THE one most disappointing moment of any Opeth song.

IanDork107 said:
I'd say that For Absent Friends is the most disappointing moment. It just does nothing for the album.
I don't know about that... I think it provides the successful transition between "A Fair Judgement" and the beginning of "Master's Apprentices." Without that little instrumental in the middle, the shift would have been too jarring...

I'd have to say that the most disappointing single moment in an Opeth song is in BWP when we hit the halfway mark in the mellow interlude--at that point I realize how damn too long it is. It's meant as a calm before the storm, but to me it's more like a long snooze before the storm. I agree that in theory it should build tension but I'm always fast forwarding over it. Bugs me every time. It should be exactly half as long, and then it would be perfect. Or else do something interesting with the second half, layer a new melody over it or something.

John Gargo said:
I'll say it again... Good song, but it just doesn't match up to the standards of everything else Opeth have done (excluding a few of the acoustic interludes). To say something positive about it, the introduction is absolutely beautiful (as is the ending).

AH HA!!! you need the Bumblefoot Edit of the song! it is only the beginning and end! no heavy middle! AND IT IS GOOD!! FUCK YOU TO ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO DONT THINK SO!!! way better as a mellow song. hehe

I was always under the impression that Opeth deliberately take ages with mellow parts sometimes because they want to build a mood and create an emotional soundscape, and as such, I give them my patience every time. Repetition is music's most important and powerful necessity.

I loved BWP the first time I heard it, even after the sonic limp that is The Funeral Portrait before it.

LiB said:
the song blackwater park, it starts off REALLY amazing for the first few minutes, then all of a sudden the climatic orgasm i was planning to have it cuts into a quiet acoustic bit and it lasts for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES, then cuts back into the heavy part, i always have to skip 5 minutes when i listen to that song or i just die of boredom.

exactly...just what i was gonna say

squeegee your third eye said:
I'd have to say that the most disappointing single moment in an Opeth song is in BWP when we hit the halfway mark in the mellow interlude--at that point I realize how damn too long it is. It's meant as a calm before the storm, but to me it's more like a long snooze before the storm. I agree that in theory it should build tension but I'm always fast forwarding over it. Bugs me every time. It should be exactly half as long, and then it would be perfect. Or else do something interesting with the second half, layer a new melody over it or something.

LiB said:
the song blackwater park, it starts off REALLY amazing for the first few minutes, then all of a sudden the climatic orgasm i was planning to have it cuts into a quiet acoustic bit and it lasts for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES, then cuts back into the heavy part, i always have to skip 5 minutes when i listen to that song or i just die of boredom.

yep yep yep hear hear!

Has anyone else noticed that Opeth have an unusaly large amount of songs that end right around the turn of the minute (ie :00 :01 :59 ect.) Do you think they go in and say "This will be a nine minute song," cuz it seems a little odd. Its off topic but...

crimsonfloyd said:
Has anyone else noticed that Opeth have an unusaly large amount of songs that end right around the turn of the minute (ie :00 :01 :59 ect.) Do you think they go in and say "This will be a nine minute song," cuz it seems a little odd. Its off topic but...
Ha... I've noticed this too, but I don't think it's deliberate. When someone asked Mikael how they go about writing such long songs, he said that they have no idea how long a song will be until they record it...

LiB said:
granted, i have nothing against breaks that prelude the sound of a massive riff...but five minutes? come on i could go away have a shit make some coffee come back again and still have enough time to write about how boring this bit is. its almost half the song total.

It all depends on how you hear and interpret the length. For example, "Falling Unknown" by Neurosis (my favorite song by one of my favorite bands) clocks in at about 13 minutes total.... and the song contains a 6 minute buildup that is slow and repetitive, yet it is brilliant and trance inducing... it gets louder and more layered with every second, and I actually wish it was longer. Point is that when I am listening to such an epic song with a long soft part, I like to get lost in it all... length certainly helps out. The key word: lost. I've found that the best way to listen to such songs is to be half asleep. (first time I heard Falling Unknown I was half asleep, best musical moment in my life ever)

Geez, all the BWP bashing. Just for clarification, btw, that mellow part everyone bitches about in BWP is only from 2:40 to 5:10... two and a half minutes isn't all that long, and nowhere near half of a 12-minute song.

To me, that transition and the following megaton riff kicking in and rattling everything in my house is well worth two and a half minutes of anticipation. In the right mood it still sends chills through me. ;P

I'd have to say (OMFG I am gonna get flamed...) the worst moment is the chorus of White Cluster. *uggh* Gawd, it just annoys me.

LiB said:

The clean part in BWP is one of my favorite mellow parts of Opeth!!

The song itself is one of their best in my opinion.

Demonspell said:
I love the clean section of Blackwater Park, it provides an ethereal counterpoint to the savageness of the remainder of the song, and the transition back into the heavy section is incredible...

Yes. :)