The Top 5 List Thread

Listening to Trivium reminds me of my old high school girlfriend. She listened to that kind of stretched-earlobe alternative lifestyle chuggy generic/melodic metal bullshit. Probably had a crush on that faggot singer too.

Yuck. :tickled:

Reactions: The Butt
The horrible image of dudebros with short hair, energy drink hats and tribal tattoos headbanging with their hairy calf muscles poking out of their long shorts and their shitty skate brand shoes comes to my mind when I hear them.

I was just watching the clip for "Anthem (We Are The Fire)" and I was trying to skip it because I thought it was an advert. I love how they walk in looking all gay but they're supposed to be threatening and edgy or something, pushing around some guy in a business suit even though it's probably their irl manager or image consultant, those faggots. :lol:

He's sexy.

1201240253273522907_v1.jpg

Can't speak for later Enslaved, but I'm a big fan of Vikingligr Veldi and there's nothing special about his vocals imo. Weird choice for the best of the genre.

Nocturno Culto (especially on A Blaze...) gets my vote for the best black metal vocalist. Absolutely fucking wretched, disgusting and depraved. His vocals on Transilvanian Hunger are also worth noting, incredibly haunting. And of course the sheer balls of his vocals on Panzerfaust.

The vocals in that Trivium song were painful in a bad way and it sounds like he's straining incredibly hard.

Harsh vocalists tend to get worse and not better with age, especially those who frequently play live. But fine, I'll listen to some newer Enslaved to see what they sound like.

Top five science fiction novels since 1945 (can't believe I haven't done this, but search didn't turn up anything):

1. Ubik (Philip K. Dick, 1969)
2. Blindsight (Peter Watts, 2006)
3. Neuromancer (William Gibson, 1984)
4. The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. Le Guin, 1969)
5. Dawn (Octavia Butler, 1987)

This was really difficult for me, and honorable mentions include:

Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke (this one didn't make it because Blindsight is basically RwR updated for a neuropunk future)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (decided to go with Ubik; but honestly, I could have put a few PKD novels in my top five)
The Female Man, by Joanna Russ (so many great '70s feminist sf works, I went with Left Hand)
Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, by Samuel Delany (awesome political sf, might be in the top five someday)
The Dispossessed, by U.K. Le Guin (again, great political sf; but I already have Le Guin on there...)

So many more...