't mean that it's bad black metal.

You are not kvlt enough without having listened to the following bands (I tried to pick bands that haven't been mentioned). Yeah, I admit I am bored... I am stuck in an office in Munich, but soon getting to taste the German beer and then taking a train home. :)

Profanum * (brilliant black+classical+ambient)
Triumphator *
Dryados
Octinomos *
Belphegor
Psilocybe Larvae
Woods of Infinity
Parnassus *
Depresy *
Belmez
Olc Sinnsir
Nehemah *
Gotmoor *
Curse
Oath of Cirion
Mundzuk
Diabolicum
Izakaron
Empaligon * (if you like early Beherit)
Nocternity
Azarath
Stutthof
Mezzerchmitt
Eikenskaden *
Shining
Lutomysl
Vinterriket * (vile black metal+ambient)
Malignance
Latrodectus
Nyktalgia
Goliard
Seth
Krohm
Godless North
Crystalium *
Black Candle
Lucifugum
Thee Maldoror Kollective * (industrial+ebm+black)
Raven Dark
Arafel
Gaahlskagg
Infer (brutal as fuck black metal)

* - rules immensely

Rocking fuckin topic.

Gontyna Kry, bitches. Welowie is such a great (albeit short) folk-ish "MELODIC" black metal release. I say melodic because it's that kind of interestingly fucked-up disjointed black metal kind of melody. The vocals sound like they were recorded through 5 layers of thick steel; very detached, processed, possibly reminding of Drawing Down The Moon in their fucked up harsh whisper weirdness but much more abrupt and crazy.

Silexater is also quite great. Despite having possibly a MAXIMUM of 9 songs under his belt, this one-man German band who's the brother of the Malicious Records owner churned out a demo and an EP's worth of great jarringly atonal black metal. Listen to the fuckin title track of the Mad Sorcer demo. More of that great weirdly melodic leadwork BM loves to give us these days.

Stiny Plamenu is yet ANOTHER good, solid, melodic (again, in the non-retarded use of the term) black metal band. Another one man band, interesting string-bending riffs from Lord Morbivod churn relatively convincingly over great (I think?) drum-programmed rhythms with the typical hateful black metal screech.

Maniac Butcher is an INTENSELY underrated, underappreciated, and overlooked Czechian black metal band who'd been around for nearly a fucking eon until they split up a while back. However, they have about 5 great albums under their bullet belts. Fierce, hateful, stereotypical black metal in the slightly-old-school-German feel with a bit of their own country's inflections on melody and production aspects. Not incredible or groundbreaking but consistent and engaging nonetheless. And yes their album covers may seem jokey and STUPID (hell, they really do blow), but don't let that stop you from experiencing them.

Amduscias were a really underground Japanese black metal band (probably one of the only good JapBM bands ever to exist!) Yet MORE (MORE!) fucked up creepy melody, except in the more prominent Necrophobic vein (*watches as people pee their pants*) than some techniques employed by recent black metal melody-infused bands.

Marblebog, too! Semi-recent droning black metal with interesting ambient parts and cool folk melodies which I'm guessing are Hungarian in descent (based on the guy's location). The demos reek of slower Burzum (a good thing) complete with greatly executed tortured screams emanating from seemingly nowhere, but the real gem is the newest album (this year's best BM release so far, IMO) Forestheart (discounting the apparently ambient Wind Of Moors that I sadly haven't checked out yet). Very very good drawn out, droning black metal with appropriately hateful vocals and great folky melodies. And the last track is practically a 13-minute folk/ambient/drone song, which warrants a listen to the album for that alone.

Finally, Negurã Bunget. Man they rule. Weird weird weird is the name of the game, and 'n Crugu Bradului does better than their other releases at showing off this band's unique sound. Epic, melodic (I'VE GONE OVER THE LIMIT! *dives off building*), utterly fucked up songwriting. Somehow seems intensely minimalistic but at the same time is really really complex (THE DRUMMING OH LORD THE DRUMMING! SO BUSY AND NON-BM OH GOD!).

Okay! I'm done now. Gotta wait until tomorrow to get back my cache of "times I can use the word melodic to describe a genre where melody isn't really the most important thing."

Naggamanteh said:
You are not kvlt enough without having listened to the following bands (I tried to pick bands that haven't been mentioned). Yeah, I admit I am bored... I am stuck in an office in Munich, but soon getting to taste the German beer and then taking a train home. :)

Profanum * (brilliant black+classical+ambient)
Triumphator *
Dryados
Octinomos *
Belphegor
Psilocybe Larvae
Woods of Infinity
Parnassus *
Depresy *
Belmez
Olc Sinnsir
Nehemah *
Gotmoor *
Curse
Oath of Cirion
Mundzuk
Diabolicum
Izakaron
Empaligon * (if you like early Beherit)
Nocternity
Azarath
Stutthof
Mezzerchmitt
Eikenskaden *
Shining
Lutomysl
Vinterriket * (vile black metal+ambient)
Malignance
Latrodectus
Nyktalgia
Goliard
Seth
Krohm
Godless North
Crystalium *
Black Candle
Lucifugum
Thee Maldoror Kollective * (industrial+ebm+black)
Raven Dark
Arafel
Gaahlskagg
Infer (brutal as fuck black metal)

* - rules immensely
Wow, that many bands and only one is good (Triumphator)

Dryados are pretty awesome.

Also:

Averse Sefira
Nocte Obducta
Keep of Kalessin
Holy Blood
Hate Forest
Mind Eclipse
Slectvalk

Those are the only obscure ones I can contribute.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Holy Blood
Slectvalk

Um, both of those are Christian black metal bands. Not that I have problems with those types of bands, but they're not really grim or "kvlt". More like the opposite, since they have synths and female choir in some songs.