The Official Good Television Thread

and honestly
thought you would have noticed this based on my comments in the movie threads

5zus.gif

Reactions: CiG
in the Watchmen comic, it totally looks like Drieberg has his dick inside Laurie at the moment Rorschach dies
this was already freaking me the fuck out before anyone ever said anything about a "watchmen movie"

in the movie Drieberg actually watches Rorschach die
and his reaction to it is perfectly done

I quite liked s2 myself.

I need to rewatch it, but my reaction on first viewing wasn’t positive. I couldn’t find a way to appreciate Vaughn’s performance, which dragged the whole thing down. And I didn’t feel like the overall arc was suspenseful enough.

The shootout scene was good though.

I need to rewatch it, but my reaction on first viewing wasn’t positive. I couldn’t find a way to appreciate Vaughn’s performance, which dragged the whole thing down. And I didn’t feel like the overall arc was suspenseful enough.

The shootout scene was good though.

Damn. Definitely rewatch it, I think it's worth it. I had a pretty low opinion of VV before watching it, and it pretty much flipped that.

I think the show's problem was going from something rich with symbolism and mystery, playing with the audience's fetish for serial killer true crime elements, the setting itself was as much a character as the actors were etc etc in s1 into a comparatively pretty standard police drama.

They primed the audience to be underwhelmed.

I love TD s02, it's probably the best take on neo-noir I've seen in television. It's not perfect by any means; I think Rust's monologues made sense in s01 because they were an expression of his character, but when several characters in s02 got Rust-esque monologues it started to feel like an attribute of Pizzolatto's writing. But it's a great "urban" counterpart to the "rural" s01, exploring the same themes of insurmountable corruption in a different milieu. People gave it shit for being confusing when it first aired, but I think that was very much deliberate. True to the tradition of film noir, none of the characters have enough information to know what is going on and everyone is just fumbling around in this warren of institutional corruption. I didn't entirely make sense of the plot until my 2nd viewing.

For what it's worth, I'm ambivalent towards Vince Vaughn's dramatic turn; my enjoyment of the season does not hinge on that.

OK both of you have inspired me to give it a second try, whenever the hell time allows.

re. Vaughn’s character, a lot of it had to do (for me) with the fact that they gave him Rust-ish monologues. Not only was it out of character, I don’t think he had the gravitas to pull that off. It’s such a theatrical style of writing/performance that if not done well it comes off as melodrama.

Reactions: CiG
Cig and vegard haven't said shit about the horrible Colin Farrell storyline or the gay state trooper dude. I don't remember anything positive outside of Rachel McAdams, and even then wasn't great. Save your time Ein!!!