The Systematic Mixing Guide - NOW OUT!

apostrophes are not for plural nouns :zombie:

Grammar nazi. Leave it be, bro. Hahaha.

It's the interwebz dude, it's the wild west. We all have our style of verbiage.

:fu:

j/p but seriously, no need for this in Ermz' showcase of his new e-book! =D

I'm only getting 'butthurt' because Phil is my BEST FRIEND and as you probably know, studio partner. So, I'm sticking up for a friend.

Best wishe's. =D

apostrophes are not for plural nouns :zombie:

gotta agree here :lol: while i don't really care much, i think it's peculiar how a native english speaker would write like that - it doesn't save you any effort, in fact you just have to type more :zombie: :lol:

you guys would be SHOCKED at how many NATIVE English speakers actually, for one SPEAK the language and TWO, how terrible they are at spelling.

Proper literacy is not that common here, I must be honest, hahaha...

but hey, as long as your point is coming across, it's all good in my book =D

/end discussion.

BACK TO ERMZ' RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING e-BOOK!! =D <3 <3 <3

I'll try to get a hand on this, for me it's hard to pay for thing outside of my country and Paypals and stuff, but I really want this, though I'd really love to get a printed copy

FYI (and I hope Ermz doesn't mind!), I printed it out at work (sexy printers, ftw) and had it spiral bound at Staples for five bucks. I like the idea of eBooks, but flipping through pages is always better with the real deal - and there's a lot of great stuff to flip through!

Fantastic work Ermz, I learned a bunch from the vocal and bass chapters in particular. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole guide, its a great balance between being informative and entertaining.

Gave it a little plug on Gearsnobs as well :)

Jind said:
And capital letters and periods commonly begin and end sentences. :p

Just busting you a little bit! :lol: No malice intended.

Touché, sir.

SigmundFreud33 said:
Grammar nazi. Leave it be, bro. Hahaha.

It's the interwebz dude, it's the wild west. We all have our style of verbiage.

:fu:

j/p but seriously, no need for this in Ermz' showcase of his new e-book! =D

I'm only getting 'butthurt' because Phil is my BEST FRIEND and as you probably know, studio partner. So, I'm sticking up for a friend.

Best wishe's. =D

It's cool dude, I didn't mean to sound snobbish or anything, I just found that to be probably the weirdest thing I've seen a native speaker do around here (probably even non-natives), and couldn't resist the urge. I correct people for a living (I teach English) so I usually have to fight myself not to post corrections on simple mistakes that non-natives commit on the Internet. With Ermin's eloquent way of speaking, I figured at least it would fit the thread :lol:

I apologize to the bearded master, I will stop this nonsense. One thing though, calling out someone for using apostrophes for plural nouns is HARDLY being a grammar Nazi ;-)

Anyway, I can't wait to get the book next week!

Native speakers write how they talk, and that can fuck up spelling and shit.
Non-native speakers talk how they write, so they sometimes can't pronounce words for shit and get a thick accent.

Don't really post here, but just posting to say a couple of things: firstly, I bought it and it's great - thanks!

Secondly, can someone clear something up for me? I'm confusing myself re-reading it, but on pages 13-14 Ermz says the following:
Page 13
Start by opening up the Attack. This will determine the size of transients you allow
through the compressor. If we&#8217;re compressing drums, you will generally find that you
prefer slower attacks on direct tracks, when searching for punch. On vocals you might
find anything faster than a quick/medium attack lets too many plosives and other

[continued on page 14]
distractions through. Essentially, the faster your attack, the more you stifle the transient
content of the signal. And the slower the attack, the more natural, albeit less controlled
it will sound.

The bit I've bolded is the part confusing me - I had presumed that a slower attack would let more through the comp. at higher volume, and now I'd like to know if plosives etc. show through more with a faster attack... I presume that must be the case, unless a mistake slipped through the proof-reading (unlikely) so could someone explain it a bit for me? Sorry if this is a pretty noobish question :(

Don't really post here, but just posting to say a couple of things: firstly, I bought it and it's great - thanks!

Secondly, can someone clear something up for me? I'm confusing myself re-reading it, but on pages 13-14 Ermz says the following:

The bit I've bolded is the part confusing me - I had presumed that a slower attack would let more through the comp. at higher volume, and now I'd like to know if plosives etc. show through more with a faster attack... I presume that must be the case, unless a mistake slipped through the proof-reading (unlikely) so could someone explain it a bit for me? Sorry if this is a pretty noobish question :(

I also noticed this, and I too thought it was a typo. unless something is really eluding me here. The text surrounding the sentence confirms this, as far as I can see. I understand it as "Fast attack = more controlled but also stiff/unnatural sounding. Slow atack = Less control over the transient, but more natural sounding", which is a train of thought I've been following for quite a while now.

You guys are right, it should in fact be 'slower'. I'm quite amazed that slipped through the multiple phases of proof-reading, but I suppose it illustrates that we're all human. I'll do an update to the guide, which will be propagated to all the buyers. Thanks!

Cool! Don't worry about it by the way, these things just happen when writing about something with as many technical terms as audio engineering. I bet everyone of us has mixed up things like highpass and lowpass more than once...

I'm done reading it by the way, so here is a quick review :) Feel free to use parts of it on your site.

I like the hands-on approach Ermin used for the book. As a reference, I've read Mixing Audio by Roey izhaki a while ago, which was very broad and in depth about how and why certain tools work. It was a great and enlightening read, but it was also very general.

This book seems to slot in perfectly with that background information. Ermin's way of explaining things is very practical and of direct use in a session I might be working on right now. Also, it's dedicated to mixing metal and rock in particular, which in my opinion forms a big hole in the market currently. There are just things that are done differently in those genres, and quite drastically so.

There is no such thing as a preset for anything, but it is incredibly helpful to read what discoveries a more experienced engineer in the same field has made, because it can save you a lot of trial and error that said engineer has already been through, and it opens your eyes to possible improvements and creativity in your own workflow.

Some of the techniques that are mentioned in the book are things that I've only very recently grasped for myself, and they have improved my mixes quite drastically (especially the bass-chapter mentions a few things that can save you headaches). If I would have had a chance to read this book a few years ago, I would have developed in those areas a lot faster .

And it goes without saying that I've also picked up quite a few new things in the book that I didn't do/pay attention to so far, and I can easily see how they will improve my results. I'm sure these new insights will come in very helpful on my next mix.

While it is true that a lot of this information can already be found on this forum, I personally find it much more productive to have them bundled in an easy to reference package, without sifting through the internet for days, and probably getting distracted from my goal every 2 minutes. I don't know about you guys, but whenever I search for something, I always end up with 20 tabs about completely different things I've found on my search. Fuck that, give me a book!

So thank you very much again for an interesting read Ermin. This one will get an honorary place on my workingdesk. :)

If you're going to do an update...

Page 42:

"Ultimately, using a bass DI for the bulk of the low-end of your bass tone will leave you dealing with less unforeseen nonlinearities."

Should be "fewer" instead of "less."

Page 85:

"If you have ever analyzed a professional production, you would have very likely been taken back by how thin..."

Unless it's different in Australia, this should be "taken aback," since "taken back" would be a time-related experience.

Don't mean to nitpick, but I figure you, the perfectionist, might want to know about tiny little things, although little grammar oddities might not even be relevant since the guide is written for the most part colloquially.

You guys are right, it should in fact be 'slower'. I'm quite amazed that slipped through the multiple phases of proof-reading, but I suppose it illustrates that we're all human. I'll do an update to the guide, which will be propagated to all the buyers. Thanks!
Well, that's a relief - I don't claim to be an expert but for a minute I thought my understanding of compressors was a little flawed :oops:

It's a minor thing compared to the rest of the info on there and I'm sure most people are less self-doubting than me and would presume it to be a typo. I haven't spotted anything else in there that sparked similar confusion so it's a better read than I think I could ever manage!