The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

Woods Of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light

For probably the 10th time. This album is brilliant, it just might be my favorite Woods album. It is a damn shame we will never see where David would have taken his music from here.

Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: grey skies and electric light
It's great.............................................

Hell no! the Type O' Negativeness sucks and everything in between it's just senseless. I heard the album with an open mind and I felt it was a very, very mediocre effort. This has nothing to do with his destiny tho and probably many people will praise it just for the Kurt Cobain's effect.

While I think that a car accident's deaths always sucks - especially for family/friends who suffer for it - , I think this guy was nothing in the music business and that album just confirms it.

NP: Myrath - Desert Call.

Hell no! the Type O' Negativeness sucks and everything in between it's just senseless. I heard the album with an open mind and I felt it was a very, very mediocre effort. This has nothing to do with his destiny tho and probably many people will praise it just for the Kurt Cobain's effect.

While I think that a car accident's deaths always sucks - especially for family/friends who suffer for it - , I think this guy was nothing in the music business and that album just confirms it.

Yeah well, Woods of Ypres isn’t for everyone. Actually the first time I heard this band I really didn’t like it, because I was searching for Melodic Black Metal and wasn’t impressed at all… Later I tried again and listened to “Woods 4: the Green album”; after 3 or 4 songs, my mood changed unexpectedly and that’s not something that often happens when I listen to a record. I felt like more relaxed and vaguely melancholic, but in a peculiar way… And it was very nice. Then I had the opportunity to see them live and I had such a great, special time. That was enough to convince me. The charisma, friendliness and attitude of David Gold also contributed to my positive feeling towards this band, but if you see music as a mere “business”, I’m sure you can’t understand what I mean.
That last album has the same effect on me than Woods 4 (even if, of course, it’s more emotional in regard to the circumstances). I don’t like Type O Negative at all by the way, whereas Woods of Ypres’ music is very touching to me. It might not even be one of my favorite bands, but the atmosphere of the songs and these direct, striking lyrics have a deep humanity that I’m not very much used to hear. Woods 5 delivers very well the kind of bittersweet sensations I was expecting, I love that because it’s unique and I can’t find it in any other records – that’s my one of my definitions of something “great”, if you want to know.
You missed your WOY listening as much as I missed mine with Type O, that’s fine. But it was awkward to say “this guy was nothing in the music business”, it sounds arrogant (you think you can define who’s an artist and who is not?) and moreover it’s not a friendly thing to say to people who knew him, related to his music in ways you don’t understand, and now miss him very much. His works are very meaningful and important for many people, you can’t deny this fact.
And I’m not sure about what you mean on the “Kurt Cobain effect”, but I personally doubt that WOY will suddenly gain lots of new fans and become popular because David has died. I also doubt that the fans would have been disappointed by this album if he were still alive.

Yeah well, Woods of Ypres isn’t for everyone. Actually the first time I heard this band I really didn’t like it, because I was searching for Melodic Black Metal and wasn’t impressed at all… Later I tried again and listened to “Woods 4: the Green album”; after 3 or 4 songs, my mood changed unexpectedly and that’s not something that often happens when I listen to a record. I felt like more relaxed and vaguely melancholic, but in a peculiar way… And it was very nice. Then I had the opportunity to see them live and I had such a great, special time. That was enough to convince me. The charisma, friendliness and attitude of David Gold also contributed to my positive feeling towards this band, but if you see music as a mere “business”, I’m sure you can’t understand what I mean.
That last album has the same effect on me than Woods 4 (even if, of course, it’s more emotional in regard to the circumstances). I don’t like Type O Negative at all by the way, whereas Woods of Ypres’ music is very touching to me. It might not even be one of my favorite bands, but the atmosphere of the songs and these direct, striking lyrics have a deep humanity that I’m not very much used to hear. Woods 5 delivers very well the kind of bittersweet sensations I was expecting, I love that because it’s unique and I can’t find it in any other records – that’s my one of my definitions of something “great”, if you want to know.
You missed your WOY listening as much as I missed mine with Type O, that’s fine. But it was awkward to say “this guy was nothing in the music business”, it sounds arrogant (you think you can define who’s an artist and who is not?) and moreover it’s not a friendly thing to say to people who knew him, related to his music in ways you don’t understand, and now miss him very much. His works are very meaningful and important for many people, you can’t deny this fact.
And I’m not sure about what you mean on the “Kurt Cobain effect”, but I personally doubt that WOY will suddenly gain lots of new fans and become popular because David has died. I also doubt that the fans would have been disappointed by this album if he were still alive.

Ok, in a more polite way: his passing will be sad for his family, friends and fans but I won't say anything about him, since I didn't know him. About WOY, I gave it a fair chance to the band many times but in the end I just think it's a pretty mediocre act, so I won't miss more WoY albums.

I'm not a huge Type O-Negative fan, but for me it was pretty obvious the influence and 'IMO' it was very bad done. The songwriting as a whole is simple - which is not a problem at all, being a fan of many minimalistic ambient, doom and folk bands - but it does nothing for me, I can't sense something enjoyable on the songs. The production doesn't help either, it sounds very cold, mechanical at times and go against the intention - that I think it vaguely tries to convey.

Ok, in a more polite way: his passing will be sad for his family, friends and fans but I won't say anything about him, since I didn't know him. About WOY, I gave it a fair chance to the band many times but in the end I just think it's a pretty mediocre act, so I won't miss more WoY albums.

I'm not a huge Type O-Negative fan, but for me it was pretty obvious the influence and 'IMO' it was very bad done. The songwriting as a whole is simple - which is not a problem at all, being a fan of many minimalistic ambient, doom and folk bands - but it does nothing for me, I can't sense something enjoyable on the songs. The production doesn't help either, it sounds very cold, mechanical at times and go against the intention - that I think it vaguely tries to convey.

I do like Woods, not mediocre IMO, but certainly not a 'superb great oh-life-just-would-not-be-the-same-without-them' band. But it's true that a lot of people are into the band due to David's passing, happens all the time so no point in discussing that.

Sigurðr;10128116 said:
reminds me Dornenreich, in some way, which is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxRCzG8cXU

This really sounds nothing like Dornenreich; still a good band I guess.

Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Âme

What do you think about it? I heard it many times but I felt it sub par compared to Ecailles, although better than souvenirs. It feels like Neige is running short of ideas sometimes. I hope this won't be the last album featuring grim vocals, as I heard somewhere.