The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

If you've been here for longer than 2 years try to at least act as though you've been here more than 5 minutes.

also i don't care who you are, it's the internet

Not sure which song, but it would definetly be something by Darkthrone. They're the standard black metal band for me since they lack the symphonic elements of Nokturnal Mortum and the ambient leanings of Burzum.

There is very much that is ambient about Darkthrone, but I think I understand what you're getting at.

Indeed. Last 2 mins of Hedninger Fra Helvete is a good example.

I must admit, I find the amount of Emperor references in this thread to be hilarious, and that's considering I love them as much as any Black Metal enthusiast does. However, I do strongly feel that Emperor do NOT represent Black Metal as a whole, were a song by one band to do so. They are VERY off the mark for that kind of hypothetical description. Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, early Immortal is where it's at. Emperor is the result of most of those mentioned bands having made a few releases already. Referencing Emperor to this topic is about as relevant as say, Xasthur.

Indeed. Last 2 mins of Hedninger Fra Helvete is a good example.

I must admit, I find the amount of Emperor references in this thread to be hilarious, and that's considering I love them as much as any Black Metal enthusiast does. However, I do strongly feel that Emperor do NOT represent Black Metal as a whole, were a song by one band to do so. They are VERY off the mark for that kind of hypothetical description. Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, early Immortal is where it's at. Emperor is the result of most of those mentioned bands having made a few releases already. Referencing Emperor to this topic is about as relevant as say, Xasthur.

Except that the thread title encourages us to voice our personal preference, rather than more objectively identify a song that embodies the general Black Metal aesthetic, which is itself very difficult to pinpoint given the breadth of the genre.

I chose Emperor because they represent the kind of Black Metal I like the most, that being symphonic, aggressive and transcendent of genre boundaries. I love all forms of Black Metal, but what I just listed is the form I prefer, not necessarily the total embodiment of the genre.