The nu metal equation

Should be getting a copy of Chemical Wedding soon...but, I dunno, I just never really got round to buying any Bruce solo stuff. Meh. Tattooed Millionaire is fun though :)

markgugs said:
Ali, you mean his solo work is better than this period? For released stuff, right? Because they were still a live force through 1992, and obviously, by 1999 he was back and their shows ruled all.
Yeah, exactly - I refer to his studio albums only.

Between 1990 and 1998, Bruce released:

Tatooed Millionaire (good fun rock album, although it led to a friendship with Janick...)
Balls to Picasso (wholly underrated - ROY Z)
Skunkworks (with honesty, I've never heard it!!)
Accident of Birth (fantastic!! - ROY Z)
Chemical Wedding (fantastic!!!!, in my top ten albums of all time - ROY Z)

Iron Maiden released:

No Prayer for the Dying (above average, beginning of the downslide)
Fear of the Dark (I don't like this really)
The X Factor (Some good songs, shit vocals)
Virtual XI (I don't own it, I don't want it either)
Brave New World (good stuff, back on the right track)
Dance of Death (best album since 7th Son)

I would say that *on average*, Bruce's solo efforts were better than Iron Maiden's - in particular, his albums with Roy Z.

Oh and don't forget, Adrian Smith teamed up with Bruce again for Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding!! Those two together wrote some of the best Maiden songs ever (e.g. Flight of Icarus, Die with Your Boots On, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Back in the Village, Moonchild,....and er, Sun and Steel).

JayKeeley said:
No Prayer for the Dying (above average, beginning of the downslide)
Fear of the Dark (I don't like this really)
The X Factor (Some good songs, shit vocals)
Virtual XI (I don't own it, I don't want it either)
Actually, Maiden only released these between '90 and '98, so based on that criteria, it's no question that Bruce's solo stuff was better. It's much closer if you consider BNW and DoD.

Heh, Ayeka asked if Bruce Dickinson rapped on to Tame a Land...

Mention Bruce or Maiden round these parts, and it's like opening Pandora's fucking box. :D

No, but I remembered two nights ago that I still haven't listened to it! I thank you for the write up on all the songs though, I breezed through them but shall study, memorize, and dissect, them very soon now, pwomise. :loco:

Dreamlord said:
Swano had zilch to do with Still Life. He was only involved with the first two, which happen to be the best ones. SL was produced and recorded at Fredman, so blame that Fredrik guy.
Thanks. Now I know who to 'blame' for Opeth's best disc.

Zod

Erik said:
"Chemical Wedding", "Accident of Birth" and "Skunkworks" are all better than post-1988 'Maiden, INCLUDING BNW and DoD. How's that for conspiracy?
i have to agree with the above statement:D yea post '88 Maiden has some bright spots and i wouldn't consider any of them to be wholly bad releases, just not as consistent in quality as the Bruce offerings. (still is upset he went back to Maiden when he was doing so much better solo)
loel.gif