The Official Good Television Thread

Finished Ahsoka and The Continental over the week. Both shows had final episodes with clear intentions of ending with epic action, but I found both slightly underwhelming.

Ahsoka because the actors clearly couldn't rise to the demands the choreography needed, so the fights looked tame, impotent and slow. This was an issue throughout the season whenever Natasha Liu Bordizzo or especially Rosario Dawson did fights.

The Continental because of the techniques the editor used, where they'd randomly speed up the moments between strikes to make it look more intense, but unless I'm misremembering they only did that for the final episode. Not very Wick-esque at all.

:suspicious:

I implore anyone who watches Star Trek to watch Picard S3. I know I go autismo about it often but I legit cried at the last two episodes. Brought me back to my childhood.

Watched a Pommie show called A Touch Of Cloth this weekend.
It's a complete piss take of cop shows in the style of Naked Gun/Police Files.
It's only 3 eps (6 TV eps) but I didn't know the Pom's, who are usually better at comedy than the Yanks, ever did piss takes this well.

i saw at least some of it yeah, i think it got some deadwood comps at the time. it also got cancelled before it could really get going though iirc, like a lot of unusual shows did back then.

Reactions: CiG
Finished the first season of Succession tonight. This show is definitely as good as its hype would suggest. What a collection of irredeemable cunts.

Finished the first season of Succession tonight. This show is definitely as good as its hype would suggest. What a collection of irredeemable cunts.

Interesting, I remember the first season clearly siding with the non patriarch (whatever his name was), while the rest of the family were a bunch of losers, still intended to be sympathetic to them

Interesting, I remember the first season clearly siding with the non patriarch (whatever his name was), while the rest of the family were a bunch of losers, still intended to be sympathetic to them
Of all the characters Kendall is definitely the most sympathetic so far, but still a massive douche. He's just not malicious like the rest I suppose. What happens in the season finale with that male servant was pretty fucked, if you remember.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Of all the characters Kendall is definitely the most sympathetic so far, but still a massive douche. He's just not malicious like the rest I suppose. What happens in the season finale with that male servant was pretty fucked, if you remember.
I did forget, but might go back to it one day..

They're all various degrees of shit, but I thought Tom was the most sympathetic in the first season. He seemed like someone who really just wants to be a mild-mannered wife guy but ends up poorly LARPing an asshole to try and fit into the toxic culture of high finance.

They're all various degrees of shit, but I thought Tom was the most sympathetic in the first season. He seemed like someone who really just wants to be a mild-mannered wife guy but ends up poorly LARPing an asshole to try and fit into the toxic culture of high finance.
I disagree. Tom is spineless in the worst ways possible. How he treats Greg destroys any sympathy he could get imo. If he were doing it just to fit in you might have a point but 90% of the shit he does to Greg is not done in the open, it's just between them two, because actually Tom wants to be perceived as nice and respectable.

I watched Dark S3 after having taken a little break from watching the series. It was alright but could've been a lot better. Too much of just showing more of the same even for a time travel show. Eg. characters still living out the one plotline of finding a family member they lost 2 seasons ago. The newfangled device used at the end of S2 could've led to a much more futuristic world where fate plays out the same anyway. But I guess that'd diminish the physics angle the show was going for. I dug the mood of the show anyway.

Has anybody here watched that old HBO show Carnivàle?
That show was fucking great. It was cut right as it was about to get epic. I've read interviews with the showrunner who had some pretty big plans for the subsequent seasons. I'm pretty certain it was on around the same time period as Sopranos (later seasons), The Wire, Rome, and Deadwood (+/- a year or two). Since Sopranos was the juggernaut, I guess HBO decided to throw more money at it rather than big productions like Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale. Shame...

I disagree. Tom is spineless in the worst ways possible. How he treats Greg destroys any sympathy he could get imo. If he were doing it just to fit in you might have a point but 90% of the shit he does to Greg is not done in the open, it's just between them two, because actually Tom wants to be perceived as nice and respectable.
I can't wait for you to finish the series.

Kendall might not be actively malicious, but he's passively malicious. I'm not sure it's better, but it does garner more sympathy somehow (although he's cringey as fuck).

TV2023BEST.jpg
Favourite TV of 2023:
1. Gen V
2. Copenhagen Cowboy
3. The Last of Us
4. The Mandalorian (season 3)
5. Swarm
6. Dead Ringers
7. Special Ops: Lioness
8. Boiling Point
9. Lawmen: Bass Reeves
10. Dark Winds (season 2)

Dropping this a bit early, because the only shows I have left to finish are a) too far off finishing (eg Succession) and b) I know won't make the list anyway (eg The Bear). Season 2 of Yellowjackets completely killed my drive to finish the show. Juliette Lewis is the biggest miscasting in recent memory. The second seasons of Invincible and Reacher aren't included because only like half the episodes have been released in 2023.

Favourite Performances:
1. Rachel Weisz in Dead Ringers
2. Dominique Fishback in Swarm
3. Lily-Rose Depp in The Idol
4. Laysla de Oliveira in Special Ops: Lioness
5. Vinette Robinson in Boiling Point

(All women! It's a pure coincidence!)

Sounds like a pretty dire year for television to be honest. Half of those I don't want to see (except TLoU which I guess I should finish) and the other half I've never heard anyone mention.

I liked Silo and Barry from this year. On my backlog I have Slow Horses, Pantheon, Castlevania: Nocturne and the new Flanagan thing. And I guess I'll give the new Fargo a chance just for the cast alone.