The Official Good Television Thread

so the studio wanted him for the stereotype role and he wanted different..............wonder how that's relevant to this discussion.......

Fucking shouldn't bother after you actually recommended that piece of shit oldboy remake

Then stop responding you 7 IQ faggot. :lol:

The creator wanted him because of his performance in The Lincoln Lawyer, not because he had wild ideas about reforming a typecasted actor. Matthew pursued the darker role because this is clearly what he's interested in based on prior roles. Nobody was reformed, the casting came about because of more serious roles he'd recently done in the first place retard.

Look at this amazing reformation though!

Your leapfrogging over a ten year gap you fucktard. And in the 90s he wasn't shit, him sucking a dick to get a role in a shitty Texas chainsaw movie?? That's your evidence?? You fuck lol I didn't even mention dazed and confused once. Making shit up.

I didn't leapfrog shit. He's had consistent dark roles on the side from the 90's through the 2000's, ramping up in the 2010's, culminating with True Detective, and he's been on a steady wind down ever since. This is just an observable fact. Cope harder.

Since True Detective he's done 3 fucking CGI animated movies, a Guy Ritchie comedy and The Beach Bum. Such a reformation!

rms keeps referencing Dazed and Confused as if that's all he did in the 1990's, ignoring roles in films like Lone Star, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, A Time to Kill etc. There's a consistent streak of playing both darker and safer roles.

A Time to Kill isn't a good example of his dramatic turn. There are some emotional scenes, but overall he's playing his usual devil may care role. The suave, sexy protagonist who flirts easily and lucks his way into success. I think it's a mischaracterization to say that Time to Kill and Lincoln Lawyer are indicators of a dramatic turn. They're melodrama at best.

I'm sorry, I just think it's fair to say that until the 2010s MM wasn't considered a serious dramatic actor, even despite films like Frailty. There's a cultural narrative to his career, and it takes a turn shortly after 2010.

This is dumb af. I see a trajectory from films like U-571 and Frailty from around the same time as your example. This all builds up into his darker 2010's stuff, of which you yourself point out True Detective is wedged within.

The fact that Matthew was supposed to play Marty but insisted he play Rust instead shows that HE was pursuing darker roles, which falls in line with what he'd been doing years prior (ie it was a conscious decision by him).

rms somehow thinks that's a point in his favour lmfao. But you guys can keep pretending he was just a romcom retard right up until True Detective rebirthed him like a phoenix I suppose.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on your personal knowledge of his career. Culturally speaking, MM wasn't always a dramatic actor, and I doubt he even considered himself such earlier in his career. He enjoyed a dramatic turn about ten years ago, and that turn isn't diminished by comedic roles he's done since then. All I'm saying is he solidified his standing as a dramatic actor in the 2010s.

A Time to Kill, the Lincoln Lawyer... these aren't signifiers of early dramatic efforts. They're very different roles than what he did in Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, and True Detective.

I don't think he's a serious dramatic actor either, but the idea that True Detective is the place where actors go to reinvent themselves is silly IF that actor was already taking dark roles years before. This is why I agree it's the case for Vaughn.

There's no way Matthew knew how popular True Detective would be, and it makes more sense to assume he was just following a trajectory he was already on. Chasing down more and more dramatic roles during the 2010's.

I don't think he's a serious dramatic actor either, but the idea that True Detective is the place where actors go to reinvent themselves is silly IF that actor was already taking dark roles years before. This is why I agree it's the case for Vaughn.

Well, the real exception to this idea is Mahershala Ali. He had no need of the series to reinvent himself. Nor did Colin Farrell need it. I was really just focusing on MM's career.

There's no way Matthew knew how popular True Detective would be, and it makes more sense to assume he was just following a trajectory he was already on. Chasing down more and more dramatic roles during the 2010's.

He may have personally intended this, I'm just saying that TD is a major cultural signifier for viewers, and is part of a discernible shift. That may not be what rms is saying, I don't know.

Yes I agree that of all the darker/dramatic stuff he did in the 2010's and prior, the one most people saw is the one that impacted his public perception the most. :rofl:

Yes I agree that of all the darker/dramatic stuff he did in the 2010's and prior, the one most people saw is the one that impacted his public perception the most. :rofl:

Ok, but that’s really all we have to go off. You can’t claim he was actively pursuing some kind of dramatic agenda prior to that. Maybe he was, but as far as his persona as an actor goes, the 2010s is where it shifts. Maybe he wanted to play Rust over Marty, but who’s to say where that decision falls in the broader scheme of things?

We can impose a personal trajectory, but ultimately the cultural arc is all we have to go by.

Ok, but that’s really all we have to go off. You can’t claim he was actively pursuing some kind of dramatic agenda prior to that. Maybe he was, but as far as his persona as an actor goes, the 2010s is where it shifts. Maybe he wanted to play Rust over Marty, but who’s to say where that decision falls in the broader scheme of things?

We can impose a personal trajectory, but ultimately the cultural arc is all we have to go by.

I agree that the perceivable shift happens in the 2010's, I've been saying that all along. That's my original point, that True Detective wasn't a reformation but just another step in a trend for the actor. If a reformation just means a lot of people finally noticed what he was pursuing then fine, but that's not how I read rms' comment.

As for who’s to say where that decision falls in the broader scheme of things? From Wiki:
McConaughey recognized that his "lifestyle, living on the beach, running with my shirt off, doing romantic comedies" had caused him to be typecast for certain roles, and he sought dramatic work with other themes. This shift in his choice of roles has been known as the "McConaissance" between 2011 and 2014. He said:

I got to feeling like, for a few years, I was doing something that I liked to do with romantic and action comedies. But believe me, I noticed there were other things that were not coming in. And if they were coming in, it was in an independent form with a much smaller paycheck, and nobody really wanting to get behind them ... But I knew I could say no to the things I'd been doing. In saying no to those things, I knew work was going to dry up for awhile ... Year and a half, still nothing. At two years, all of a sudden, in my opinion, I became a new good idea for some good directors.

Edit: I definitely don't agree that Jodie Foster's career is being reformed by a role in True Detective, and she's the actor that kicked off this whole autistic chain of disagreements.

Last edited:
I agree that the perceivable shift happens in the 2010's, I've been saying that all along. That's my original point, that True Detective wasn't a reformation but just another step in a trend for the actor. If a reformation just means a lot of people finally noticed what he was pursuing then fine, but that's not how I read rms' comment.

As for who’s to say where that decision falls in the broader scheme of things? From Wiki:

Edit: I definitely don't agree that Jodie Foster's career is being reformed by a role in True Detective, and she's the actor that kicked off this whole autistic chain of disagreements.

lol my original comment was also intended as a teacherly "you both make good points" remark, and then i think you and i started having a different discussion yet within the framework of the reformation topic. I don't agree that TD is the place actors go to reform themselves. I do think TD is a signal moment in MM's career specifically and probably the most widely acknowledged element in his transformation. For what it's worth, i feel like i do see it as more of a transformation and less as something toward which he was always trending than you do.

if there is an actor who used TD to transform themselves, i could be swayed that MM is that actor. don't buy that the show as a whole is a reformation machine, though.

I think the obvious growth McConaughey had on the show directly lead to the casting decisions for S2. Farrell was following a similar career path as McConaughey but has had much more success, so I won't include him. But the rest of the main cast leveraged the show for that "growth".

While season3 and it's artsy cowardice achieved nothing, Dorff leveraging his role into a primetime lead show is hard to deny, and similar to McConaughey. And it's obviously impossible for anyone to accurately predict the future, but suggesting Mcconaughey's backlog is some dark drama philosophical vibe is fucking hysterically stupid and sounds like an opinion generated by contrarian-ism and totally guided by historical revisionism. I like that wiki snippet you clipped, at least you didn't waste a time of my not so precious hours reading that hot garbage. Not surprisingly, cig has the ability like Omni to generate opinions solely based off a collection of other people. This was fun to talk media again, thanks everyone involved.

You fuckers really spent a full page discussing Matthew McConaughey's career decisions instead of discussing Severance or Better Call Saul or some other amazing TV airing right now. Smh.

Reactions: CiG
AncientSecondaryAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

Apple TV has been producing some fascinating original programming in trying to make a name for themselves. It's also cheaper than their competitors (for now.) Not a bad deal if you have some aversion to piracy.

lol my original comment was also intended as a teacherly "you both make good points" remark, and then i think you and i started having a different discussion yet within the framework of the reformation topic. I don't agree that TD is the place actors go to reform themselves. I do think TD is a signal moment in MM's career specifically and probably the most widely acknowledged element in his transformation. For what it's worth, i feel like i do see it as more of a transformation and less as something toward which he was always trending than you do.

if there is an actor who used TD to transform themselves, i could be swayed that MM is that actor. don't buy that the show as a whole is a reformation machine, though.

Always trending towards? I said the trend started in the 2010's.

I only pointed out his 90's work to highlight that he's not been wholly adverse to darker roles. The trajectory started with The Lincoln Lawyer though and this is backed up by the man himself.

but suggesting Mcconaughey's backlog is some dark drama philosophical vibe is fucking hysterically stupid and sounds like an opinion generated by contrarian-ism and totally guided by historical revisionism.

Never happened. All I said was True Detective was part of a trend started by The Lincoln Lawyer of Matthew chasing down more and more dramatic roles, and the Wiki quote backs this up 100%.

You're both placing more importance on True Detective because it was a huge hit, but if it had flopped it would've just been another dark/dramatic credit in his 2010's filmog.

And he's chosen much lighter/safer roles since the show, so again, not a reformation.

Third season of The Boys seems to be delivering so far. Homelander becoming more and more unhinged is wild. Antony Starr is really becoming a super hero losing his grip on reality. He’s actually terrifying and he’s amazing.

Reactions: CiG