The Official Doom Thread

OK, you dudes either need to tell me or I need to listen. Griftegard is massive. Excellent epic stuff with a Warning vibe.

waiting on the new Revelation.

are the latest three candlemass albums any good?

is that Sinister Realm CD worth grabbing? people have mentioned comparisons to early Manowar, Manilla Road, etc...

I have been putting off Dawn of Winter and Sinister Realm. I just don't seem to 'get it' from the myspace tracks.

I got the Sinister Realm and it's good but it's not making me want to keep listening to it..more listens I guess, havent gotten into the new Griftegard yet

Here's a live review of the new Memory Driven Album:

(17:02) Sternpe Ndobra: the intro track is lame a fuck
(17:03) Sternpe Ndobra: pretty much nothing going on in this intro
(17:03) Sternpe Ndobra: a bit of weird ambient
(17:03) Sternpe Ndobra: and stupid sounding keys
(17:04) Sternpe Ndobra: Nonprofundi (the myspace track) is on now
(17:05) Sternpe Ndobra: the mix is weird, way in the background creating a rock feel rather than doom
(17:06) Sternpe Ndobra: fucking great vocal melodies
(17:06) Sternpe Ndobra: tons of bass in the mix, I mean TONS
(17:06) Sternpe Ndobra: I can clearly hear every note
(17:07) Sternpe Ndobra: okay now it's heavier... after a shor interlude
(17:07) Sternpe Ndobra: classic dennis melody
(17:07) Sternpe Ndobra: rokkin as fuck
(17:07) Sternpe Ndobra: (for a doom album)
(17:08) Sternpe Ndobra: hmm. this first song has a lot of great parts, but seems disconnected. Like written into three separate parts

[/pizza break]

(17:38) Sternpe Ndobra: okay now for track three
(17:39) Sternpe Ndobra: kind of awkward vocal melodies with a mixed with a riff with a very subtle melody
(17:40) Sternpe Ndobra: now progressing into a normal Dennis song
(17:42) Sternpe Ndobra: whoa... ace combination of grunge and doom right now
(17:42) Sternpe Ndobra: hard to describe
(17:43) Sternpe Ndobra: wtf
(17:43) Sternpe Ndobra: the second song with an ambient-ish ending
(17:44) Sternpe Ndobra: Track four starts off with heavy rythm guitar and a nice lead going to a heavy riff
(17:44) Sternpe Ndobra: quite a disconnect, but Dennis' vocals bring it together, using his vocals to create the melody instead of the guitars
(17:44) Sternpe Ndobra: now moving onto the intro riffs mixing with the melodies of the vocals
(17:46) Sternpe Ndobra: whoa complete change in style of the song, from a doomy song that progressed to a rock sound'
(17:48) Sternpe Ndobra: god damnit
(17:48) Sternpe Ndobra: wtf is this ambient shit at the end of songs
(17:49) Sternpe Ndobra: ambivalence/weird keyboard/guitar stuff
(17:49) Sternpe Ndobra: but mostly ambient
(17:49) Sternpe Ndobra: adds an unnecessary 1-2 minutes on the song
(17:49) Sternpe Ndobra: I didn't buy a MD album for this!
(17:51) Sternpe Ndobra: not sure what to think about this album half way through
(17:51) Sternpe Ndobra: the heavy parts are asf though
(17:51) Sternpe Ndobra: like right now in Moment
(17:52) Sternpe Ndobra: it's an awesome melody with a heavy riff behind it and Denis kicking ass on vocals
(17:53) Sternpe Ndobra: the melody and vocal harmonies are fantastic on this ong
(17:53) Sternpe Ndobra: still heavy too
(17:54) Sternpe Ndobra: yeah Moment is fucking awesome
(17:56) Sternpe Ndobra: WTFFFFFFFFF
(17:56) Sternpe Ndobra: are they going to end EVERY FUCKING SONG with this lame keyboard ambient shit?
(17:57) Sternpe Ndobra: it sounds like Burzum's ambient stuff on Hvis, like using a shitty ass keyboard
(17:58) Sternpe Ndobra: right after this they blow me away from a killer riff/melody
(17:58) Sternpe Ndobra: this sounds a lot like Oversoul, fucking ace
(18:01) Sternpe Ndobra: nice jam on this song, a bit of a weird interlude in teh middle, but not bad
(18:02) Sternpe Ndobra: okay this is just absurd
(18:03) Sternpe Ndobra: this track ends in this ambient stuff
(18:05) Sternpe Ndobra: just posted on HR about this ambient shit
(18:06) Sternpe Ndobra: god damn
(18:06) Sternpe Ndobra: this song's riff is asf
(18:06) Sternpe Ndobra: a classic slow head banger
(18:12) Sternpe Ndobra: GOD DAMNIT
(18:12) Sternpe Ndobra: another fucking ambient/keyboard thing
(18:12) Sternpe Ndobra: that's every fucking song
(18:17) Sternpe Ndobra: god fucking damnit
(18:17) Sternpe Ndobra: ANOTHER STUPID FUCKING AMBIENT THING
(18:19) Sternpe Ndobra: god damn
(18:19) Sternpe Ndobra: these riffs are fucking awesome
(18:21) Sternpe Ndobra: god damn
(18:21) Sternpe Ndobra: fucking brilliant melodies
(18:22) Sternpe Ndobra: yeah
(18:22) Sternpe Ndobra: because the songs are fucking fantastic
(18:23) Sternpe Ndobra: so Closer pull uses this great slow hypnotic riff to capture the listener, but eventually goes inot this ambient shit. WTF.
(18:26) Sternpe Ndobra: okay this song is fucking heavy
(18:26) Sternpe Ndobra: a heavy riff in the background with a lot of melody from the leads
(18:26) Sternpe Ndobra: pretty cool
(18:27) Sternpe Ndobra: this is classic dennis. epic as fuck
(18:28) Sternpe Ndobra: whoa
(18:29) Sternpe Ndobra: this part is fucking great
(18:29) Sternpe Ndobra: a nice progressive doom riff
(18:29) Sternpe Ndobra: heavy yet building upon each riffs to a climax. The bass line is riffy too. I like this song
(18:30) Sternpe Ndobra: lol the last song doesn't end with ambience. How fucking stupid.

Good track. The new guy was fucking putrid.

Anywho, what's going on with this 40 Watt Sun band? Pat Walker's involved with guys from the River? No samples out there anywhere?

Anywho, what's going on with this 40 Watt Sun band? Pat Walker's involved with guys from the River? No samples out there anywhere?

I haven't heard a thing about it but it sounds damn interesting. Absolutely love the debut from The River, I wish those blokes would get around to releasing a new record.

speaking of The River, In Situ is hitting me fucking HARD! this is the first album to hit me this year, im fucking loving it, more than drawing

HEY, speaking of The River again, I had no idea In Situ came out at the end of the year. Does anyone want to be awesome and upload that? I'm restricting myself from buying anything non essential for the next few weeks, but I Reeeeally want to hear this album.

im going to upload it now..i hope it doesn't get wide spread so im going to PM people who I think are worthy of listening! don't want this on every blog..