the love thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Doom games are classics. I played the original Doom so much it isn't even funny. Doom 3 was also quite good but it lacked some things I think. It was not really as disturbing as the original games were in terms of imagery. Still a fun game though.

Neurotica, watch this video. It'll make you feel better maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kidding? F.E.A.R. was so quite tame. I had very high hopes for that game based on the initial trailers but it was a complete let down all the way. It looked mediocre, it ran poorly and it wasn't very scary at all. About the only parts where I was really creeped out for any amount of time was towards the end where you get the bits with the weird ghosts chasing you in your visions. That was creepy.

That's not to say that Doom 3 was really all that scary either or anything. But I do think it was scarier than F.E.A.R. atleast. The level design and general atmosphere in it was just a lot more intense.

But in a scary game contest for me the winners would be System Shock 2 (at the time, if you play it now it just looks kind of silly) and the Silent Hill series, particularly Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill goes far beyond any other game I've ever played in terms of instilling sheer unrelenting terror in you. Amazing games (aside from SH4 which was a let-down).

F.E.A.R. is no comparison at all to the silent hill series, but I still thought it was relentlessly intense, every second I played the game I was just terrified what was going to happen and the cut scenes were beautiful executed

also helps that I played it at night on a big screen TV with all the lights of and nobody around me

That is how I play too except behind my PC and with headphones. For atmospheric games that is the only way to play really. I think people who play games like Silent Hill any other way are kind of missing the whole point of those games. I mean sure you could play them in broad daylight with music playing in the background and the sound turned down low but that is kind of like going on a rollercoaster and then only having it go at 5 miles per hour.

You're supposed to let those games scare the living hell out of you (or atleast give them the chance to try) otherwise why bother playing them in the first place.

That is how I play too except behind my PC and with headphones. For atmospheric games that is the only way to play really. I think people who play games like Silent Hill any other way are kind of missing the whole point of those games. I mean sure you could play them in broad daylight with music playing in the background and the sound turned down low but that is kind of like going on a rollercoaster and then only having it go at 5 miles per hour.

You're supposed to let those games scare the living hell out of you (or atleast give them the chance to try) otherwise why bother playing them in the first place.

these games are unbelievably intense though, few people can handle that sort of intensity

Neurotica, watch this video. It'll make you feel better maybe.

Ehh, thanks. I was acting pretty much the same while playing it :erk:

Have you guys played Suffering? I've heard it's pretty scary too.

I played most of Silent Hill 2 at night by myself and at some point I had been playing for a few hours and by the time it was 3 AM or so I got to the hospital area (the 'nurses', oh god...) and I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown and I literally just had to stop and couldn't continue playing anymore. I had to pick it up again the next day.

That is probably the most intense gaming experience I've ever had and also the reason why I hold the Silent Hill series in such high regard. Those games are just engineered to perfection with one single goal: to fuck with your mind. And they do it so well. They're the kind of games where when you've completed them you'll still be thinking about them a few days later.

Manhunt was pretty good at startling me from time to time. Generally, you could tell what was coming, but every once in while someone would get the drop on you, and that shit was scary.

That game started to get to me after a while and I had to take a long hiatus from it.

Ehh, thanks. I was acting pretty much the same while playing it :erk:

Have you guys played Suffering? I've heard it's pretty scary too.

My friend bought that and I got motion sickness just from watching him play it. Seriously I was so dizzy I felt like I was going to puke... never had that happen with a game like that before.

Whatever happened to expecting things to happen? Clear hallway with no activity for a moment.. of COURSE something will pop up. It's kind of a given, isn't it?

I'm playing doom3 these days myself incidentally, and I'm not THAT scared. Scared but not screaming or talking to myself. Perhaps because I'm playing the second difficulty level.. but anyway, you get used to the possibilities after you're around alpha 3 or enpro plant.

Yeah that was how it worked for me as well. The initial levels of Doom 3 were very intense. From the point where it starts going wrong and you run around and stuff is happening everywhere and people are screaming through your radio. But after a while that dies down and you get used to the routine and it becomes less scary. It still remained a tense game until the end, but I wouldn't really say it was scary and certainly less scary than I had hoped it to be (again the trailers got my hopes up a little too much).

I would have liked more disturbing things to happen in it and more psychological horror bits, like that part where a voice whispers "Help me..." from a dark elevator shaft or where you hear someone whisper "Follow me..." in your ear and a trail of bloody footsteps starts to appear. Those things were often more creepy than the actual monsters and they could have put more stuff like that in it.

Call of Cthulhu-Dark Corners of the Earth was kind of creepy in the way you described. Your character would mumble to himself about going insane after being exposed to some shocking scene or revelation and if you're extremely low on sanity your mind sends you back to the asylum and you have to navigate the halls in order to get back to reality. A nice game. I should finish it some time.

Well, Call of Chtulhu is a quite an original adventure/shooter hybrid in the vein of Alone in the Dark. You should give it a try if you like the latter series.

I am a huge Lovecraft fan obviously but I found CoC disappointing. The concepts and ideas behind it were nice but poorly executed in general. When you see how the game looks and feels it's hard to believe they spent more than 6 years creating it.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a game that pulled off the going insane thing a lot better and is generally just an awesome and also very Lovecraftian game (eventhough it is not directly based on the Cthulhu mythos itself, you can clearly tell it was influenced by Lovecraft's writings a huge amount with concepts such as elder Gods controlling the universe and the effects of sanity or lack thereof on the main character).

Status
Not open for further replies.