The Official Good Television Thread

Been watching this lately, think I have two eps to go
(Big Daddy just got shot)
S1 was probably better than S2, but the siblings infighting is bloody hilarious, made funnier because all three of them are dumbarses.

• Love
Reactions: CiG
Somewhat apathetically finished up the rather slow second season of Yellowjackets and I thought the fairly maligned season finale was... kind of amazing?

"We've been here for years..." hit me like a ton of bricks. Wasn't even that fond of the character.

Love the new additions to the cast too - Elijah Wood's character is hilarious, and adult Van is some pretty spot-on casting. The show does feel like it's spinning its wheels a lot of the time, but the character writing is consistently excellent.

Watched the last episode of the Righteous Gemstones and felt a little ripped off. It's a good series but finale seemed to wrap up everything up in a neat little bow too quickly.

Two big series finales today: Barry and Succession. Thoughts on each:

I've always been somewhat on the fence with Barry; I think it's kind of amazing when it's fully in thriller territory, but I also find its style of comedy really cringe and some of the arthouse touches don't work at all. I found the fan-favorite "experimental" episode of s02 to be absolutely dreadful, so I guess I've always been a bit at odds with the people who really love this show. Having said that, I thought they absolutely hit it out of the park with a perfect, series-elevating finale. I've been thinking about it all day and I don't know that I'd change a single scene. All in all I guess I'd have to give this series a 4/5, it's easy to forgive the parts that don't work when the whole thing is so incredibly briskly paced.

I hope I can be kinder on the Succession finale in hindsight, but my immediate thoughts are that... it seemed like a total fucking nothingburger of an episode? The show's always been at its best when they dress down these characters and reveal them for the broken husks they are inside, but this 90-minute episode felt like it had nothing on its mind besides the question of "who's gonna run the company?" And aside from that question being answered, nothing about this felt like a wrap-up. So many character arcs end in the exact same places we've seen them many times before. And that final scene lol, it almost feels like a fucking parody how hard Nicholas Britell's score was trying to lend gravitas to a fucking guy sitting on a bench and gazing out at the ocean. What a complete fucking whiff of an ending to an otherwise strong season and series.

i will go back to barry at some point. i watched the pilot and found the theatre group stuff and general tone so offputting i didn't continue with it, but i don't like ever dismissing acclaimed shows based on one episode.

Somewhat apathetically finished up the rather slow second season of Yellowjackets and I thought the fairly maligned season finale was... kind of amazing?

"We've been here for years..." hit me like a ton of bricks. Wasn't even that fond of the character.

Love the new additions to the cast too - Elijah Wood's character is hilarious, and adult Van is some pretty spot-on casting. The show does feel like it's spinning its wheels a lot of the time, but the character writing is consistently excellent.

I was disappointed with S2, although it had its moments. My main concerns had to do with what I thought were killer images dangled in S1 that failed to find even a mention in S2, e.g.
the man with no eyes and the person Jackie saw in the cabin when she died, who said "welcome home" or something like that
. I'm not saying I wanted those things resolved or explained (I realize the writers have said they have a five-season arc planned), but when details like that get dropped for an entire season it makes me wonder whether the writers have a sense of their narrative relevance.

True, the only reason I wasn't bothered by things like that is I don't actually remember s01 all that well.

• Haha
First episode of Levinson's new show The Idol dropped.
I liked it, I was especially hooked about halfway through. The Weeknd plays a mysterious creep rather well.

Mostly I've been watching my way through Ash vs Evil Dead again. Season 2 was kinda mid, even by the show's standards, but every so often an episode will go full 80's Peter Jackson and just be a retarded horror comedy splatterfest which is cool.

Now I'm on season 3 which is new ground. I only own the first 2 DVDs. Seems like they're going full Army of Darkness now, messing around with time travel.

Outside of a few scenes that were faithfully recreated from flashbacks in The Sopranos, The Many Saints of Newark is the definition of a worthless TV spin-off movie. Miscast across the board and totally lacking in any of the show's spirit.

I honestly regret watching it, worse than adding nothing it detracted from the legacy, which is rare.
I heard about how bad it is and never watched it. Glad I didn't.
Curious, who was everybody's favourite character(s) in The Sopranos?
Tony really. Probably a boring choice but fuck what a character. I also rate Paulie and Junior but there are so many good characters in it that are perfectly cast. I'm also a big fan of Janice. She's so impressively horrible. Carmela also.

Glad you dug the the ending btw, of all the golden age of tv endings, it's my fave by far.

Yeah it was a bad move. Luckily Dark s1 was a treat the first time, so I don't mind.

I've been sick and couch-slouching the last week, so I was able to fully catch up on Yellowstone, finish Ash vs Evil Dead, finish The Idol, and finish all the new Witcher episodes with my brother. Now I'm just kinda aimlessly looking for things to watch as if I don't already have a "to watch" list half a mile long.

I started The Wire all over again as a fallback show. Thinking of finally starting either Succession or Fargo.

Yeah it was a bad move. Luckily Dark s1 was a treat the first time, so I don't mind.

I've been sick and couch-slouching the last week, so I was able to fully catch up on Yellowstone, finish Ash vs Evil Dead, finish The Idol, and finish all the new Witcher episodes with my brother. Now I'm just kinda aimlessly looking for things to watch as if I don't already have a "to watch" list half a mile long.

I started The Wire all over again as a fallback show. Thinking of finally starting either Succession or Fargo.
S2 is a tough watch. It's going to make you want to see the third season and that kind of ruined the show for me. Wish they stopped after 2. Stay strong and ignorant of the third season 🙏

• Haha