The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

FUCK.
So many to pick from.
But my idea of black metal is of course dependent on the first Black Metal I ever heard - Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse. That album itself represents what black metal should be to me.
And so I must go with the first song from that album.

Emperor - Into The Infinity of Thoughts

Runners up:
Enter The Eternal Fire
I Am The Black Wizards
Transilvanian Hunger

No love for dear old 1349 eh? I think if I would have dived deeper into the popular Black Metal acts such as Mayhem, Burzum or the almighty Emperor i would have chosen one of their works...not that i haven't ever heard or owned any of their stuff. Good thing I stated what Black Metal was to ME or else I'd probably be subjected to some serious internet cruelty, because we all know thats the worst kind:)

But still, good song. And musically does represent the original ideas of the second wave (which is really the first wave of that which is called black metal).

:)

True. Just thought it was funny that you posted an "Unblack" metal song. :cool:

Enter The Eternal Fire

Enter The Eternal Fire

I was definitely considering this song. Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark stands tall as a landmark of black metal for me.

or the almighty Emperor

But my idea of black metal is of course dependent on the first Black Metal I ever heard - Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse. That album itself represents what black metal should be to me. And so I must go with the first song from that album.

And for me as well Emperor stands as the epitome of black metal. I know there have been people on this thread who challenged their legitimacy to such a title; but I feel that they best encompass the mixture of traditional black metal with more mature and melodic tenets such as symphonic elements. For me, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is the most essential black metal. I enjoy Nightside as well, but Anthems is just phenomenal; a black metal masterpiece.

i'm a 1349 fan. their whole discography is pretty great. i don't understand why they get so much hate here.

well that describes every single band ever
No it doesn't. I think you can make a far stronger case for Darkthrone, Burzum, Enslaved (although I personally don't care for them), or even Emperor as being black metal of the highest and most representative quality than you could for 1349. Hell even in terms of Norsecore styled BM bands I'd take Marduk over 1349

i'd take marduk over 1349, too. but the point is it's all personal taste and opinion. the dude is allowed to think 1349 sums up black metal perfection for himself. i think mayhem (except dmds and oac) kinda sounds like a bunch of suck

You're right, it is opinion; but what differs between the two is their place in the history of black metal.

Mayhem were one of the originators of black metal. They established their own sound.

1349 sound like any other band from the second wave, but they came years afterwards.

EDIT: @Lord Kur

ALSO... I'm not trying to dissuade anyone away from 1349. They are a good band; just not extremely original.

haha, his opinion on what band he likes is wrong.

anyways, as of today my black metal epitome is "necromantion" by legion of doom

1349 formed in 1997. not so many years later, really

yeah, i mean i agree. if we are gonna go in this direction we may as well change the subject to "what was the first black metal band".

As I said, I don't want to dissuade anyone. It's just my personal opinion that a band like Mayhem would hold more sway over 1349 because of the fact that they were one of the pioneers. If someone wanted to say that 1349 was their epitome of black metal, it seems as though they could just as easily actually choose a band from the second wave.

But this is my opinion; I'm only saying why I don't think that 1349 have legitimacy.

he probably just likes 1349 more than mayhem. it's totally understandable in my opinion. this topic would really suck if everyone just listed freezing moon.

If you've been here for longer than 2 years try to at least act as though you've been here more than 5 minutes.

also i don't care who you are, it's the internet

I've had plenty of experiance here and I have discovered that most of the members here have a crappy taste of music. So yes I have been here for about 2 years or so.

And I've been away for a long time, is Nec still around?

Edit: I don't like 1349 either, they just seem to plain for a black metal band although not in the same substance as Burzum.