The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

Yeah, he is.

There are probably a lot of new members here since you've last visited, since you said you've been away for some time. You should reserve your judgments on the tastes of this forum's members, since a good deal of new arrivals might share some of your preferences.

Don't bother reasoning with him, he's a troll

No I'm just being myself I have no intentions of trolling. What's wrong with being myself...

hah, yeah he can wait until the masses of christian rockers come pouring in

The only christian rock band I like is Anberlin. I don't listen to the stuff most christians listen to.

Yeah, he is.

There are probably a lot of new members here since you've last visited, since you said you've been away for some time. You should reserve your judgments on the tastes of this forum's members, since a good deal of new arrivals might share some of your preferences.

Your right... blah. I'll just sit back and observe so that way I can remember who's taste of music sucks and who's doesn't. So far the only member's musical taste that I don't remember liking is Ozzman and Thrash's taste but w/e. I'll be quiet now.

And for me as well Emperor stands as the epitome of black metal. I know there have been people on this thread who challenged their legitimacy to such a title; but I feel that they best encompass the mixture of traditional black metal with more mature and melodic tenets such as symphonic elements. For me, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is the most essential black metal. I enjoy Nightside as well, but Anthems is just phenomenal; a black metal masterpiece.

:cool:

As mentioned before, Transylvanian Hunger would work. Also: Mayhem - Funeral Fog. It's stylistically as pure black metal as Transylvanian Hunger. But furthermore, it (and that whole CD, for that matter) can't be classed into a subcategory such as raw or minimalistic bm; it's just pure black metal. Lyrically that whole album sticks to traditional subject matter (death/evil) as opposed to the nordic pride crap that was commonplace in bm soon after the album was released. I'd be hard pressed to think of a song (well, actually an album, as you could pretty much substitute most songs on that album for it) more representative of black metal.

And for me as well Emperor stands as the epitome of black metal. I know there have been people on this thread who challenged their legitimacy to such a title; but I feel that they best encompass the mixture of traditional black metal with more mature and melodic tenets such as symphonic elements. For me, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is the most essential black metal. I enjoy Nightside as well, but Anthems is just phenomenal; a black metal masterpiece.
To me black metal isn't so much a style of music in terms of riff structure and such as an aesthetic, and ITNE represents the pinnacle of that aesthetic to me - raw, dark, and epic. Atmospheric but intense. And fucking evil. To me, good black metal is stuff that could be put over the Mordor scenes from LOTR and fit perfectly. Of course, I'm probably missing the point, but this is what black metal is to me. This is why I tend to prefer symphonic bm to the really grinding tr00 stuff like Marduk.

i think mayhem (except dmds and oac) kinda sounds like a bunch of suck
Grand Declaration Of War is my favorite from them, but I'm really not a big fan - it seems to me like everything that's good about them has been done better by other bands.

yeah, i mean i agree. if we are gonna go in this direction we may as well change the subject to "what was the first black metal band".
Bathory.
So we're done with that.

Don't bother reasoning with him, he's a troll
And, if I remember correctly, a total idiot.

1349 can hardly be describe as representative of the genre. They're okay, but they haven't done anything other bands haven't already done better

and they still kick more ass then most BM bands no matter old nor new. but to answer the topic:

Emperor - Cosmic keys to my creations and times:worship:

You're right, it is opinion; but what differs between the two is their place in the history of black metal.

Mayhem were one of the originators of black metal. They established their own sound.

1349 sound like any other band from the second wave, but they came years afterwards.

EDIT: @Lord Kur

ALSO... I'm not trying to dissuade anyone away from 1349. They are a good band; just not extremely original.

i have come to a mosst genius resolution to this...

1349's cover of buried by time and dust :OMG:

though personally, id have to say emperor's loss and curse of reverence :worship:

there was nothing to resolve. if the guy thinks that 1349 represents black metal the best to him then that is his opinion and it's not something that can be argued.

No one will when it's purely a matter of personal taste as this is...there's no accounting for taste (Zeph gets points if he can remember the Latin phrase for this).