The Official Good Television Thread

i'm only three episodes in but midnight mass is superb so far. this is what i wanted ari fuckin' aster's stuff to be, and at times it's the closest thing i've seen to scott bakker on the screen with paul giving me big kellhus vibes (not sure how this comp will hold up over time...). i'm a total sucker for these kinds of isolated fishing village settings as well. the performances bring a lot of intensity when needed and nail some quite difficult grandiose dialogue, with all the big speeches it ought to feel like scenery-chewing way more often than it does. i'm also impressed with just how damn much they seem to pack into each episode, like i could probably list off half a dozen seismic events that happened in episode 2 and it's hard to understand how they were all part of the same ep. some of the horror aspects are a bit goofy (a few too many standard jump scares and tired supernatural tropes), but they aren't the emphasis so it's not a big deal. i also thought the third episode revelation was obvious from the get-go but it was executed so well that didn't matter either. excited to get through the rest. it's also making me want to listen to SMRC for the billionth time, i guess that's my go-to for intensely devout yet perverted christianity haha.

also been watching a load of kids in the hall while i've been working, i'd seen sketches before but not really watched episodes. one of the classic sketch comedies for sure. haven't tried the new stuff yet but i've heard it's surprisingly good.

kirk hammett origin story:

i'm only three episodes in but midnight mass is superb so far. this is what i wanted ari fuckin' aster's stuff to be, and at times it's the closest thing i've seen to scott bakker on the screen with paul giving me big kellhus vibes (not sure how this comp will hold up over time...). i'm a total sucker for these kinds of isolated fishing village settings as well. the performances bring a lot of intensity when needed and nail some quite difficult grandiose dialogue, with all the big speeches it ought to feel like scenery-chewing way more often than it does. i'm also impressed with just how damn much they seem to pack into each episode, like i could probably list off half a dozen seismic events that happened in episode 2 and it's hard to understand how they were all part of the same ep. some of the horror aspects are a bit goofy (a few too many standard jump scares and tired supernatural tropes), but they aren't the emphasis so it's not a big deal. i also thought the third episode revelation was obvious from the get-go but it was executed so well that didn't matter either. excited to get through the rest. it's also making me want to listen to SMRC for the billionth time, i guess that's my go-to for intensely devout yet perverted christianity haha.

cool connection to Bakker's work, I didn't think of that.

it's been a while since i watched, but i only recall maybe one or two actual jump scares; and I think they basically disappear after the first couple episodes (could be misremembering). overall, it struck me as a really taut narrative that relied more on creeping dread than tropes and scare tactics.

apparently Flanagan is developing adaptations for "Fall of the House of Usher" and Something is Killing the Children. i'm skeptical whether he can sustain the quality of Midnight Mass, but if he can...

Just watched the first episode of Under the Banner of Heaven. So far, so good. Good script, engaging and good performances.

No there was definitely a fair amount of jumpscaring. I remember thinking it was ironic Mike usually gets praised for his lack of jumpscares.

weird, I can only recall two explicit jump scares, and I'm pretty sure they were in the first episode. i figure there must be more after that but they clearly didn't leave an impression. but i suppose that also speaks to the show's strength, which is its ability to install a sense of mounting anxiety and dread.

there are multiple incidents of people wandering around their houses at night with all of the curtains open like absolute freaks and stuff suddenly appearing at the windows.

New Taylor Sheridan show!!!! Stallone as a gangster!!!! Holy fucking shit I'm excited!!!!!

Reactions: CiG
The one with Jamie Dornan? That was an interesting one. Looked pretty good from the previews. It has moments where it looked like it could be one of the most enthralling shows ever but then it didn't capitalise on them. There was some interesting stuff happening throughout the series. Overall I didn't mind it but the inconsistencies and inaccuracies made it bloody hard to watch. Not sure if I'll watch S2 (if it's released).

Reactions: Einherjar86
I've been mindlessly binging What We Do in the Shadows.

Colin Robinson is one of the greatest sitcom characters ever conjured from the bowels of TV hell.