The official brutal death metal thread

Life Sucks said:
They sure aren't industrial metal. Who said they were? Meshuggah could never be categorized as industrial metal because they don't have a drum machine, don't really use samples, and don't use wierd sounding synthesizers.
No one on this board. On the Game FAQs Metal board there's a user who is thought of, by many, as the Oracle of All Thing Metal and Grind :lol: who believes that Meshuggah are Industrial Metal :guh: . I basically owned him in a topic about it and yet he refused to admit that they aren't Industrial Metal in the slightest :rolleyes: . I said Technical Metal is a much better description as its actually correct but he was like "omg!11!!wtflol!!1!! :loco: leik s0 meny badnz ar tekn1cal n s0wnd nuthn aleik!!1!!11!shift+1". I agree with him to an extent but I'm still right. :Smug:

N3kr0metal.tk said:
Industrial Metal: Basically Thrash metal mixed with Industrial. To be more precise metal with heavy use of electronics, samples, synths, and even sequenced noise. Often the guitars will have a very reverb soaked tone, giving them a machine like quality. Vocals vary, but are normally different types of screams or growls, along with singing. A lot of the time, there are effects used on the vocals, or the vocals will just be incredibly distorted. (Demanufacture-era) Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Godflesh, Strapping Young Lad, and Misery Loves Co. (pre-YVWNMTS) are all obvious/excellent examples.
*Listens to entire Meshuggah back catalogue*
I'm pretty sure the only sample Meshuggah have ever used was the intro to "Future Breed Machine" :)worship: ).

BloodStainedWalls said:
Decapitated
Sceptic
Neuraxis
Morbid Angel
Anata
Gorguts
Circle of Dead Children
Kaamos
Luciferion
Necromicon
Quo Vadis
Septic Flesh
Severed Saviour
Spawn of Possesion
Zyklon
Behemoth

Nice list of bands but I'm pretty sure those I've quoted aren't Brutal Death Metal, if Death Metal at all, specifically Quo Vadis and CoDC.

Hm, Brutal Death Metal really isn't my thing, but here's my little list. I agree with Ageless' definition, so I'll try to stick to it.

Cryptopsy
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Bolt Thrower (grindcore?)
Nile

666Phoenix666 said:
Hm, Brutal Death Metal really isn't my thing, but here's my little list. I agree with Ageless' definition, so I'll try to stick to it.

Cryptopsy
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Bolt Thrower (grindcore?)
Nile

I wouldn't call Morbid Angel, Obituary or Bolt Thrower (not grindcore, btw ;) ) brutal DM. I'm unsure about Deicide too, although I had them on my list.

Hm, I wouldn't really know either way. I think I have a different genre cathagorization then most people... but fuck, who really cares?

Am I right to consider Vader brutal?

henrikmain said:
MANOWAR Director Comments On The Making Of 'Hell On Earth III' - Nov. 29, 2003

"This DVD is packed full of incredible moments. One of my personal favorites is the first live performance of Nessun Dorma at the Gods Of Metal Festival in Milan, Italy. If you look closely, you can see tears streaming from the audience's eyes. Such is the power of MANOWAR onstage — simply awe-inspiring
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

666Phoenix666 said:
Hm, I wouldn't really know either way. I think I have a different genre cathagorization then most people... but fuck, who really cares?

Am I right to consider Vader brutal?
IMO Vader are death metal, but not brutal death. They play more groove oriented death metal. They are definiltey death metal though, and not a thrash band.

Ageless said:
Nice list of bands but I'm pretty sure those I've quoted aren't Brutal Death Metal, if Death Metal at all, specifically Quo Vadis and CoDC.
How the hell do you figure?! Not QV & CoDC..but the bands that you quoted....Decapitated not brutal death metal?! Anata, Luciferion, Spawn of Possesion, Behemoth (late), Gorguts, Severed Saviour???!!!

Baahh, who the fuck cares. Its all brutal music.

hmm... the majority of people here have a wide musical taste on metal - they listen to something of melodic metal and as well as brutal metal, but do they understand that they list bands in this thread that arent even near brutal death metal? the likes of zyklon and behemoth caught in my eye many, many times.

bands:

deeds of flesh (perhaps best death metal band)
brodequin
incantation
centurian
vile
diabolic

nile is ok too

albums:

hate - holy dead trinity
gorgasm - masticate to dominate
infester - to the depths, from degradation

MAGUS said:
hmm... the majority of people here have a wide musical taste on metal - they listen to something of melodic metal and as well as brutal metal, but do they understand that they list bands in this thread that arent even near brutal death metal? the likes of zyklon and behemoth caught in my eye many, many times.
Yup, I tried to set the standard of this thread to very, very brutal. Certain people will automatically assume the most brutal stuff they have heard qualifies as brutal by everybody else's standards. I don't really blame them for that, at least they try. Maybe they will learn something from this thread and find out there is more to UG brutal death metal than meets the eye.

BloodStainedWalls said:
How the hell do you figure?! Not QV & CoDC..but the bands that you quoted....Decapitated not brutal death metal?! Anata, Luciferion, Spawn of Possesion, Behemoth (late), Gorguts, Severed Saviour???!!!

Baahh, who the fuck cares. Its all brutal music.
i didnt realise i left severed savior in the list. Decapitated, Anata, Luciferion, Behemoth, Spawn of Possession and Gorguts arent Brutal Death Metal.

Okay, so who can give an accurate description of Brutal Death Metal? Does it have to be synonymous with Death Grind? Because if so, then I really don't like Brutal Death very much. I can't stand pretty much anything related to Grind Core.

Dodens Grav said:
Okay, so who can give an accurate description of Brutal Death Metal? Does it have to be synonymous with Death Grind? Because if so, then I really don't like Brutal Death very much. I can't stand pretty much anything related to Grind Core.
In my understanding, ultimate brutality has nothing to do with grind core. I don't have a single grind core band in my collection. I would like to use the example of Californian Disgorge for my idea of brutality (especially the album Consume the Forsaken). They play US style brutal death metal. The drumming is very brutal, yet the beats are separated from each other. The guitars are very technical (as opposed to the mess that is grindcore). The vocals are deep/guttural. I for one never look for mess, I look for brutality combined with musicianship. I have seen these guys live and I talked with them after the concert, they told me they travel out in the desert and practice for months. I don't know if that's true (Diego Sanches had a lot of weed smoke inside him then, haha), but judging by the skill of the band I don't think he was making it up. Well, that's my definition of brutality. Other people might come up with something different.

Texan brutal death metal certainly isn't innovative, but I like it quite a lot (namely Devourment, Prophecy, Sect of Execration and Saprogenic).

As for Slovakia, we certainly have some good brutal death metal acts (Synthetically Revived, Craniotomy, Achromasia, Sanatorium) but I doubt they are very well known worldwide (apart from Sanatorium). I also suspect many other countries have similar scenes (Pyaemia and Disavowed in Holland, Soils of Fate in Sweden, etc) but not many of the bands manage to float to the surface.