The Official Good Television Thread

I saw 2 or 3 episodes, didn't really like it. It's been a while so I don't remember my issues with specificity but I thought that beyond the amazing premise it seemed very bland. Main character's literally a divorced cop with substance abuse issues etc.

Tuesdays have been awesome lately. In the afternoon a new episode of We Own This City drops, which is the new show by the writers of The Wire about the corruption of Baltimore's Gun Trace Task Force, with the killing of and riots for Freddy Gray back in 2015 as the centrepiece of the story. It's like 5 episodes deep so far.

Then at night a new episode of BCS. Pretty sure last night's was the last for a couple of months though. They're dropping it in half-season portions iirc. :cry:

Kinda fishing around for a show to binge right now. Something that isn't a silly comedy anyways.

Started Freddy's Nightmares recently. If they would have been able to show a bit more violence and actual nudity I really think they would have had something here. Lori Petty doing her best Gillian Anderson was doing it for me too. (I'd fight aug for a butterfly kiss on either's butthole) But the cameos in general are fuckin awesome.

lori petty.jpg
Vrer.gif
mariska.jpg
geof.jpg
larpark.jpg

Last edited:
Yup! Holy shit.

I'm still shook by that shit.

"It's funny because to me, I'm just on this legal drama about lawyers with emotional problems. Then I watch the finished product and I'm like, 'who are these gangsters?' 'what's all this gunplay?' it's a unique experience."

- Patrick Fabian

We've had terrible fates for deserving and undeserving characters in Breaking Bad, but at the end of the day that show was fully a vicious crime thriller so I was primed to expect things to go south for anyone. But BCS? The show often felt like two separate shows splitting the same airtime; one a legal drama and one a cartel crime thriller. And those two shows just intersected in the most devastating way, with dire consequences for the most stable and straight-laced character (cocaine addiction notwithstanding) who would never knowingly involve himself in the latter show. I'm so in awe of these writers for writing these characters so empathically for years and still remaining able to bare their teeth like this when the moment calls for it.

Last edited:
I'm still shook by that shit.

- Patrick Fabian

We've had terrible fates for deserving and undeserving characters in Breaking Bad, but at the end of the day that show was fully a vicious crime thriller so I was primed to expect things to go south for anyone. But BCS? The show often felt like two separate shows splitting the same airtime; one a legal drama and one a cartel crime thriller. And those two shows just intersected in the most devastating way, with dire consequences for the most stable and straight-laced character (heroin addiction notwithstanding) who would never knowingly involve himself in the latter show. I'm so in awe of these writers for writing these characters so empathically for years and still remaining able to bare their teeth like this when the moment calls for it.

Well said! The viewer sympathy arc for HH was genius. Starting off as a misdirect for the fact that Chuck was the real antagonist and then slowly turning us from hate for him to sympathy for him, to this? *chef's kiss*

My bet is that the murder of HH is going to play a key role in why Kim isn't in BB. What they did directly caused the death of an innocent man, and my theory has always been that Kim goes into hiding via Ed the Disappearer. This might be why.

Also, heroin addiction? Am I forgetting something from earlier seasons?

Misty in particular might be my favorite TV character of recent years. Hail to the Goddess, the Goddess of Doom!

View attachment 30019

Finally started watching Yellowjackets over the weekend (late af as usual) and I just wanted to second this post. I'm only 6 episodes in, but Misty is such a... character. :tickled:

This might be premature and blasphemous but I feel like Juliette Lewis is miscast.

Edit: finished Yellowjackets last night. Can't wait for season 2, what a wild ride. Day off today so I checked out a few episodes of Brand New Cherry Flavor. Pretty fucked up, even some weird 80's Cronenberg body horror vibes.

That sex scene in episode 4...

wow-lisa-nova.gif

Last edited:
i watched season 2 of russian doll, it had its moments but was largely disappointing. tried to do this pseudo-dark thing but it just felt way too plotty and convoluted, and the alan stuff was even more of a bland aside (for an already bland character). without the tightly wound small-scale premise of s1, the self-satisfied hipster writing and lame kooky side-characters were more grating as well. i'm surprised i seem to be in the minority on this, i'm 50/50 about continuing with any future season.

also finally got on the queen's gambit. my concern was that no amount of chess would be able to elevate a mediocre period drama, but it turns out that no amount of mediocre drama (it's not so bad in fairness, fairly understated) can drag down a killer chess prodigy story. having grown up for over 30 years watching godawful representation after godawful representation of chess in tv and movies (there's an atrocious example in s2 of russian doll, incidentally), it's incredibly refreshing to see a show actually fucking taking it seriously, and impressive that they managed to frame actual chess games in a way that's exciting for people who know nothing about chess.

there's still a few missteps and eyerolls here and there, but also many flickers of recognition from my own chess upbringing--i've enjoyed a lot of little accurate details that i assume most people would miss. i love that she behaves exactly like all the annoying fucking kids i've played against, playing too quickly and aggressively, constantly staring at you, getting up and wandering around between moves, all of that shit is totally accurate and also makes me want her to lose lol (thankfully i usually stomp the dumbfuck kids i play against). anyway, seeing a chess show blow up with the normies was even more surreal than when GoT normiefied epic fantasy; maybe now i can impress girls with my modest chess exploits?

i'm gonna try to finish that this weekend, as well as watch the new norm special of course. i'm back on my tv shit and want to catch up with the last couple years. in terms of newish shows, currently on my watchlist are severance, yellowjackets, the midnight mass, the north water, invincible, ted lasso, s2 of the terror. any other high priority recs?

Reactions: Vegard Pompey