The Recommend A Metal Album Thread

anyone who actually KNOWS me on here knows what im like, and what im about. and also of my opinion and stance on this forum and most of the kids in it. that speaks volumes really. regardless...i do help people with recommendations when asked, and i take pride in my knowledge/validity in doing so for people in a positive manner. if i lose "clout" or respect due to my negative rants, then i wont lose any sleep over it. trust me...life goes on as usual for me if i dont get another person into a band i like.

as for xXVaMpYrOuSszz!!"xxx, i can read...and OBVIOUSLY i understand other people can like music i dont enjoy. and most of the time...power to them. but in the case of (yet again due to convenience) dimmy burger, i just think youre an imbecile. and i have the right to that opinion. flounder in it, or get over it...but i can do this all day.

NineFeetUnderground said:
if i lose "clout" or respect due to my negative rants, then i wont lose any sleep over it.

Being disliked by a person on an internet message board is the same as if a gay midget prostitute from Beijing didn't like you.

NineFeetUnderground said:
anyone who actually KNOWS me on here knows what im like, and what im about. and also of my opinion and stance on this forum and most of the kids in it. that speaks volumes really. regardless...i do help people with recommendations when asked, and i take pride in my knowledge/validity in doing so for people in a positive manner. if i lose "clout" or respect due to my negative rants, then i wont lose any sleep over it. trust me...life goes on as usual for me if i dont get another person into a band i like.

I really don't get you, I said I would probably give the bands you mentioned a listen, and so I don't get your point? I'm the one who didn't convince you to listen to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia by Dimmu Borgir. However someone who does like that style of music or wants to try something new may see that post and take a listen to that album, that is the point of this thread is it not?

I gave it the ranking I did because I have heard all of Dimmu Borgirs stuff, this album is better for my tastes by 100 fold, its got a sharp production and is a lot more complex and musically deep than any of their other stuff, including the abums after, which have lacked in that same blasting production.

I've never said this album is better than anything else, just that I like it. I like to listen to it, and I've never said its better than anything you recommended.

Thanks for your recommendations by the way, there has never been a doubt that you probably like some cool bands, and your attacks seem to come out of no where for no reason, but aside from these off topic posts hopefully we can both get people on here to listen to something different, even if they won't like it as much as we do. That's the whole point remember. If they have already heard it and don't like it then they probably won't listen to it again, and thats fair enough. :cool:

-Vintersorg- said:
Yeah I wasn't having a go mate.. this kinda Metal isn't my thing at all.. but then again I am listening to the Butterfly Effect right now (an Australian band).. so to each their own indeed.

It's all good...I just got a little defensive...I like me some Bolt Thrower ;) :D. Anyway...Orphaned land...who was mentioned a little while ago is really good too.

Well he couldn't actually make himself useful... not until someone asks 7 times, and then maybe they will get a response. That is relevant... maybe.

I listen to them, but I wouldn't say they are my favourite band at all. I much prefer more gimmicky bands to be honest! As in bands that aren't straight DM, BM whatever, but I will happily listen to the more straight forwards stuff as well.

Less bitching - more recommendations, c'mon.

cover-sol-big.jpg

This album is pretty much 'the shit' and paramount of the whole Meshuggah style. Fredrik Thordendal took some time out and collaborated with a variety of great musicians, so what you hear is a mixture of neo-psychadelia, jazz fusion, rhythmic thrash metal etc. Lyrics are excerpts from various texts, or quotes from various people, all relating to a common zero-ground on which they all saw eye to eye on. Fantastic album. Still in my Top 3 of all time.

Yeah I'm the same - bands with a bit of diversity. But, I too get my kicks out of simplicity some of the time..

Let's get back on topic:

Entombed - Clandestine

152.jpg

Now here's a mean slab for those unfortunate (or is the word 'fortunate'?) souls who've never encountered effectively written and well-executed Swedish death metal. While Clandestine remains pristinely brutal throughout its pummeling duration, there's always a slight hint of melody and song craft present, genuine musicianship shining through even in those particularly ugly little sections littering the album. Clandestine is imbued with an amazing degree of catchiness, given its prized position within the metal underground. Fast chords (muted and chugging varieties) and ever-shifting percussion keeps the energy flowing, while bluesy solos and intricate, apocalyptic leads keep the listener surprised and attentive at ever turn. Songs are simply bursting with energy and aggression, at once distorted noise and kick-ass hookery. Vocals are shouted in an amply gruff voice, but we're also treated to absolutely absurd (but entirely fun) screams-o-agony and the occasional espousal of rhetoric. Apocalyptic doom tempos are present in abundance, adding a wonderful horror movie (I'm talking about the faux religious ones from the seventies) atmosphere, and who can resist that classic Swedish groove that Entombed more than mastered? As much as I would like to sit here and pretend that Clandestine is great, influential art of untold ramifications for rock music, I simply can't without rolling on the floor guffawing at my utter bullshittery. The album is fun beyond measure and about as self-serious as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with about the equivalent amount of "serious" content. It is, along with the profoundly influential Like an Everflowing Stream (Dismember) and Dark Recollections (Carnage), a sick slab of exploding metal fury in the classic Swedish school. Or something along those lines.

edit: yeh, so, i didnt even read that review before i plagiarised it.. your point?

If you like SOAD their new album shouldn't disapoint, its a lot more like their first 2 albums, being that all the singles of the new sessions ended up on Mezmerize basically, so Hypnotize is full of more serious songs... well, serious for SOAD... good for a laugh, and a lot better than I was expecting, but this isn't my real recommendation, no...

The Locust - Safety Second, Body Last

This is very different to Plague Soundscapes, the first album of theirs I got and loved, this is a slower CD clocking in at around 10 minutes for 2 songs, which by Locust standards is epic!

Especially the first track "Armless And Overactive, Who's Handling The Population Paste, Invented Organs, New Tongue Sweepstakes" which is about 6 minutes and almost sounds like doom... Sounds like I am just making this stuff up now, but yeah, its a Locust-Style-Doom, even the vocals are not so screamish, yet they are still in amongst the noise.

I totally wasn't expecting this after hearing the Old Locust stuff, but its cool that they are experimenting!

7.5/10

mainly because its short... but what do you expect from a band like them?!
Not for fans of "proper" music with easily identifiable verses and choruses and chords and understandable lyrics... but if you can get into it you'll love it! And it will only take you a minute to listen to an average locust song (around 50 seconds), so give them a listen!

thelocust2005safetysecond,bodylast.jpg

Aeturnus- beyond the wandering moon

The Chasm- procession to the infraworld and Conjuration of the Spectral empire

pan.thy.monium- Dawn of dreams and Diabolical Masquerade- deaths design (for the dude who asked for Swano stuff)

graveland- dawn of iron blades(his other albums blow compared to his one)

miasma- changes

pain of salvation- one hour by the concrete lake

Lost_Orchid said:
Anyway...Orphaned land...who was mentioned a little while ago is really good too.

Yes, yes they are. A metal band from Israel? The Holy Land? Who would've thought?

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION:
Mithras: 'Worlds beyond the veil'
Mithras are one of the few death metal band which have created something unique and truly inspirational with the genre. Hailing from Rugby, Leon macy (guitar and drums) and Raynar Coss (oratory and bass) have created this amazing epic which is both brutal and extremely fast, but also cosmic sounding, and epic in the extreme. Classic death metal is combined with gorgeous spacey sonic landscapes, awesome melody and wonderful dynamics. The vocals are unique and narrate the epic concept in such a heroic way. The whole album builds and builds until the final cataclysmic track, which sounds truly like a war in the cosmos. This band are so underrated its painful. They are in my opinion as ground breaking and complex as more established bands as nile and emperor, and have the musicianship to match. seriously... find this CD today!

This is a good album:

THE3RDANDTHEMORTAL_FLIE.JPG

The 3rd And The Mortal 'Tears Laid In Earth' (1994)

This album proves that not every atmospheric-metal-with-female-vocals band must play sweet and boring music.