The Mars Volta...

MY GOD I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BAND BEFORE IN MY LIFE DESPITE THEIR VIDEO BEING ALL OVER MTV THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THEM TO MY ATTENTION.

plus, if it is as I suspect, then the video you see on MTV is "The Widow", which happens to be the only track on Frances the Mute that I occasionally skip, because it's just not nearly as good as any of the other songs. So, if you don't like "The Widow", give the other songs a chance

de-loused is a great album, but frances is a bit more out of focus than the first album, although it does have its great moments.

read this http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2825 , don't take it too seriously, but it is right on a few points

also, a friend indicated that the idea for the cover may be 'borrowed' from this painting by magritte :
magritte5.jpg

OpethGuitarist said:
Deloused is great. Francis was a horrible attempt in experimentation. This is not Opeth, so close the fucking thread.

i do disagree with your statement. but for the sake of argument...name some GOOD attempts in experimentation...im curious to see what you had in mind.

I've heard both of their albums, they both suck, the band sucks, and the vocalist sounds like a girl.

Thread closed.

Kong- Phlegm
Spastic Ink- Ink Compatable

Kong is really great.. if theres a bad to check out here that is the band
becuase Rob Jarzombek is duly unappreciated

Deloused is a much better album than Frances, much more focus in the music.

prowlergrig said:
de-loused is a great album, but frances is a bit more out of focus than the first album, although it does have its great moments.

read this http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2825 , don't take it too seriously, but it is right on a few points

also, a friend indicated that the idea for the cover may be 'borrowed' from this painting by magritte :
magritte5.jpg

Haha, Dr. Thorpe is awesome. I love all his articles.

R0l0 said:
I've noticed from lurking around on some forums recently that many people are obsessing over them, as if they're the best thing that happend to music or something. Not talking about the Anathema guy, but the "mainstreamers" who just had their first exposure to progressive music through them, thinking they're the first and only band to do such things.
Don't get me wrong I think they're great, just not the best band ever :)

These are pretty much my thoughts, except that I don't like them much. I really can't stand that guys voice, and I think as far as writing a musicaly cohesive song, that they are way too disjointed to do such a thing.