The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

I'd also throw out there that Samael's The Cross also represents what I think should be the lyrical aspiration for black metal. :cool: That song gives me fucking chills.

But that's not really a Black Metal song. Give me something off of Ceremony of Opposites like "Baphomet's Throne" and the title track.

Baphomet's Throne is a great song; but I wasn't really implying that The Cross is a black metal song. I only meant that lyrically it represents what I think black metal lyrics should aspire to.

I suppose. I ought to crack open the booklet for that album sometime. Musically, it's one of my favorites. Every track on that album is truly amazing, and with such a unique vibe.

Darkthrone - Over Fjell Og Giennom Torne or Spite Extreme Wing - Reminescenza di illusione lunare...

I can't represent black metal with just 1 song.So,my picks-

Hellhammer-Triumph of death
Mayhem-Freezing moon/Funeral fog
Burzum-Dunkelheit
Darkthrone-A blaze in the northern sky
Immortal-A Perfect Vision of the Rising Northland
Drudkh-Blood

Too bad it's a death metal song, eh?

haha, your not the first to say that, i guess i just associate it with black metal for some reason, i really can't think up another track which captures black metal for me, i'd go with something by wolves in the throne room, i'm slaying that album recently, but it'd be a lie, it doesnt really sum up much for me haha, my back up plan would have to be under the sign of hell by gorgoroth, black metal enough for you sir?

haha, your not the first to say that, i guess i just associate it with black metal for some reason, i really can't think up another track which captures black metal for me, i'd go with something by wolves in the throne room, i'm slaying that album recently, but it'd be a lie, it doesnt really sum up much for me haha, my back up plan would have to be under the sign of hell by gorgoroth, black metal enough for you sir?

Sure, that Gorgoroth song certainly is black metal. Soulside Journey is imo a fucking amazing album, but it's pure proto-technical death metal, not part of the BM 2nd wave scene at all. The structures twist and turn, time signatures change, vocals are much deeper a lot of the time, and there's none of the tremolo-picked continuity present in Darkthrone's albums after that to associate it much with BM other than bearing the Darkthrone name.

Getting back on topic...

I've got several songs, all from classic Norwegian bands.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

This is easily the most expansive, enormous song in black metal's history. I've been listening to that song, and that album, for eight years, and it still gives me chills to this day.

Darkthrone - Kaatharian Life Code

No doubt one of the heaviest bm songs of all time. I remember listening to this song on my computer when I was still living at home. My father walked into the room while the intro was playing and immediately exclaimed, "What the hell are you listening to? It sounds suhtanic (I'm from the south)." That's the whole point, Dadz, that's the whole point.

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

I was fourteen when I discovered this band and, more specifically, this song. It scared the living shit out of me. This is easily one of the most ghastly, haunting songs I've ever heard in my life. Fucking mandatory.

Emperor - With Strength I Burn

I've noticed that the word "epic" gets tossed around alot with regard to certain strains of metal, but never has it been more pertinent than with this song. "With Strength I Burn" is cinematic. The middle of the song alone is worth the price of admission.