the only reason why katatonia won't ever be chart breakers...

BloodySwan said:
Oh come ooon!!! No need to feel offended! You're completely exaggerating!
And by the way I did not say that I don't like them musically... did I? And I did not say that they aren't cool guys... did I? Though I was quite annoyed and disappointed by their shows [I was speaking of the attitude on stage] I had absolutely no problems with them personally... and you're right, they're nice and down to earth... private.
I think I just stepped into the trap I always thought about... it depends on how high a band is on demand [?] in which country... over here LC are somehow worn out [which was easy to see on last years tour with Moonspell, Poisonblack and Passenger]... maybe their next release will change that... and Katatonia are (well) known. And where you live it's the opposite so I see ... it may have made sense to put both together... but not over here (;
But that's no surprise... I'm so totally up in clouds ... *hehe*

Ok then, the difference here is the USA and Germany. I am sure Katatonia will have no problem filling venues in Germany. When Katatonia played one show in the US only 100 - 150 people were there to see it. That needs to change. :)

What I would really love to see is Peaceville have My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Novembre, and Madder Mortem tour together.

We had that combination last summer, yet we didn't care about Sentenced.. Relativity... And also we watched Opeth 2 summers ago, which was a little bit short. Opeth & Katatonia would be just like an azure dream...

Peaceville doesn't give a fuck about the US, which hurts Katatonia so much. Katatonia needs to complete their five record contract ASAP and switch labels.

I can't see any reason why Katatonia wouldn't be able to do as good in the US as a band like Porcupine Tree, for example. As it was said before, it has a lot to do with promotion. If someone would just make an attempt to get Katatonia regular airplay on some known US radio-stations like PT did, then I think that their popularity would surely skyrocket, to use a cliched term. In regards to Porcupine Tree, their song "Shallow" was played a lot on various rock radio stations all over the Chicagoland/Milwaukee area, and I think that helped them, because their Oct. 11 Chicago show was completely sold out. And because of this they had to schedule ANOTHER Chicago date the next night so people would be able to see them (they were supposed to have an off-night). Radio play can definitely help.

I've been playing Katatonia for a lot of people lately and everyone seems to love them. I don't think it has anything to do with how depressing the band is, which some people have commented on, it's just that nobody has any idea who they are! There is a "market" for ALL types of bands, whether they are more upbeat or totally depressing. Look at some of these metal/metalcore bands that are really popular in the US now, they aren't exactly the most uplifting sounding bands to listen to and yet they are really popular. Tool, for example, is a pretty downbeat band and they are one of the most popular bands in the United States! There are also a lot of crappy downbeat emo bands in the US that are popular too (I feel ashamed talking about Katatonia and mentioning emo, lol. They have more emotion than any emo band ever will). So I don't think that Katatonia's sound has anything to do with their lack of popularity in the US.

Or maybe Katatonia doesn't even want to be all that popular, which is another thought. But I don't think that claim has a lot of value because they seem like they are a very hardworking band, and I know if I put as much effort into my songwriting as Katatonia does then I would want to get my music out to as many people as I possibly can!

There are lots of ways to help the band. Play their music for people you are hanging around with. If someone asks you what your favorite bands are, mention Katatonia and ask the person if they would like to hear them. If you have something like MySpace, add the band as one of your friends and keep them on your Top8 friends list (like I do) and add one of their songs to your profile. Send their music to some of your local radio stations and ask them to play it or.... hell, you could even get you and a bunch of your friends to continually call in and request Katatonia, even if they don't have any of their songs. If a radio station gets enough requests for a particular band then eventually someone will get curious and check the band out. Word of mouth is a great tool and can definitely help a band out.

Maybe Katatonia will never be chart-breakers, who knows. But I'm sure that they can gain the popularity of bands like Lacuna Coil, HIM, Porcupine Tree, and Opeth in the US.... if only they had better promotion!

Yeah it's a shame more people don't know about them, at the same time, that's sort of what makes them special. I mean, I'm sure they'd rather have more fans than they have now, and even to be mainstream success would be great for them financially, but again, the fact that not many people know about it makes the challenge of promoting them to friends ever more fun. Sounds lame but I get a kick out of it.

I think Katatonia will never become chart breaking band because of their musical past. If they hadn't been a doom metal band in their past days situation would be different now. Simple thought - for example they debuted with LFDGD - my think is that they will be noticed and praised by press and radio immediately. When I think of Katatonia i feel it's always somehow near to mainstream but not in the middle of it. I don't care that Katatonia is not on #1 place on billboard or sth, I like it to be like now.

The day when Katatonia breaks chart will be the day of its death...

.... And I hope they won't EVER break any charts....

It all comes down to if MTV sees them fit for the next "big" sound. There are tons of great bands like Katatonia that just don't fit into the mainstream sound of the moment so most likely they'll just be left in the cold...Anyone ever hear Deadboy and the Elephantmen? Maybe they aren't as cool now but their debut album, "If this is Hell then I'm Lucky" in my eyes almost matches anything Katatonia has ever done. They have a huge fan base in Louisiana and recognition because of Dax (Acid Bath, Agents of Oblivian), but they just don't fit into any of the mainstream sounds so they'll never blow up even if mainstream listeners would love them.

I once made a similar thread where I said I hoped they would become big. I've changed my mind since then, because I feel we already have enough caps-lock fanboys on this board.

ScottAsh said:
It all comes down to if MTV sees them fit for the next "big" sound. There are tons of great bands like Katatonia that just don't fit into the mainstream sound of the moment so most likely they'll just be left in the cold...Anyone ever hear Deadboy and the Elephantmen? Maybe they aren't as cool now but their debut album, "If this is Hell then I'm Lucky" in my eyes almost matches anything Katatonia has ever done. They have a huge fan base in Louisiana and recognition because of Dax (Acid Bath, Agents of Oblivian), but they just don't fit into any of the mainstream sounds so they'll never blow up even if mainstream listeners would love them.

Deadboy is one of my favorite bands.....basically everything Dax touches turns to gold.......I wouldnt say that anything they do "matches" Katatonia....but I get what you mean......it is unfortunate that this kind of music does not get the recognition it deserves......and I am anxious ot see what happens with Katatonias new alblum.....you never know......I dont want them to be as big as Linkin Pork or something......I would like Katatonia to be able to live comfortably from their music only.....that is the only reason I would want them to get bigger....

Im always afraid when a band brings out a new album. Im afraid if it gets picked up by music channels and overplayed (which everything usually is), it gets destroyed. And any album that comes out after is over produced and the label or producers or whoever get way too much creative control and it fucks up the origional sound and once that happens.....
And lets not forget, the music gets used in tv adverts! Imagine walking into to Burger King and "brave" is being played on the radio, instead of all the images the song brings to your mind you have a bunch of kids running around with fucking red sauce all over there faces!! I dread this day!!!!!!

jptk said:
Imagine walking into to Burger King and "brave" is being played on the radio, instead of all the images the song brings to your mind you have a bunch of kids running around with fucking red sauce all over there faces!! I dread this day!!!!!!

Well, at least there'd be some good music for a change.