The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

37234_128618950502211_113893601974746_196338_2022661_n.jpg

Check it out. It's awesome, and very much in the vein of Bergtatt. But, I might be biased since I kinda know the guy doing the extreme vocals,

I'll check it for sure. Bergtatt is one of my top 5 albums ever, in every genre.

I'm digging more Agalloch lately, even if it sounds like an extension of Bergtatt, it's still very good.

Nàttsòl will be getting a review from me in the future. It's good, but it's pretty derivative. Am I the only person who thinks that imitating Bergtatt all these years later seems a tad lame? I mean, it might be good, but there's gotta be something you can do with it to make it sound less derivative. Still Stemning doesn't suck.

NP: Soilwork // The Panic Broadcast —*Haha, wtf? So the last record I listened to by Soilwork was like 10 years ago. These guys are über commercial now. Wow.

Nàttsòl will be getting a review from me in the future. It's good, but it's pretty derivative. Am I the only person who thinks that imitating Bergtatt all these years later seems a tad lame? I mean, it might be good, but there's gotta be something you can do with it to make it sound less derivative. Still Stemning doesn't suck.

NP: Soilwork // The Panic Broadcast —*Haha, wtf? So the last record I listened to by Soilwork was like 10 years ago. These guys are über commercial now. Wow.

I liked Nattsol, but I feel almost the same than when I heard Agalloch on 99 or so. Now it's the same with Fen, Woods of Ypres, October Falls and the list go on. For me, just Empyrium, Borknagar (if applies) and Vintersorg managed to make something totally 'different' with the Ulver influence, but now I have a mind open enough to still enjoy the 'new' elements that those bands add - even if some of them add just a little bit or originality.

np: Borknagar - All discography. I already did this when Universal was released, now that the band will come here I'll probably listen the albums over and over. Right now I listen to Winter Millenium. The ending is SO DAMN EPIC.

I liked Nattsol, but I feel almost the same than when I heard Agalloch on 99 or so. Now it's the same with Fen, Woods of Ypres, October Falls and the list go on. For me, just Empyrium, Borknagar (if applies) and Vintersorg managed to make something totally 'different' with the Ulver influence, but now I have a mind open enough to still enjoy the 'new' elements that those bands add - even if some of them add just a little bit or originality.

np: Borknagar - All discography. I already did this when Universal was released, now that the band will come here I'll probably listen the albums over and over. Right now I listen to Winter Millenium. The ending is SO DAMN EPIC.

Haha maybe we are in Eva 400% syncro mode?

Because I was going to write that I was listening to the entire Bork disco, but that I was particularly into Winter Millennium a lot.

Haha maybe we are in Eva 400% syncro mode?

Because I was going to write that I was listening to the entire Bork disco, but that I was particularly into Winter Millennium a lot.
Shinji syncho mode on!

I really hope Borknagar plays that song. One of my fav from TAC.

np: Borknagar - Signs.

The Future Sound of London - Sunken Ships
Environments 3 (2010)

That little package I was talking about in the "Last cd you bought" thread came today :D
Second spin of this album already, great atmosphere similar to that of 1996's Dead Cities, but more ambient-oriented. Can't wait for Env4...

uhm yeah that happened about 7 years ago, when they released "Figure Number 5". Quite a good album nevertheless. I loved how they mix their music on the then "newer" albums, really solid and modern. Haven't followed them anymore after Stabbing The Drama and seeing them live sometime in Fall 2005, but I still think they're a great band and I have lots of good memories from the time I was a big fan.

Shinji syncho mode on!

I really hope Borknagar plays that song. One of my fav from TAC.

np: Borknagar - Signs.

Haha you're gay, you should've at least said Asuka synchro mode on (yes yes I know Shinji had the 400% synchro, but who knows what will happen in the remakes? :p). ;) .

My favourite for TAC is Nocturnal Vision.

Borknagar: Colossus

:worship::worship::worship:

uhm yeah that happened about 7 years ago, when they released "Figure Number 5". Quite a good album nevertheless. I loved how they mix their music on the then "newer" albums, really solid and modern. Haven't followed them anymore after Stabbing The Drama and seeing them live sometime in Fall 2005, but I still think they're a great band and I have lots of good memories from the time I was a big fan.

Good at it, but I'm torn. I guess it's old news and I'm sure the response I'll get to my review is "Uhm, yeah, that happened about 7 years ago." But honestly, it's quite a surprise for me.. :lol: It's not *bad*, really, but it's so fucking commercial.

@Novembers: I just read your review of Thulcandra. I ask you this: when it's lame to copycat a certain band/album and when it's not? not just Ulver's Bergtatt suffers this, also Opeth (see lastest Ikuinen Kaamos and Katatonia), Arcturus (Vulture Industries), Darkthrone (too many to mention) as so many others.

np: Borknagar - A Tale of Pagan Tongue (live Inferno 2001)

note: I just noticed that Thulcandra is Obscura's guitarist band. I got it now. Obscura is barely original to begin with.

@Novembers: I just read your review of Thulcandra. I ask you this: when it's lame to copycat a certain band/album and when it's not? not just Ulver's Bergtatt suffers this, also Opeth (see lastest Ikuinen Kaamos and Katatonia), Arcturus (Vulture Industries), Darkthrone (too many to mention) as so many others.

np: Borknagar - A Tale of Pagan Tongue (live Inferno 2001)

note: I just noticed that Thulcandra is Obscura's guitarist band. I got it now. Obscura is barely original to begin with.

I didn't write that review. ;) I would've given that record a lower rating. I think that Dissection rip off gets 3.0 if I'm feeling generous. The last line of the review was probably totally aimed at me. :lol: Unfortunately I don't get as much review writing done these days due to other projects. So I've got some helpers now.

I don't think that late Katatonia is Opeth rip off, but I don't like Ikuinen Kaamos, they take the Opeth ripoff thing too far IMO. That said, I do really enjoy Obscura a lot. But normally when a band is just a blatant rip off it shows because their music isn't engaging. There's an energy that comes with being original IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry. I didn't notice that the review was written by someone else. I found it weird anyway.

I can tolerate a certain amount of influence in a band tho. Sirius was an excellent symphonic black metal band heavily influenced by Emperor ITNE era but they managed to sound original enough (more noticed on their second album which is brilliant IMO). The lastest Katatonia album for me was obviously made to appeal Opeth fans, like Ikuinen does. I like Obscura (mainly for the basslines), but I can't avoid to hear Necrophagist and Death ITP-Symbolic riffage and structures (little Pestilence - spheres elements too) on it. I still enjoy it.

Another problem that sometimes I find on modern music is how generic are a bunch of bands, and still they are successful, most noticeable in death metak, specifically in melodeath and brutal death/grind.

np:Borknagar - Live at Wacken 09.