The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

I've got two recent Laibach albums. Wat and Volk. Very good stuff I must say. The twisted nationalistic songs on Volk are impressive!

Well, I did say "follow up" and I didn't like Solens Rötter very much, so for me Jordpuls was met with very few expectations and was a pleasant surprise!

The new Amorphis is a grower, there are some really good songs on it, but it's just not as good as Skyforger was. I know they're trying to make a break with those records, and you know how it goes. But yeah, one wonders if maybe their busy schedule (they've had two releases since Skyforger) hasn't caused a downfall in quality.

Djöfull;9769798 said:
French and danish are clearly not metal languages as they are soft! Bring me the harsh tone of finnish and german and I'll consider the band. Hehe.

Harsh tones... A little mort macabre... OK...

F. ex.
"Forever Failure" and "The Painless" translated into French by Misanthrope and Stille Volk
Both come from the album "As We Die For... Paradise Lost" V/A :devil:

Well, I did say "follow up" and I didn't like Solens Rötter very much, so for me Jordpuls was met with very few expectations and was a pleasant surprise!

The new Amorphis is a grower, there are some really good songs on it, but it's just not as good as Skyforger was. I know they're trying to make a break with those records, and you know how it goes. But yeah, one wonders if maybe their busy schedule (they've had two releases since Skyforger) hasn't caused a downfall in quality.

I guess "a grower" is better than "Oh this is a piece of crap" huh? But still, unlike when Sampo (a song which I am still totally into) came out, I found the new song incredibly boring; I really didn't want to listen to it more than twice. I know it's one song, but it really lowers my expectations for the album.

This year has been disappointing with some bands. Moonsorrow's is boring and too damn forced, far less epic than previous albums. Falkenbach's shamelessly rip-offing himself, with boring tunes. Ulver (!!!)... it's the first time that I listen to an Ulver album and found it too damn bad and boring that I don't want to listen it again - still I did it and it hasn't grow on me after several spins; Deicide's could have been so much better; Amon Amarth released again the same album as the last 3 or 4 ones, Kampfar's Mare is subpar to their standards...

but not all is lost. Vintersorg and Burzum released top quality material so far. Demonaz' debut is fairly good too, very Bathory-esque with the trademark Immortal riffage - his vocals are really like Abbath's..

About the german.... Empyrium's Weiland is sung in german and one of the best albums ever released for a metal band - despite not being metal at all.

just look at that sentence. Don't you get it? maybe it's not what you meant and you had an entire context in your head, but you didn't elaborate and i didn't bother to listen to the song it actually was written about.
Would you understand better if i'd say "Jordpuls is crap because it's sung in Swedish"? I'm not nearly as offended by your comment as you probably would have been if somebody said that. I'm not even german and don't have any german friends either.

Yes I understand what you're trying to say. But I still don't get why I cannot think that it is crap. I don't care what the band is trying to say with the song and I don't care about their lyrics at all. The fact remains; I listened to the song (which had okay music - nothing more) and I HAD to turn it off once I heard the vocals, because the german language sounds like crap to me when sung. Does that make me narrow-minded or silly? Hell no.

Let me give you an example:
There's plenty of people in Sweden that are deep into metal and does not listen to Vintersorg. The main fact behind this is that to them, they think that the Swedish language sounds like utter crap in metal music. Although I most definitly do not agree with them, they are most permitted to have that opinion and I understand why they have that opinion as well. And they are not narrow-minded or silly because they don't like this particular language in music. Get it?

I did forget to say that Rammstein (and the more industrial kind of music) are an exception to this rule. Because in that kind of music, the german language fits the music extremely well - at least according to my ears. It can also fit with pop and synth music. Does it fit soft, acoustic folk music? Hell no - at least not to my ears.

German (to me) is a harsh sounding language and therefore fits harsh and harder sounding music better than it does softer. And once again, all this is according to my ears. But I know that there are plenty that agrees with me. Perhaps these are the scandinavians that you so eloquently generalize?

I should also add that I think the very same about the Finnish language. I think that the Finnish language in most music styles (but especially folk music and folk metal) sounds like utter crap. I don't know why my ears and brain feels like this but perhaps it is also due to the fact that it (along with German) is a way more harsh sounding language than Swedish, Norweigian, Dutch and English?

Jealous because germans happen to have a very rich folk scene competing with scandinavian which might be offending to the scandinavians, i dunno really. I am sorry to generalize again, i have been scorned for doing that by AMG already, but i just can't help but wonder why is it that scandinavians so often dislike german sung music and even ridicule germans for (trying to) sing in old norse (i know that *you* didn't do the latter). It just seems strange to me and as i have encountered this phenomenon quite often i cannot help but wonder. And Agah agreed with you right there, too.

Oh. My. God.
Where to start?
1. I myself am in no way in any kind of "folk scene"
2. If I would be in some sort of Swedish "folk scene" - would I care about the German? Maybe, but more likely - I wouldn't care at all.
3. Is the German "folk scene" actually competing with the Swedish one? Or any other nationality in the "folk scene" for that matter? I highly doubt that folk musicians compete across the borders. I actually think that most people in the scene doesen't care about competing - wheter they like the language in the music or not.

But you've already concluded yourself that you're generalizing A LOT so I wont bother commenting anymore on that. If the actual topic is that you "just can't help but wonder why is it that scandinavians so often dislike german sung music" then it has nothing to do with being jealous - right? It is something you are curious about and it has nothing to do with jealousy.

And yes, Agah agreed with me and he is Norweigan. So what? I highly doubt that disliking the German language in music is something that the 5 Scandinavian countries have in common. I am pretty damn sure there's a ton of people living right in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Colombia, Brazil, Japan, America and the goddamn Vatican State that also dislike the German language in music.

I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record regarding the topic - but I don't want there to be any more misunderstandings.

Silly and narrow minded, because you didn't elaborate and i could make my own conclusions. Sorry i forgot to add "I didn't mean to offend anyone". It really sounds like you are not able to appreciate some truly great music only because it is sung in german. If this is true then i think it's sad. Like i think it's sad that some people are not able to appreciate Vintersorg albums/tracks sung in swedish.

Now that I've elaborated on this topic - am I still silly and narrow minded? Or was it perhaps your assumptions and generalizations that were silly and narrow minded?
I truly am sorry if this came across a bit too harsh, but your statement (of me being jealous, narrow minded and silly) was taken out of completely thin air and actually made me quite irritated.

This year has been disappointing with some bands. Moonsorrow's is boring and too damn forced, far less epic than previous albums. Falkenbach's shamelessly rip-offing himself, with boring tunes. Ulver (!!!)... it's the first time that I listen to an Ulver album and found it too damn bad and boring that I don't want to listen it again - still I did it and it hasn't grow on me after several spins; Deicide's could have been so much better; Amon Amarth released again the same album as the last 3 or 4 ones, Kampfar's Mare is subpar to their standards...

but not all is lost. Vintersorg and Burzum released top quality material so far. Demonaz' debut is fairly good too, very Bathory-esque with the trademark Immortal riffage - his vocals are really like Abbath's..

About the german.... Empyrium's Weiland is sung in german and one of the best albums ever released for a metal band - despite not being metal at all.

True about Moonsorrow. For some reason I forgot to listen to it, and it was not what I expected. Listened to it a couple of times, and that's it.
Never cared about AA, way over-rated. Nor Deicide :p .

Can't wait for new Empyrium!!! And yes, Weiland is a masterpiece; and, to be honest I don't consider Empyrium metal.

NP:

Type O Negative: Christian Woman

Perfect song for 3:30? Iesus Khristos looks like me, Iesus Khristos. (I do get that a lot).

But Samael - Lux Mundi is excellent!

You doing the review yourself on this one? Looking forward to it, seems from the Youtube clips that they have fixed the production mishap that Above was, and it's back to sweet, crystal-clear sound the way they do it best!

Djöfull;9769798 said:
French and danish are clearly not metal languages as they are soft! Bring me the harsh tone of finnish and german and I'll consider the band. Hehe.

Dear sir, are you drunk?? Danish is the angriest of all the Nordic languages! No wonder they specialize in death and death-like metal. Just look at their death flagships Illdisposed and Konkhra. Bo Summer (Illdisposed) is brutal! Or what about Svartsot, for the folky death style?
If harsh thrash-vocals is your thing, Invocator has some superb stuff you might want to look at as well.

NP: Bullet // Highway Pirates

You doing the review yourself on this one? Looking forward to it, seems from the Youtube clips that they have fixed the production mishap that Above was, and it's back to sweet, crystal-clear sound the way they do it best!

Dear sir, are you drunk?? Danish is the angriest of all the Nordic languages! No wonder they specialize in death and death-like metal. Just look at their death flagships Illdisposed and Konkhra. Bo Summer (Illdisposed) is brutal! Or what about Svartsot, for the folky death style?
If harsh thrash-vocals is your thing, Invocator has some superb stuff you might want to look at as well.

Yes, I wonder what the bloody heck happened with the production of Above. They should re-release it with a much better production IMO.

:lol:, angriest of all Nordic languages. Yeah, must be angry to speak like that hahaha.

Yes, I wonder what the bloody heck happened with the production of Above. They should re-release it with a much better production IMO.

Above sounds fairly good - at least the original CD. The production goes well with the mood of the album, which is a modern tribute to their old days. I would lower the drums a bit in the mix tho, but the warm distortion they use since Passage could detract some of the heaviness, the rawness of the actual recording has my approval.

The new Empyrium track is metal as their old songs imo.

NP:

Last edited by a moderator:
Above sounds fairly good - at least the original CD. The production goes well with the mood of the album, which is a modern tribute to their old days. I would lower the drums a bit in the mix tho, but the warm distortion they use since Passage could detract some of the heaviness, the rawness of the actual recording has my approval.

The new Empyrium track is metal as their old songs imo.

It's still audible, but I think it should've been much better. I still like that album a lot, though.

Empyriuuuuuuuum!

NP:
Ulver: September IV (Best track of the album, IMO.)

The family is gathering
In silent prayer

Before the bed
Where he is laid out

Beautiful in black
And closed eyes

Only a boy
And a brother

And a lover
And a son

His sudden
And violent death

Leaving us without words
And looking away

From the mother
And the father

Left alone to go through
A great grief forever.

Vegard in memoriam

I haven't really been into Arch Enemy's music since Anthems Of Rebellion but this song is alright, it gives me a little bit of hope for the new album anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those bands don't seem to sing in danish except for Svartsot. So you just might be drunk and ligeglad. I have heard the name of most of these bands but not really listened to them. Will definately check out Svartsot.

Danish is the least metal of the other big Nordic nations. :Þ

Septic Flesh - The Great Mass another fantastic record. Dimmu`s latest effort is sh*t compared to this. Don`t get me wrong I don`t want to bash the DB fans just in terms of good music this record ^ is far superior.

I've had a bitch of a time getting into Septic Flesh's new record. I don't get what my problem is. It's like everything I'm supposed to like I DON'T like this year. But then the new Vomitory record and new Samael record are both rocking my world.

Also, yeah, I agree that Danish is definitely the roughest of the Scandinavian languages. It lacks the melody that Swedish and Norwegian have and it has a much rougher sound, more akin to German in tone and placement of letters. I think Danish would be suited for industrial as well. ;)

The new Septic is a bit more chaotic and furious than the polished Communion. I've heard it twice. It's quite good but not as good overall as Communion.

Djöfull;9772880 said:
Those bands don't seem to sing in danish except for Svartsot. So you just might be drunk and ligeglad. I have heard the name of most of these bands but not really listened to them. Will definately check out Svartsot.

Danish is the least metal of the other big Nordic nations. :Þ

Well, you are right in that Svartsot is the only band of the ones I mentioned singing in Danish, I mentioned the others only in reply to your comment about Danish = soft. ;)

You are equally correct in naming Denmark as the least metal of the Nordic countries; here is mostly an underground scene with very few bands of an international calibre. So, mentioning a few smaller bands who also sing in a brutal/harsh voice with Danish lyrics; Vanir (who sound almost identical to Svartsot), Sylvatica (black/folk) and Heidra (viking/folk with lyrics in both Danish and English).

NP: Macabre // Rub a Dub Dub

Well, you are right in that Svartsot is the only band of the ones I mentioned singing in Danish, I mentioned the others only in reply to your comment about Danish = soft. ;)

You are equally correct in naming Denmark as the least metal of the Nordic countries; here is mostly an underground scene with very few bands of an international calibre. So, mentioning a few smaller bands who also sing in a brutal/harsh voice with Danish lyrics; Vanir (who sound almost identical to Svartsot), Sylvatica (black/folk) and Heidra (viking/folk with lyrics in both Danish and English).

NP: Macabre // Rub a Dub Dub

I meant the language is soft. Which reminds me, I'm off to Denmark tomorrow.. and my crappy language skills when speaking to a friend of my mom will be unbearable... so I'll probably shift to english.

Hehe, I thought you might get offended about the least metal comment. But reeeespect 2 u 4 realism. Anyway thanks for the hints.